Why does KF not like to be held accountable?

It is actually the opposite. It works with poor offenses because it forces the other team to earn their way down the field, thus shortening the game and shortening the game, and taking away potential scoring opportunities.

What makes Indy's defense go is that Peyton gives them a lead alot, and their pass rush off the edge is one of the quickest in the game. They get a pass rush with four more than we do due to the speed of their edge.

Exactly. Tony Dungy made the cover 2 famous at Tampa Bay where he won a super bowl with a bad offense,a journeyman qb,and a great defense.

The cover 2 is now about 5 years old and the NFL has moved on because offenses adjusted to it. Thats the problem. Iowa doesn't adjust with the times. Offenses are ahead right now in CFB, and they are WAY ahead of Iowa's antiquated defense. It's evolve or become extinct, and Iowa is not evolving their offense or defense. And screw anyone that brings up USC and whoever else runs a pro-style offense I don't want to hear about it because Iowa isn't USC or any other team for that matter because every pro-style offense isn't created equal.

Wrong. The NFC North leading Chicago Bears still employ the cover 2.
Why is it still effective? Because they have a great pass rusher in Peppers and three of the fastest lbs in the game in Urlacher,Briggs and Tia.

When Iowa lost Tarp and Nielsen, they lost their lbs,and it hurt the effectiveness of this defense.

Why is it still effective? Because they have a great pass rusher in Peppers and three of the fastest lbs in the game in Urlacher,Briggs and Tia.

When Iowa lost Tarp and Nielsen, they lost their lbs,and it hurt the effectiveness of this defense.

Then why not adjust they way your going to cover? Simply throwing in backup linebackers doesn't seem like a good idea to me and btw, it turned out it wasn't. Again, no adjustments, that's the major rub that many people have.

Exactly. Tony Dungy made the cover 2 famous at Tampa Bay where he won a super bowl with a bad offense,a journeyman qb,and a great defense.

It was Gruden and that offense wasn't all that bad. Brad Johnson was a Pro Bowler and they had Mike Alstott in the backfield. Also had Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson as receivers.

Then why not adjust they way your going to cover? Simply throwing in backup linebackers doesn't seem like a good idea to me and btw, it turned out it wasn't. Again, no adjustments, that's the major rub that many people have.

Maybe it has to do with playing so many freshman and Kirk not wanting to change things up too much during the week.

It is possible that with so many young players playing key positions that the coaches didn't want to throw too much at them.

This small sampling of your posts suggests you're more of a fan than a member of the press.

Tell us what that is. We're all aware that Iowa lived on the edge and survived in 2009, and that they lived on that same edge in 2010 and did not. The difference between this year and last is the players (on both sides of the ball) didn't come through when they needed to. Yes, the coaches made some major gaffes, but in every instance where you want to point that out, I can point out three or four where if the players had just done their jobs, the coaching would not be an issue.

What ROI are you referring to? If you're a member of the press, you don't pay to get into games, and you sit in the press box, right?

As a member of the press, you obviously know that there is no press conference tomorrow.

I am both a fan, and member of the press. I'm a student at the University who writes for the team's website, Hawkeyesports.com. I still paid for my tickets this year, and the past few years, so that is the ROI I'm talking about.

As I said in a different post, I found out there was not a press conference after I posted it.

It was Gruden and that offense wasn't all that bad. Brad Johnson was a Pro Bowler and they had Mike Alstott in the backfield. Also had Keenan McCardell and Keyshawn Johnson as receivers.

Dungy made the defense famous way before Gruden got there. It was indeed Dungy, not Gruden who made the Tampa 2 defense popular.

Yes, but they do not employ it to the same degree that we do.

They blitz quite frequently.

Actually, Dungy did not win a SB while at Tampa Bay. In fact, he was fired from TB because he would not fire an assistant coach that was holding the team back from reaching the SB in the first place. Gruden was brought in to replace Dungy and the assistant coach in question left the team. Gruden then went on to win the next SB with the team Dungy had built. Gruden never saw the SB again.

