why do we have sokol?

BergHawk7

all hes gonna be is a 2nd string qb behind jvb, and then Rudock. so why did we get a juco and only eligable for two yrs, when he'll only be backup?

JVB next yr, and Rudock (qb who wins iowa the big ten)

The only reason I can think of is this kid is meant to push the two in front of him. Hopefully JVB gets motivated properly because I doubt he is going anywhere.

Read Jon's piece. Iowa only has one scholly QB on roster after Vandenburg graduates. They want to redshirt him next year then compete with Ruddock in the future. Healthy competition.

the same reason stanzi signed when we had JC (the one with the stars and hype at the time). never a bad thing to have competition and depth, cause you never know what could happen.

it is a wise thing to have 1 QB in every year class
last i checked every DI school has 5 QB's on their roster
why do you feel Iowa either can't get 5 or need 5 on the roster
if they are good they will not be afraid of competition and they are just 1 injury away from starting

The kid obviously wants to be at Iowa, and he is not scared of competition. He knows Rudock is there and likely knows of what the kid accomplished in HS.

But that stuff stops mattering the second you step on campus. I wouldn't assume that the future belongs to Rudock, either. Sokol has thrown over 600 passes at the Juco level and has more than 50TD passes. He's seen looks that Rudock hasn't seen yet. Sokol will have a chance to go through two spring practices and next year before he and Rudock battle it out in August of 2013.

That's a lot of time to get familiar with Iowa's system, and Sokol is the more battle tested. It's a great pick up for Iowa IMO

wouldn't surprise me if Sokol ended up winning the job. but, from the brief tape i saw, isn't he coming in as a shotgun QB? might have some things to unlearn to get ready for the iowa system.

Maybe Rudock isn't Joe Montana Jr. like everyone here has convinced themselves that he is (the talk about Rudock sound an awful lot like the talk about JVB I heard here over the summer), and the coaches who see him play every day are worried about his development and want a back up plan in case he isn't ready after next year.

Maybe Rudock isn't Joe Montana Jr. like everyone here has convinced themselves that he is (the talk about Rudock sound an awful lot like the talk about JVB I heard here over the summer), and the coaches who see him play every day are worried about his development and want a back up plan in case he isn't ready after next year.

I have 2 concerns with Ruduck. 1. Have not seen him play on the Big10 field yet. 2. Until he gains 15 lbs, I don't want to see him on the Big10 field. I don't know if he is ready to take hits from 260-300 lb DL, and 230 lb blitzing LB's.

all hes gonna be is a 2nd string qb behind jvb, and then Rudock. so why did we get a juco and only eligable for two yrs, when he'll only be backup?

JVB next yr, and Rudock (qb who wins iowa the big ten)

People were probably saying the same thing about Brad Banks prior to 2001. He's just going to be Jon Beuter's backup.

wouldn't surprise me if Sokol ended up winning the job. but, from the brief tape i saw, isn't he coming in as a shotgun QB? might have some things to unlearn to get ready for the iowa system.

Isn't this the truth? Like Vandenberg all over again. Take a successful shotgun qb, put him under center, and hope he turns into Ricky Stanzi

why do we have sokol?

Kirk made the statement in an interview that they were recruiting what they felt was another "Brad Banks" like QB prospect. Sokol did play in a no huddle, hurry up type spread offense to put up his HUG passing numbers (3807 yards, 43 TDs, 10 INTS, 60% completion) but was very accurate, and showed that he can make every throw needed.

The NFL this year should be a strong enough indication of how important the QB spot is. The Colts and Bears were both solid playoff contenders until they lost their starting QBs. We need the BEST possible guy under center!

I think Sokol is a future NFL QB, and you DON'T pss those guys up! Time will tell if I am right.

After 2012, Ruddock is our only scholarship QB. We need some depth, we would be an INJ away from a complete nuclear winter on this web-site without 2 legit QB's. It is kind of like the cupboard being bare at DL right now, we better get some talent there quickly.

In answer to the original question:

Because teams generally recruit a QB every year, even when they have more QBs on the roster than Iowa does now.

Sokol will redshirt next season so he won't ever technically sit behind JVB. I don't think there's anything wrong with bringing in some competition for Rudock. I want Rudock to get the job, but I don't think we want another situation like this season where we only had Derby (for a partial season) and Weinke behind JVB. They didn't inspire a lot of confidence in the case that JVB had gone down with an injury.

Latest posts