Why are we still barking up the Texas tree?

EastLosRandy

Wow, apparently all we need is for Steve Deace to spread a rumor that the Big Ten will add Missouri and another Big 12 school that "may not be who you think" and people start drooling all over themselves like Pavlov's dog, because OMG TEXAS IS (maybe) JOINING THE BIG TEN!!!!!!

1. The Texas state legislature still absolutely has the authority to tell UT that if they're going anywhere they have to take Cousin Billy (aTm) with them. They did it in the 90s (the last time UT was courting the Big Ten), and it is in their interests to do it again now -- if they even have to, as far as I know that law is still on the books. UT joining the Big Ten means a whole lot of Texans' $$$ spent in the midwest and on travel to the midwest instead of "where it belongs" in Texas. The Cousin Billy clause all but prevents UT from jumping ship and forces a situation far preferable to Lone Star politicians: UT stuck in a conference with a lot of other Texas teams, keeping the cash cow at home.

2. I'm amazed by how easily people dismiss the geography question. Just because we have airplanes now doesn't mean that the time and expense of shipping ALL of UT's sports teams to the midwest for half of their conference games (and vice versa) is no longer a big deal. The UT men's and women's hoops teams, for example, would need nine round-trip flights for all players and coaches for conference games alone PLUS all the ground transportation necessary to get from any major airport to places like Iowa City, Champaign, West Lafayette, Bloomington, East Lansing, and State College. Compared to Lubbock, Waco, College Station, Norman, Stillwater, and even Lawrence and Manhattan, that's a very large increase in money and time spent on travel. Every sport except football routinely has games on weeknights. Let's not forget that these kids still have CLASSES they're supposed to be attending! Combine that with the NEAR CERTAINTY that we'd have to take Cousin Billy, too, and you have all those problems times two.

3. Big Ten traditions are at stake here, and while tradition can't be the only factor in decisions like these, nor can it be completely ignored. Fellow Hawkeye fans: do you look forward to our annual rivalries against Minny and Wisky? Too bad, because your new "pod" will be Iowa/Mizzou/UT/aTm. Am I the only one here who has ZERO interest in an annual "rivalry" against aTm? Floyd who???

4. Then there's Texas recruiting: the stuff that dreams are made of. Sure, we'd be able to tell Texas recruits they can play one game a year in Texas. Whoopee! UT, aTm, UTEP, TTU, TCU, SMU, Bay, Hous, Rice, and UNT will still have us beat on that score. What's the point? Are St. Louis natives Adrian Clayborn and Marvin McNutt not talented enough for us? Are you disappointed with Ohioans Ricky Stanzi and Derrell Johnson-Koulianos? Do Ferentz and company seem to be having trouble recruiting guys they can turn into winners?

5. Finally, you do have to look at UT's track record. They made the SWC radioactive, and now they're doing the same thing to the Big 12. Is that the sort of reckless company that the Big Ten's button-down leaders want to keep? I mean, heck, they even let cattle roam the field down there!

Okay, that last sentence was a joke, but I mean the rest. Sorry to go off on a rant like that, but when it comes to Texa$$ joining the Big Ten I say fuhgeddaboutit!

Last edited: