Why doesn’t Brian face the media?

There is no upside, but rather the fact that everyone has to answer the questions that he should be the one answering. Everyone else has to face the heat yet week after week he keeps getting a pass and gets to dodge the media.
Who is everyone else in this scenario? I think Kirk's only made Parker available so far. So, literally only one person (or 2 if you want to count Kirk) has faced the heat. No one is facing it week after week except the Capt and that's because it's his call and he doesn't make his Coordinators available to the media

Last edited:
Who is everyone else in this scenario? I think Kirk's only made Parker available so far. So, literally only one person (or 2 if you want to count Kirk) has faced the heat. No one is facing it week after week except the Capt and that's because it's his call and he doesn't make his Coordinators available to the media
Fair assessment. But why should he get protection and limited access to the media. Kirk knows it's coming yet does nothing to put him out there to address it. Why should Cade or any other individual have to answer questions directly pertaining to those that should be answered by the OC himself?

Edit: I'll add that I should have used "anyone" rather than "everyone" in initial post you responded to.

I don't think that's by choice....it's amazing to me the power some people think BF has. Like, he's not calling this shot? In what world does anyone think that it's his decision on whether or not he's available to the press?
While it may not be "by choice" I think we can both agree that it's ironic that after one of the worst offensive performances of the KF era the OC isn't made available to the media.

While it may not be "by choice" I think we can both agree that it's ironic that after one of the worst offensive performances of the KF era the OC isn't made available to the media.
There's no irony, this is scheduled ahead of time. The press knew they were getting Parker after week 4 since the beginning of the season. BF was made available last year during our impressive stretch of being the worst offense in the country. He will be made available again later THIS season as well. Just later in the year. You might recall last season when he was made available and gave the famous "what's the upside" quote right? He's going to get his time in the hot seat.

He doesn't dodge anything though. He takes orders from his boss... just like most of us who are employed by someone. He sat down for 3 hours to visit with Chad Leistikow for a podcast during the offseason last year and the year before that. You should take a listen, he's very humble and knows that he isn't doing a good enough job at Iowa. That doesn't mean that he's going to run away from the challenge. Iowa football means more to Brian Ferentz then I am guessing anyone who roams this site.

but...I get what you are saying, I just don't think you fully understand how they make position coaches available at Iowa. I also am not saying that BF shouldn't be made available or that he shouldn't have to answer to the press. I think he should. He will, so I am not that worried about it. His time is coming and I think he should have to answer to it more than Cade (but Cade is fine too because he's now being paid to play at Iowa and is our starting QB, comes with the gig).

There's no irony, this is scheduled ahead of time. The press knew they were getting Parker after week 4 since the beginning of the season. BF was made available last year during our impressive stretch of being the worst offense in the country. He will be made available again later THIS season as well. Just later in the year. You might recall last season when he was made available and gave the famous "what's the upside" quote right? He's going to get his time in the hot seat.

He doesn't dodge anything though. He takes orders from his boss... just like most of us who are employed by someone. He sat down for 3 hours to visit with Chad Leistikow for a podcast during the offseason last year and the year before that. You should take a listen, he's very humble and knows that he isn't doing a good enough job at Iowa. That doesn't mean that he's going to run away from the challenge. Iowa football means more to Brian Ferentz then I am guessing anyone who roams this site.

but...I get what you are saying, I just don't think you fully understand how they make position coaches available at Iowa. I also am not saying that BF shouldn't be made available or that he shouldn't have to answer to the press. I think he should. He will, so I am not that worried about it. His time is coming and I think he should have to answer to it more than Cade (but Cade is fine too because he's now being paid to play at Iowa and is our starting QB, comes with the gig).
Great response and you are right. Hypotheticals and reality are two different things and I didn't realize how far out in advance these things are lined up. And totally understand and agree with you that that Iowa means more to BF then any of us can imagine, but also knowing that in addition to how long he's struggled as an OC I've found myself asking the question if it's not in his control (following dad's plan) or not something he's figured out yet then why tarnish things further and just step down or demote himself to position coach again where he had more success.

I'm not saying its a no brainer, or anything that's easy to do, but most of us have all run into situations in which we realize we're in way over our heads and simply can't find our way out or do what is expected of us and when I have I've realized that I'm in a position I shouldn't be and have either made the decision to do what's best for myself and the organization whether that be through demotion or resignation.

Great response and you are right. Hypotheticals and reality are two different things and I didn't realize how far out in advance these things are lined up. And totally understand and agree with you that that Iowa means more to BF then any of us can imagine, but also knowing that in addition to how long he's struggled as an OC I've found myself asking the question if it's not in his control (following dad's plan) or not something he's figured out yet then why tarnish things further and just step down or demote himself to position coach again where he had more success.

I'm not saying its a no brainer, or anything that's easy to do, but most of us have all run into situations in which we realize we're in way over our heads and simply can't find our way out or do what is expected of us and when I have I've realized that I'm in a position I shouldn't be and have either made the decision to do what's best for myself and the organization whether that be through demotion or resignation.
Right? There is no way this is any fun for BF. I kind of believe he's likely tried to leave and discussed leaving and was told "you're not the problem, stay with me and help get this fixed".... but they aint fixed shit. They might have made it worse.

Right? There is no way this is any fun for BF. I kind of believe he's likely tried to leave and discussed leaving and was told "you're not the problem, stay with me and help get this fixed".... but they aint fixed shit. They might have made it worse.

Interesting angle.
I think, though, that the real heat came last season. The FireBrian change.org had been around for what? A year and a half before last season. I didn't sign it until last season.

Prior to last year, I was in the camp of "yah, we're still having success, despite a couple down years and a general decline. Petras is gonna get better and better like Stanzi."

I can't imagine Brian felt any different.
Then...last year. Dismal.
But hey, we got Cade coming. The O-line isnt so young anymore. We got something going!
It's how I felt.
Can't imagine he felt any different.

If he doesn't feel it now, like I do, I'd be shocked.

One thing about the captain…he marches himself out there & take’s what little punishment the Iowa media fandom can dish at him weekly. His response doesn’t change much. It’s always been aw shucks, but centers around “cleaning up” & “working harder”. I certainly have grown weary of his responses, but he does continue to own it in his own way & really doesn’t make excuses.

On the other hand, I find it very interesting that in lieu of brian facing the media this year, it’s cade McNamara. I have loads of respect for him. So far, he’s singing the company line in ownership of the offense.

The elephant in the room is…where is brian? He took questioning most weeks last year & in many cases made a buffoon out of himself. But the fact he’s hiding from the press this year or is being protected by Kirk really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And I just can’t believe they are getting away with it.
You mean when we are circling the drain on offense, he responds to a QB change with the now famous....what's the upside!

Latest posts