Why don't teams blitz Iowa every down

nilekinnick

love the Hawks, but until we can make teams pay I would.

Was nice to see Stanley throw a few long balls in 2nd half. The 2nd TD to Fants, I believe he held less than 2 seconds before throwing. When Wyoming is putting 9 in the box would love to see a couple quick deep throws early as a way to open running game.

They read that article from 10 years or so ago, where purportedly Iowa made a first down on a forward pass. Maybe it was a TD, not sure. I saw it on the internet, confident that it is so. Thats why.

Teams always stack the box against Iowa. Its just always that way. Sometimes and on average about 7 out of 12 times a year, Iowa makes them pay for this gamble.

They read that article from 10 years or so ago, where purportedly Iowa made a first down on a forward pass. Maybe it was a TD, not sure. I saw it on the internet, confident that it is so. Thats why.

Teams always stack the box against Iowa. Its just always that way. Sometimes and on average about 7 out of 12 times a year, Iowa makes them pay for this gamble.
Pretty sure most would agree Iowa has better personnel & better coached in 7 out of 12 games a year. Just saying if I was a def coordinator I would pressure than play them straight up. Even putting 8 in box your just daring them to throw. As good as run blocking is, not sure any of us feel same about pass blocking last few years.

it feels like that's ALL TEAM DO is BLITZ us. Run- and pass-blitz. We, however, seem to NEVER do that. frustrates the heck out of me. Seems our qbs, year in, year out, are always running for their lives. Meanwhile, the opposing qbs seem to never be under pressure, unless one of those magical years where our D-line is full of upperclassman studs. Just my opinion. Not sure if sacks allowed vs team sack numbers yearly would prove that

it feels like that's ALL TEAM DO is BLITZ us. Run- and pass-blitz.
Why wouldn't you?

Until Stanley proves that he can stop throwing into coverage and not drop the football on the ground I'd do it every time. Our OL got throttled by a community college last week, god help this team in the B1G.

Why wouldn't you?

Until Stanley proves that he can stop throwing into coverage and not drop the football on the ground I'd do it every time. Our OL got throttled by a community college last week, god help this team in the B1G.

Throttled is a bit much, community college is a bit much. Teams DO blitz Iowa all the time, they still tend to win more then they lose most seasons.

it feels like that's ALL TEAM DO is BLITZ us. Run- and pass-blitz. We, however, seem to NEVER do that. frustrates the heck out of me. Seems our qbs, year in, year out, are always running for their lives. Meanwhile, the opposing qbs seem to never be under pressure, unless one of those magical years where our D-line is full of upperclassman studs. Just my opinion. Not sure if sacks allowed vs team sack numbers yearly would prove that

I know what you mean. I hate to say I'm a Vikes fan also and it always seems that the other guys are in our backfield all day and we're never in theirs. I've also noticed that great pass protection teams are never great rushing teams and vise versa. I always thought the run opened up the pass game and if that's true then how do you account for T.Brady and P. Manning and A. Rogers teams in the past and why the vikes sucked ass with Peterson rushing for chunks at a time and they still couldn't pass the ball more than 5 yard outs. I think it all comes down to athletic rushing type o-linemen vs big concrete not so athletic style pass block o-lineman.
If anyone has the answer enlighten me please. I'm getting to old to keep figuring it out.

A young QB with little experience on the road in a hostile environment? Yeah, I'd blitz the hell out of him.

Why wouldn't you?

Iowa State's defensive line pretty much is a Junior college defensive line. (transfers) So I'm not sure the opposing defensive line will be any more of a challenge that last week.

Throttled is a bit much, community college is a bit much. Teams DO blitz Iowa all the time, they still tend to win more then they lose most seasons.
Community college is satire; "Throttled" is not.

There's no way that with Iowa's facilities, coaching staff salaries, and recruiting advantage over a Wyoming that we should be letting D lineman harass our backfield that way.

Community college is satire; "Throttled" is not.

There's no way that with Iowa's facilities, coaching staff salaries, and recruiting advantage over a Wyoming that we should be letting D lineman harass our backfield that way.

Iowa had 2 line man making their fist start. Meyers and Daniels being out could have had something to do with that. I also dunno why you would say that the line giving up 2 sacks is throttled. I watched a different game I guess.

Last edited:
Im afraid we may not be able to keep up scoring with them. the PsyClowns will definitely put up more than 7 points against us. I think we need 31 to win this one.

Just because you know they're going to run doesn't mean you should blitz. If you blitz a run and it gets picked up, or you blitz the wrong gap, you could be in big trouble.

ISU blitzed more than I have ever seen them in the UNI game. I imagine they'll do the same against Iowa for good or ill.

Iowa's D "throttled" Wyoming's - IMO. Iowa kept it pretty vanilla because it could. With a 21-3 lead in the 3rd Q and the defense abusing Wyoming, Iowa was best suited to keep it plain and get on to next week.

Just because you know they're going to run doesn't mean you should blitz. If you blitz a run and it gets picked up, or you blitz the wrong gap, you could be in big trouble.
Bingo. All it takes is one man to get out of his gap and it's off to the races with nobody at the second level to clean up.

Bingo. All it takes is one man to get out of his gap and it's off to the races with nobody at the second level to clean up.
Yup and against a RB like Wadley it's playing with fire... Even if say a quick hitting pass to him would serve a similar purpose. Nothing would make a DC cringe more then Wadley in the open field against just a safety and 20 yards of grass on both sides for him to run around him....

The defense always has at least a one man advantage on the offense, because it's 10 vs. 11, with one person having the ball. What are you going to do with that extra person? Blitz? Play free? If you constantly blitz, you'll get burned. Now, you could play a 4 man front and blitz 1, which will continue to give you a one man advantage overall, but you also haven't filled any extra gaps either. He's just basically flying to his gap, for which an OL will have responsibility.

If you truly blitz to gain a numbers advantage in a gap, there will be gaps open. If you try to gain a numbers advantage up front, you will leave your D-backfield at a disadvantage. Not a problem when you do it on occasion, but when you to it a lot or do it on predictable downs and/or distances, you're making it easy on the OC to find mismatches and advantages in numbers somewhere on the field.