why doesn't Gabe play?

Because Fran is trying very hard to win as many basketball games as possible this year and right now Gabe isn't the best option for the team.

Read Fran's presser comments from yesterday and that will answer your question. Basabe, McCabe, and White are getting most of minutes at 4 and 5 positions. Archie, Brommer and Gabe have smaller roles, depending on opponent.

There are only so many minutes to go around and Gabe is at bottom of totem pole. You may or may not have noticed that Brommer and Archie are not getting that many minutes either but their experience puts them ahead of Gabe at this time.

Of course, there is a related theory that Fran is not a good coach and doesnt recognize what Gabe can contribute to the team. You supporting that theory???

Per McCaffrey's presser, Archie gives more athleticism and Brommer gives better passing and size (over Olaseni). It seems even McCaffrey wants to see what Olaseni can do, but as others have mentioned, just doesn't feel he is a better option than B&A.

Kind of mystifying why McCaffrey recruited a guy to sit on the bench during a year when we desperately needed help or at least didn't red shirt him. Meyer and Woodbury are better than Archie & Brommer, thus making it more difficult to find PT for Olaseni next season IMO.

Unrelated, but weren't we in on Ross Travis, who ultimately signed with PSU? He looks like a budding Aaron Fuller.

Kind of mystifying why McCaffrey recruited a guy to sit on the bench during a year when we desperately needed help or at least didn't red shirt him. Meyer and Woodbury are better than Archie & Brommer, thus making it more difficult to find PT for Olaseni next season IMO.

No mystery here. Gabe was recruited so that if Archie or Brommer went down with a season ending injury, we had another body to throw in that gap. The advantage that Gabe will have over the newcomers is a years experience in the system.

No mystery here. Gabe was recruited so that if Archie or Brommer went down with a season ending injury, we had another body to throw in that gap. The advantage that Gabe will have over the newcomers is a years experience in the system.

Correct. At beginning of year, Brommer was dealing with bad knee and Archie was limited too, as I recall. (He has had so many injuries, it is hard to keep track) . Fran didnt want to keep Gabe out as wanted to be sure he was ready if needed.

Possible redshirt if Woody and Meyer are as good as projected but that would put them all in same class. I dont think Fran plans to redshirt anyone unless injured and unable to play.

I would have to say that if Fran doesn't put him in then he is probably quite a liability on offense or defense. Yes, it is hard to believe he isn't any better than Brommer.

People have to keep in mind Gabe has not been playing organized basketball for very long. He is a converted soccer player from England. I think he will get a few more minutes next year.

People have to keep in mind Gabe has not been playing organized basketball for very long. He is a converted soccer player from England. I think he will get a few more minutes next year.

Right, which is why it kind of surprised me that he even seen any action this year. Ideally they would have redshirted him.

Correct. At beginning of year, Brommer was dealing with bad knee and Archie was limited too, as I recall. (He has had so many injuries, it is hard to keep track) . Fran didnt want to keep Gabe out as wanted to be sure he was ready if needed.

Possible redshirt if Woody and Meyer are as good as projected but that would put them all in same class. I dont think Fran plans to redshirt anyone unless injured and unable to play.

Gabe's not the type of player we should be redshirting anyway. No use tying up a scholarship for another year when he's the type of guy Fran will hopefully be recruiting over.

Yeah i don't know why we would recruit someone who doesn't play at all. I imagine once he develops he will be a 10-15 mpg guy backing up woody next year. McCabe will probably back up Basabe at the 4 and White will slide over to the starting 3 as a swing man who can go to the 4 when we want to go smaller. That means Meyer will probably serve the role of 7 mpg guy like brommer this year who comes in when we want to give fouls or at the end of the half so we can keep Basabe and Woody out of foul trouble.

Latest posts