Why aren't we hearing more about Paul Lusk?

AZmess

Ex-Hawk. Lead assistant at Purdue. Proven recruiter. Ready to take over a program. If Forbes is qualified, so is he.

He's a solid candidate for some head coaching job--maybe even ours. I don't think anyone knows much of anything about what's going on, Az. I take some solace in knowing that what I read from posters (other than the mods) on message boards has nothing to do with whatever Barta may be up to. :)

My guess is that everyone is focusing on a current head coach. Forbes might be getting a little attention from the assistant coach perspective because he's supposedly lobbying for the job. If the head coach pool falls through, I'll bet we'll start hearing a lot more about guys like Lusk and Forbes.

Did Lusk not leave Iowa. If that is the case and I am not sure that it was then I don't want him. We weren't good enough for him before then we don't need him now.

Don't take this as a slam or me trying to be a jerk, but you saying that tells me you don't really know much about Paul.

Hey don't worry, I was being a smart a$$. I don't know much about Paul other than he played hard for the Hawks. He just doesn't excite me much.

But then if your name isn't Pearl, Dixon or Drew, I'm not getting excited.

Did Lusk not leave Iowa. If that is the case and I am not sure that it was then I don't want him. We weren't good enough for him before then we don't need him now.

He broke his leg and was never the same player after that. He transferred to Southern Illinois because he wanted to play. He harbors no hard feelings towards Iowa and doesn't feel like Iowa wasn't "good enough".

I have a friend who played at Iowa with Lusk. He thinks he is a great guy and a very talented recruiter AND X & O coach. Iowa could do a lot worse than to hire Lusk.

He broke his leg and was never the same player after that. He transferred to Southern Illinois because he wanted to play. He harbors no hard feelings towards Iowa and doesn't feel like Iowa wasn't "good enough".

So he wasn't willing to work hard to see the floor at Iowa and he transfers to S. Illinois so he will automatically play... Sorry... what it comes down to is that he didn't want to be a hawkeye. If he did, he would have stuck it out and did whatever it takes to get back on the floor. That is the only reason I do not want him... I forgot he transferred until my dad mentioned it to me last week.

I was at SIU when Lusk transferred down there and we became friends. He didn't leave Iowa on hard terms.

I was at SIU when Lusk transferred down there and we became friends. He didn't leave Iowa on hard terms.

I have an issue with a guy coming here as a head coach who transferred out... but one question I have for you and I have contemplated this for a while now. I believe Lusk was Street's roommate, did Street's tragic death have anything to do with his need to get out of Iowa City?

So he wasn't willing to work hard to see the floor at Iowa and he transfers to S. Illinois so he will automatically play... Sorry... what it comes down to is that he didn't want to be a hawkeye. If he did, he would have stuck it out and did whatever it takes to get back on the floor. That is the only reason I do not want him... I forgot he transferred until my dad mentioned it to me last week.

I think thats unbelievably harsh and incredibly short sighted.

We could do a lot worse than Lusk.

I have an issue with a guy coming here as a head coach who transferred out... but one question I have for you and I have contemplated this for a while now. I believe Lusk was Street's roommate, did Street's tragic death have anything to do with his need to get out of Iowa City?

No he was gone by then.

I think you are putting too much stock in the fact that he played here and transferred. For me, he's a coach. I put little stock into what he did as a player. To me, they're separate entities. If they weren't, wouldn't all our candidates be ex-Hawkeyes then?

Is this serious? If so, wow just wow. I figure Lusk will take over for Lowery at SIU when he either moves on or receives his walking papers. That whole Purdue/Weber coaching tree is pretty darn impressive.

Az, since you've now posted this on at least three boards today, I think we ARE hearing quite a bit about Lusk. Do you have a piece of the action? ;)

Az, since you've now posted this on at least three boards today, I think we ARE hearing quite a bit about Lusk. Do you have a piece of the action? ;)

LOL. I just was thinking about it this morning and wanted as many people's opinion on it.

No agenda other than I'd be fully on board. I have a friend that I completely trust that knows Paul. He thinks Paul would be great but isnt sure he's going to get a look from Barta.

Who knows. Its gonna end up being someone no one has talked about anyway, isnt it?

AZ.. you are right.. my comments were pretty harsh. And it is nothing against Paul Lusk as a coach. Maybe I am being short sighted, but my biggest thing is that I want a coach to be hired that WANTS to be a hawkeye. With him transferring that tells me that he didn't want to be a hawkeye (granted it was almost twenty years ago). I wish him the best, I just think he has to be pretty low on the totem pole of coaches.

No he was gone by then.

I think you are putting too much stock in the fact that he played here and transferred. For me, he's a coach. I put little stock into what he did as a player. To me, they're separate entities. If they weren't, wouldn't all our candidates be ex-Hawkeyes then?

No. And he didn't want to be a Hawkeye before, thats enough for me to tell me he's not the answer. he can be a good coach for someone else and if he has success and goes to the final four I still won't want him.

Latest posts