Why can't Iowa recruit athletes?

Originally, I piggybacked this post on another thread.

Some Iowa fans are already rationalizing this, are denying this.

You've got to give KOK some credit. At least, he's calling more long pass plays.

http://www.hawkeyenation.com/forum/football/23752-wegher-going-ok-play-stoops.html#post342305
Have you been living under a rock? Athletes like who? The starting running back for the Jets, the starting OT with Packers, the starting DB with Detroit, the starting DB with the Panthers, the two all-bowl team players this year, the starting TE with the Chiefs and I can go on. What kind of troll threat is this?

I honestly have absolutely no idea what your post means, and what Wegher has to do with anything.

Starting DT for the Seahawks, and Falcons, Kampman was an all pro until his knee issues, several starting safties in the last decade...

The only two positions in which Hawkeyes are not well represented is WR and QB and I expect both of those to change over the next year or two.

I get what he's saying. I had this same discussion with some peeps when I heard about Wegher. It pisses me off because I think he could offer some things that no other guy on the team offers. He probably wouldn't have been our starting RB (although he may have been with all the injuries) and he wouldn't have been a starting WR, but he could have been a Percy Harvin-type player.

I was excited for Wegher this year not for those positions, but more for the ability to use him returning punts and kicks, and for a better option on end-arounds and screen passes. I don't think we have another guy on the team who has his skill set.

He's trying to say that we can't keep the "athletes" that we recruit because they all leave, and he was using Wegher as an example.

Makes no sense whatsoever when you look at our history of putting players in the NFL. Players that I would consider much more of an "athlete" than Wegher.

The players that leave Iowa have mostly left because they weren't going to play.

I tend to agree with the original poster on this.

Maybe I am crazy but I have high standards for this program. I want this team to win bowl games against Top 15 opponents.

I want athletic running backs that have 200 yard games.

I want defensive backs that when they intercept the ball can actually use speed and some moves to score touchdowns.

I want wide receivers that can break school records.

I want defensive ends that can block punts and return said punts for touchdowns.

I want tight ends that when they get to the pros they have the athletic ability to be impact players for their teams even as rookies.

I want a wide receiver that can make amazing one handed catches and if they are a converted QB that is ok with me.

In a bowl game against a Top 15 opponent I want cornerbacks that make plays on the ball so that even if that corner doesn't intercept the ball, say his free safety will.

I want athletes that are good enough to leave early for the NFL.

Damnit, when is Iowa going to have these type of players????

iahawk72 well said. Iowa has always had solid players. just look at the amount of players that are on current NFL rosters. I think the number is in the 30's this year. people need to check their facts before they throw up on here.

Right... because when players leave for lack of playing time they often go do D2 schools, or downtrodden D1 programs like Oklahoma :rolleyes:.

Actually - yes, most players who have left for lack of playing time have gone to schools considered less than Iowa. They head to the MAC or they pull a Jake Christensen and make the trek to D2. Thanks for such an accurate statement Duffman.

And most of the players who have left Iowa and transferred did so because they weren't going to play or they weren't willing to wait to play.

I've yet to see a player transfer from Iowa because of lack of playing time and end up doing anything special at another BCS conference team. I suspect that trend will continue.

Give the guy a break, I think he's on to something. Really. When will Iowa get the elite level guys that can make the next level. It's getting old playing with second rate recruits.

Signed-

Charles Godfrey
Amari Spievey
Ladell Betts
Bradley Fletcher
Bob Sanders
Pat Angerer
Dallas Clark
Colin Cole
Chad Greenway
Shonn Greene
Tyler Sash
Brandon Myers
Marshall Yanda
Tony Moeaki
Matt Roth
Robert Gallery
Jason Baker
Sean Considine
Jonathan Babineaux
Aaron Kampman
Bryan Bulaga
Casey Wiegmann
Eric Steinbach

and radman, you forgot a starting linebacker for the colts and the vikings
And a starting tackle with the Raiders, the best TE in football with Clark, and I could go on and on. Didn't forget, just felt this was a stupid thread. thanks for noticing though. Go Hawks!!

I tend to agree with the original poster on this.

Maybe I am crazy but I have high standards for this program. I want this team to win bowl games against Top 15 opponents.

I want athletic running backs that have 200 yard games.

I want defensive backs that when they intercept the ball can actually use speed and some moves to score touchdowns.

I want wide receivers that can break school records.

I want defensive ends that can block punts and return said punts for touchdowns.

I want tight ends that when they get to the pros they have the athletic ability to be impact players for their teams even as rookies.

I want a wide receiver that can make amazing one handed catches and if they are a converted QB that is ok with me.

In a bowl game against a Top 15 opponent I want cornerbacks that make plays on the ball so that even if that corner doesn't intercept the ball, say his free safety will.

I want athletes that are good enough to leave early for the NFL.

Damnit, when is Iowa going to have these type of players????

fry-see-what-you-did-there.jpg

Most successful college teams have a mentality that plays athletes. All pro teams have a mentality that plays athletes. Heck, the Steelers have this new WR that can stretch the field - Pittsburgh has other WRs who can make plays. Chicago has an all pro speedster with skills who can stretch the field or defend the field.

Don't you think Iowa would've had a better record this year if they had some athletes at, for example, WR who could stretch the field (get open) and make plays on the ball in the 2 minute drill?

How about a defensive back who could lock down a receiver? Aren't you tired of losing to NW? Aren't you tired of the anxiety attacks that come from Iowa's "defense of hopes" against a successful passing team?
If no, I guess this thread won't make any difference to you - am I debating the "Iowa fan mentality"?
If yes, you might be outraged, as I am, that Iowa was lucky enough to recruit an athlete like Wegher then couldn't find any place for him in the lineup.

Most successful college teams have a mentality that plays athletes. All pro teams have a mentality that plays athletes. Heck, the Steelers have this new WR that can stretch the field - Pittsburgh has other WRs who can make plays. Chicago has an all pro speedster with skills who can stretch the field or defend the field.

Don't you think Iowa would've had a better record this year if they had some athletes at, for example, WR who could stretch the field (get open) and make plays on the ball in the 2 minute drill?

How about a defensive back who could lock down a receiver? Aren't you tired of losing to NW? Aren't you tired of the anxiety attacks that come from Iowa's "defense of hopes" against a successful passing team?
If no, I guess this thread won't make any difference to you - am I debating the "Iowa fan mentality"?
If yes, you might be outraged, as I am, that Iowa was lucky enough to recruit an athlete like Wegher then couldn't find any place for him in the lineup.

We had two of the best WR's in the B10 this year, and probably the best verticle passing game in the league. DKJ and McNutt were among the league leaders with 16.2 YPC. One of our receivers led the B10 in KO returns.

We had a DB that returned a pick for a TD to seal a bowl win, and it was his defesnive TD of the year. We had 3 of the top 4 B10 interception leaders in our defensive backfield, and the one guy who wasn't among the leaders was Tyler Mother ******* Sash.

Regarding Wegher it's laughable that "we couldn't find a place for him in the lineup". He left the team for personal reasons despite being a co-starter as a true freshman.

Lastly if you are having anxiety attacks about our defense not being able to stop people I suggest you stop watching football and find a nice relaxing hobby like bird watching.

Last edited:

Latest posts