Why do teams use prevent defense?

CHShawk

Iowa's defense played basically 28 minutes of the 2nd half very well. Then they went with prevent-style looks. But I'm not even asking specifically about today our how typically Iowa uses it.

Just in general, why do teams use it? I understand it's not give up the big play but it still allows easy 15 - 20 yard pass patterns. Three to five quick pass strikes (assuming the offense starts from its own 20 or 30 yd line) and a team can be in position to score while only using about a minute of game time. It just seems so ineffective unless there is less than about 30 seconds on the game clock and the offense has to drive most of the field while needing a TD.

Dude, the prevent is our BASE defense. We don;t just use it when we need to lose a game, we use it all game long.

Dude, the prevent is our BASE defense. We don;t just use it when we need to lose a game, we use it all game long.

Were you even watching the game? You people act like the only thing that characterizes a prevent defense is that the WR's are left wide open. We were not in prevent defense, we were pressing on the last TD drive and that was ******* stupid. That was a time where we actually should have played a cover 6 zone instead of a cover 1 man under.

Were you even watching the game? You people act like the only thing that characterizes a prevent defense is that the WR's are left wide open. We were not in prevent defense, we were pressing on the last TD drive and that was ******* stupid. That was a time where we actually should have played a cover 6 zone instead of a cover 1 man under.

Im not sure you were watching that last drive? When were we cover 1?.. we should have been when the field was long but we don't attack - ever, now do we?

And no we should be in cover 2 when the field is long. You just dont want to give up a TD in that situation, not necessarily get and out.

Im not sure you were watching that last drive? When were we cover 1?.. we should have been when the field was long but we don't attack - ever, now do we?

On the last TD pass I think Iowa was in straight man, cover 0, and blitzed.

Yes it was either cover 1 and the FS was cheating up or cover 1 I can't remember. I just remember how ****** i was we were running such a stupid call that late in the game.

On the last TD pass I think Iowa was in straight man, cover 0, and blitzed.

Yes... we should have been in that coverage on THIER side of the field. We were overwhelming them and Radcliff was feeling the pressure so what do we do? Sit back, concede the field then gamble on our goal line and give up the TD. Who didn't know that last drive was coming?

Latest posts