why did we wait to throw deep?

franstheman

Watching these other games, teams aren't afraid to go deep. We have playmakers outside. Why not use them when the other team is playing cover 1 or 0 every first down?

Yeah that was the most frustrating thing for me today. Every time JR threw a pass more than 15 yds past the LOS we had a good result, I think. But I bet that was attempted no more than 5-6 times. JR too gun shy, Greg Davis wedded to his horizontal scheme.

It is clear to anyone watching that Iowa has some real weapons at WR now, and not using them downfield more often was hard to watch. I'd like to see a more limited role for KMM, more snaps for 22, 18.

They were looking deep, but either Jake could not see the receivers open or they were not open..and Jake dumped it off.

This is what frustrated me so much...I hoped that Iowa's receivers would be a bit better at getting open this season.

I think they were open plenty, and sometimes you have to trust your receiver to make a play. I don't think a guy has to be wide open to throw it his way.

Watching these other games, teams aren't afraid to go deep. We have playmakers outside. Why not use them when the other team is playing cover 1 or 0 every first down?

because the point of these early games is to get the run game going - to get the OL in sync. this is preparation for games down the road.

We need to throw deep even if overthrowing when needed to get the damn safeties away from the LOS. Need to burn the other team deep and early and often. Five Olinemen and one TE cant block 8 guys consistently which is why we see a 6 yard gain followed by zero yard gains a lot.

If Hamilton makes that catch at the 5 and walks in, the game is pretty much over and the game plan for UNI would have been a success without showing much in the vertical passing game. We really didn't run many crossing routes or double moves. A whole lot of conservative/low risk passing plays called today.

I think next week and for sure vs ISU, Iowa will take more shots of the 10+ & 25+ yard routes.

because the point of these early games is to get the run game going - to get the OL in sync. this is preparation for games down the road.

even when you are in danger of losing? You really think they "hold back" w/ a lead of less than a touchdown in the 4th qtr? "Oh yeah, we have a lot more explosive weapons, we could go vertical and score, but you know, we'd rather get the running game going, get the OL in sync than win comfortably." I don't believe that can possibly be true.

Yeah that was the most frustrating thing for me today. Every time JR threw a pass more than 15 yds past the LOS we had a good result, I think. But I bet that was attempted no more than 5-6 times. JR too gun shy, Greg Davis wedded to his horizontal scheme.

It is clear to anyone watching that Iowa has some real weapons at WR now, and not using them downfield more often was hard to watch. I'd like to see a more limited role for KMM, more snaps for 22, 18.

All KMM does is get open.

even when you are in danger of losing? You really think they "hold back" w/ a lead of less than a touchdown in the 4th qtr? "Oh yeah, we have a lot more explosive weapons, we could go vertical and score, but you know, we'd rather get the running game going, get the OL in sync than win comfortably." I don't believe that can possibly be true.
\

i didn't say iowa 'held back'. you learn crawl, walk and then run, in that order. these opening games are developmental in nature, as is the iowa program. if you don't learn to crawl first, how are you supposed to walk, or even attempt to run?

watch this video - start at 6:30 and watch at least one minute beyond this. this guy has a lot of credibility around here - unfortunately the current guy seemingly does not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCtexgT2PuQ

Your QB returns w/ at least 5 WRs, 4 TEs and 2 RBs who can catch it out of the backfield, all who played significant snaps last season in the same offense w/ the same coaches. Do they forget how to play every year? Have you watched any other games today? I see a lot of teams not crawling or walking.

Wisky is up 10 on LSU w/ a QB starting his first game, and he has gone deep more than JR did today. There are other considerations with stretching the field. "hey opposing safeties: come on up toward the LOS to stuff our running lanes. We're just larnin' to crawl today!"

I think they were open plenty, and sometimes you have to trust your receiver to make a play. I don't think a guy has to be wide open to throw it his way.

This. As a quarterback, you can throw your guys open, if you get what I mean by that.

Your QB returns w/ at least 5 WRs, 4 TEs and 2 RBs who can catch it out of the backfield, all who played significant snaps last season in the same offense w/ the same coaches. Do they forget how to play every year? Have you watched any other games today? I see a lot of teams not crawling or walking.

Wisky is up 10 on LSU w/ a QB starting his first game, and he has gone deep more than JR did today. There are other considerations with stretching the field. "hey opposing safeties: come on up toward the LOS to stuff our running lanes. We're just larnin' to crawl today!"

Don't argue with Ankle, he is the lead troll for all Ferentz apologist. Teams like Texas A&M with a new QB on the road against a top 10 team, who put up 600+ yards offense, and absolutely demolish the competition, we can't expect that type of production out of the gate after 3 months of practice with a veteran offense against a FBS school.

Don't argue with Ankle, he is the lead troll for all Ferentz apologist. Teams like Texas A&M with a new QB on the road against a top 10 team, who put up 600+ yards offense, and absolutely demolish the competition, we can't expect that type of production out of the gate after 3 months of practice with a veteran offense against a FBS school.

Thing is, I really don't even blame the staff for this one. I think JR just was gun shy today, wasn't willing to "throw his guys open" like the other poster said. I'm sure there were several plays called downfield, JR is just risk-averse in the passing game. The "crawl/walk/run" explanation in this instance is preposterous.

Thing is, I really don't even blame the staff for this one. I think JR just was gun shy today, wasn't willing to "throw his guys open" like the other poster said. I'm sure there were several plays called downfield, JR is just risk

Listen, if Rudock is risk adverse he will be the QB without question for Kirk. We simply will not utilize this recently acquired WR speed.

I disagree in that KMM is probably our best third down possession receiver as he showed a couple times yesterday. But I agree with your OPost that we have better deep weapons and we need to burn teams over the top.

I will probably hit this point harder by starting my own thread.

[/B]

I disagree in that KMM is probably our best third down possession receiver as he showed a couple times yesterday. But I agree with your OPost that we have better deep weapons and we need to burn teams over the top.

I will probably hit this point harder by starting my own thread.

I agree w/ you. that is exactly the primary role I envision for KMM.

Latest posts