Why are we throwing the ball sideways?

I think we need to take shots downfield. Maybe the coaches were waiting for a home game to take shots? I think anytime davis, or shumpert were one on one, give em a go route! Doubt it would be picked off, worst thing that could happen is pass interference and we get 15 yards.

Iowa fans would love it if the Hawkeye offense was as prolific as Oregon's, right? Well guess who throws it horizontal a ton? As do many other successful spread offenses.

I would agree that Iowa needed many many more intermediate and long throws to mix in with the short passing game, but philosophically I think spreading the field is a good strategy that will work well with Iowa's running game. Part of the thing about a short passing game, though, is you've got to make completions and take shots downfield when they are available for it to work, and Iowa looked pretty ugly in both those areas Saturday.

I can remember playing Texas when he was their OC.

It was nauseating how they would throw that bubble screen over and over and over. Mostly because it was really effective. They put you to sleep doing that and then hit their big play superstar WR deep.

I dont know enough about Iowa's roster to know if it is stocked with shifty, scat back types who excel in catching these passes.

I actually recorded the and watched the ISU game Saturday, and they also throw to the WR right on the line of scrimmage A LOT. So it's funny that it is nauseating to you. With that said, Tulsa could not seem to stop it. As a matter of fact, the Clones only needed two plays, run up the middle, toss it out to the WR and let him run. Our secondary better be ready to tackle on Saturday.

Watching the ISU game on Saturday, they threw a lot of East West passes in the first half and then started going North and South very effectively in the 2nd half. I would expect to see them start that way again Saturday. We just need to contain things when they do get everything spread out.

Nice chart. At least two of the potential receivers are supposed to read the defense, and adjust routes. I saw two downfield throws missed Saturday as the receivers misread the defense.

JVB might not have played very well, but he had no confidence that the receivers were going to the right spots. It's like golf, stress and lack of confidence tends to make one revert to old behaviors.

The sky is not falling yet. They'll get to see it on film all week long.

If you could find a way to work "It's like golf" into each and every one of your posts, I believe your popularity on this site would soar.

In my mind that game felt like a LOSS.

Not a shot at you by any means, but definitely the thought process of many on here. I will never be able to understand this mentality. Not saying your not entitled to your opinion, but just an opinion I don't understand. I'm happy with any "W" on the road, regardless of what the margin of victory is.

Show me a team where this works consistently. Especially with the type of players Iowa typically gets under Ferentz.

Good luck with that.

Don't give up after one game. I'd like to believe that some of these "horizontal" plays CAN set up big plays downfield later (assuming the line and VDB can execute.

I hope we can blame them for WINS all year long.

Win. Yes.

Personally, I thought that the NIU game was a tossup going in. I was thrilled with the victory.

Did everyone think that this team was going to execute flawlessly in its first game (away from Kinnick, with frosh playing for the first time in a college game, with new formations and coaches)?

My hope is that the team improves significantly each week, but crap, guys, let's be positive about the victory.

I'd take narrowly beating NIU to getting drilled by ASU, or getting beat by Arizona (at a time when we had a stacked team).

LG and I think you should cheer up :)

In my mind that game felt like a LOSS.
Not a shot at you by any means, but definitely the thought process of many on here. I will never be able to understand this mentality. Not saying your not entitled to your opinion, but just an opinion I don't understand. I'm happy with any "W" on the road, regardless of what the margin of victory is.
I understand what u are saying. Im just concerned about beating a Mac team by 1 point on a nuetral field that was mostly attended by hawkeye fans.
Especially since this Mac team had an entirely new offensive line that pushed our D1 defense around. I will try to keep positive but i have to mentally prepare for a potentially long season!

Ken Keefe. Not O'Keefe because he took the O out of offense.......

the new coordinators will be pure comedy on the hok boards. looks like it only took one game for hok fans to find their new whipping boy....

No kidding. The line, VDB, and the receivers were not in sync. That can change in the next few weeks, I think (or at least I hope).

I love how the nervous, negative nancys on this board are depressed after one game with a new OC. LOL.

I understand what u are saying. Im just concerned about beating a Mac team by 1 point on a nuetral field that was mostly attended by hawkeye fans.
Especially since this Mac team had an entirely new offensive line that pushed our D1 defense around. I will try to keep positive but i have to mentally prepare for a potentially long season!

Huh? They had a little over 200 TOTAL yards, with 75 of it coming in one play. ????:confused:

The defense is certainly a worry, but again, the offense let us down. Hopefully that will change.

Latest posts