Why can't Iowa recruit athletes?

I'm not trying to pull the race card here... but after watching Auburn in the title game. I think we need another Brad Banks.

I know we got a stable of talented white QBs... but WE WANT BANKS! WE WANT BANKS!

Huh? Banks was slow ... but had great vision. Furthermore, Banks was a very smart player and was a great game-manager. Lastly, when you're surrounded by that OL, those RBs, and those targets at WR/TE ... your O is loaded, regardless of who you are.

I think that is part of the allure of AJ Derby's mobility. Having a guy who can make plays with his feet is a great asset.

Anyhow, I'd just as happily take a Dan Persa than a Cam Newton.

Iowa currently has 31 players in the NFL, compared to Texas who has 43.

Iowa's problem is lack of depth of athletes per year, not a lack of athletes in starting roles.

Iowa does need more NFL caliber WRs, RBs and QBs. Seems like we are getting there though.

+1

I've rambled enough.

You should have just left it at this. :rolleyes:

I just don't understand why Iowa targets 2, 3, and some 4 star guys when it is obvious that if they had just talked to you they would sign only 5 star guys every year.

Wegher in a 40 yd dash would beat Shonn Greene (I will agree to that anyone will).

I'm not in agreement. Shonn Greene is fast. He's very fast. I've yet to see him get caught from behind in the NFL. He pulled away from San Diego CB and Safety last year I think.

Green is faster than Wegher in the 40. I'd put money on it. It was said that Green was the fastest player on Iowa's team.... Wegher on the other isn't even a D1 scholarship athlete right now.

Huh? Banks was slow ... but had great vision. Furthermore, Banks was a very smart player and was a great game-manager. Lastly, when you're surrounded by that OL, those RBs, and those targets at WR/TE ... your O is loaded, regardless of who you are.

I think that is part of the allure of AJ Derby's mobility. Having a guy who can make plays with his feet is a great asset.

Anyhow, I'd just as happily take a Dan Persa than a Cam Newton.

Totally agree.

I'm not in agreement. Shonn Greene is fast. He's very fast. I've yet to see him get caught from behind in the NFL. He pulled away from San Diego CB and Safety last year I think.

Green is faster than Wegher in the 40. I'd put money on it. It was said that Green was the fastest player on Iowa's team.... Wegher on the other isn't even a D1 scholarship athlete right now.

I agree that Greene was/is faster. Though in that playoff run that you recall, he only pulled away from the safety. The corner would have caught him if given a little more yardage (though the corner was Cromartie, one of the fastest players in the league).

I agree that Greene was/is faster. Though in that playoff run that you recall, he only pulled away from the safety. The corner would have caught him if he hadn't cowered at the line of scrimmage (though the corner was Cromartie, one of the fastest players in the league).

fixed it for you. ;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edUCQAQ_mB0]YouTube - Jets RB Shonn Greene Mocks LT[/ame]

Shonn Greene ran a 4.6 in the 40 yard dash. I had heard his best time was a 4.56. I would say Wegher would run a better 40. BUT I would also say in pads on a football field that Greene wouldn't lose to Wegher because Wegher has sprint speed (like a race) and Greene has football speed. I believe Shonn Greene to be the best running back I have ever seen at Iowa. Wegher is a poor man's Reggie Bush. There was a reason Bush didn't get the ball on 4th & 1 in the NC game and there is a reason why ARob was #1 and Wegher was his back-up. True RBs are what Iowa needs and ATHLETES is a very fluid term. The one thing I have missed is lately the screen pass in the Iowa offense and Wegher would have run that better than anyone on the team right now. Hopefully we can bring it back.

Shonn Greene ran a 4.6 in the 40 yard dash. I had heard his best time was a 4.56. I would say Wegher would run a better 40. BUT I would also say in pads on a football field that Greene wouldn't lose to Wegher because Wegher has sprint speed (like a race) and Greene has football speed. I believe Shonn Greene to be the best running back I have ever seen at Iowa. Wegher is a poor man's Reggie Bush. There was a reason Bush didn't get the ball on 4th & 1 in the NC game and there is a reason why ARob was #1 and Wegher was his back-up. True RBs are what Iowa needs and ATHLETES is a very fluid term. The one thing I have missed is lately the screen pass in the Iowa offense and Wegher would have run that better than anyone on the team right now. Hopefully we can bring it back.

Wegher would be a VERY poor man's Reggie Bush. He didn't have the same lateral quickness that Bush had. Bush's speed was excellent, but what really made him lethal was his lateral quickness/acceleration. Wegher would never have been able to make a run like Bush's Heisman-clinching run against Fresno St.

Wegher actually reminds me of a slower version of Brandon Saine. Saine is pretty much a straight-line runner, good receiver.

Latest posts