Start off by saying this season sucked. I was very disappointed in the players, AND COACHING. Thought we were out coached a couple times, and I rarely think that.
BUT….
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure Kirk was offered the Michigan job before Rick Rod was. Kirk could have taken his entire staff to Michigan. He would have been able to recruit the talent needed to run his system. No doubt in my mind if KF was at Michigan, they would be a powerhouse. Instead, he stayed loyal to the Hawkeye Nation.
KF did not quit on us, DO NOT QUIT ON KF.

I really wish Kirk Ferentz and the Iowa coaching staff were as smart as all of you that seem to have the answers. Send your application to the university please.

No one is giving up on KF!! That's absurd. EVeryone is just ****** off about the lack of results this year when we had enough talent.

Jon, I respect the heck out of you, but what you've written here is the same ol' tired "Woe is us" stuff you always pull out every time someone criticizes Ferentz.

The fact of the matter is, I started this thread asking why KF refuses to be held accountable for what happens and you respond with "We are one bad hire away from being irrelevant, we have no built in advantages, all these other normally good teams stunk this year, blah, blah, blah."

I, nor anyone else who posted before you, called for KF's head on a platter. No one that is a relevant poster is calling for KF to be fired.

What I would like to know is when is it going to be his or his coaches fault? When? We put Stanzi under center at Arizona and don't have any quick passes or screens called to take advantage of what everyone (except for the coaching staff apparently) knows is coming....an all out blitz. How is blocking 8 guys with 5 an "execution" problem? Sounds like a coaching problem to me. Or against Wisconsin when everyone in the stadium (except for the coaching staff apparently) knows a fake punt is coming and they don't call punt safe......How is that an execution problem? Sounds like a coaching problem to me. Or against Ohio State when we put a linebacker on their slot (for the one millionth time) and they burn us once, but the guy drops it in the endzone so they go back to it and it's complete.......How is that an execution problem? Sounds like a coaching problem to me.

I can go on and on, but I think you get the point. At the end of the day, coaching decisions and philosophy based on the existing personnel have cost us more games than execution by the players. That's why Ferentz always goes to the "execution" card......because it puts the blame on the players. If he admitted that there were some philosophy issues that need to be tweaked or addressed, then that would admit that the coaching staff was at fault, and we can't have that.

Agree x 1,000,000.

This is the thing I don't get. He has referred to "execution" infinitely, especially this year.

First of all, Does he truly believe this as often as he states it?

If so, does it come from his NFL days where the term "execution" is definitely more of that vernacular? They are experienced professional football players ranging in age from ~21 to Brett Favre. They are EXPECTED to perform in a system perfectly, almost robotically because THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS, that is their ONLY job and that is what they are PAID to do. They don't have to also worry about being students, going to class, etc.

My point is does he treat his players like professionals to much? College players are 18-22 year olds. I have no idea what goes on in the locker room but it is obvious they have played with ZERO emotion during several games this year. (And not just this year). Again how can you possibly come out that flat against a Northwestern team that has owned you for so many years?? Shouldn't KF be focusing a little more on how much EMOTION his team plays with instead of how they "execute"? This lack of emotion falls directly on the coaching staff, specifically the head coach. Period. You can't expect college players to just go out and execute without any emotion and be consistently successful can you?

I feel KF needs to make some hard decisions and make the obvious coaching changes. On a smaller scale, he needs to adjust some of his philosophies. I also feel he needs to do some introspection because he didn't appear, this year at least, that he even cared to be on the sideline or enjoyed his time there. (The team eerily mirrored his demeanor, in my opinion). I know there were several off-the-field challenges that he had to deal with this year - some unique, some familiar. But he needs to dig down deep and be more responsive week-to-week during the actual season (scouting and strategizing come to mind) because some things can't wait "to be evaluated after the season is over."

He and his staff were outcoached miserably this year and their behavior was just plain odd at times. For instance, not playing Coker after his Ball St debut until well into the Big Ten schedule even though he kept telling the media "we need to get Marcus in the game". Or keeping his starters in the 4th quarter against Mich. St even though we were up by 30 because he wanted them to "finish a game". (ARob would have avoided his first concussion). Was he referring to the week before against Wisconsin because if anyone didn't "finish" the game it was the coaching staff, in my opinion.

I am still a KF supporter. He has done great things for this program. Maybe he just had a tough year given the challenges. But I think it would be a mistake for him to think he doesn't need to make at least a few changes. Un-Ferentz like changes.

Latest posts