Why don't college coaches make better use of 2 for 1 situations?

DuffMan

Butler had a great opportunity today, they were down one and had the ball with about 55 seconds left. If you work quick you should be able to find a good shot with 40-45 seconds left on the game clock. Even if you you miss you are likely going to get the ball back. If you make a bucket you are in the driver seat up one and likely going to have the last shot as well.

They do it in the NBA all the time, why don't college coaches make better use of those situations?

that's a good point... I'm not sure I've ever heard any announcers talk about it being utilized in the college game but it's always used in the NBA.

Butler had a great opportunity today, they were down one and had the ball with about 55 seconds left. If you work quick you should be able to find a good shot with 40-45 seconds left on the game clock. Even if you you miss you are likely going to get the ball back. If you make a bucket you are in the driver seat up one and likely going to have the last shot as well.

They do it in the NBA all the time, why don't college coaches make better use of those situations?

I was thinking this as well. Maybe it's because of the longer shot clock?

I'm sure the default is "I'd rather have one good shot than two bad ones", but I'd trust Mack and Howard to run a quick two man game in that situation.

The stupid part is they ran the shot clock down to 9 seconds called a time out and had to hurry a shot anyways. If they would of took a shot in the first 9 seconds they'd of guaranteed a shot at win if they missed and florida made it. Obviously it worked out for them, but I was thinking the exact same thing.

I've thought for a long time that most teams have absolutely atrocious possessions the last minute or two of close games. Hold the ball, drain the clock, and then throw up a desperation 3 with the shot clock running out (or a tough 2 point shot), that ends up being off the mark. You see it over and over again. Why not continue to run your offense and look for a good shot instead of stalling with a 2 point lead?

Regarding 2 for 1 - absolutely correct. I'm no basketball expert, but last minute of a game, if you have 2 possessions to 1 for your opponent, I have to believe you are at an advantage.

Probably for the same reason they'll call timeout less than 15 seconds or so before a dead ball will result in a media timeout. Lickliter did that **** all time, and it drove me nuts. Almost without fail, Iowa would need those timeouts at the end of the game.

Hell, Sean Miller called a timeout at with 3:25 left tonight.

The 3 pointer has really changed late game strategy. Lots of games in the tourney where teams ahead or behind jacked up 3's early in the shot clock without running their set or trying to get dribble penetration. I don't know if the game has changed that much, or if it is Sports Center induced infatuation with launching 3's, but Bobby Knight has probably broken a few tv's in the past few days watching the shot selection of some of these teams. FSU's Kitchen couldn't have made two worse decisions last night.

I feel less stupid after reading this thread. I wonder this same thing every time I see it, including this instance. It just seems like common sense to me.

My opinion is that in college,coaches control the game much more,and really do not trust their players to operate effectively in a short clock situation..ie. get a good shot within 7-8 seconds...I think they fear that the players will play out of rythmn and take a bad shot to get that second shot.
Even in the NBA, it does not seem to actually result in two made baskets that often.

I agree that the florida last possession in regulation was horrible...walker just running clock til jacking a three...when you have dominance inside,and only need a point to win? Not good.

Latest posts