Why all the panic?

CaarHawk, how many coaches that aren't paying players or running halfway houses like ISU can rebuild a program in one year after taking over for one of the worst staffs in big ten history? McCaffrey brought our two best players with him, does that not register with you? Had Lickliter left anything in the cupboard, this might be a different conversation, but he didn't. Think about it, Brommer and Archie are the only two Lickliter recruits left after 3 years.....pretty telling IMO.

What exactly does "let it play out" mean?

Can we do anything else, but let it play out? I mean whether you have faith or not, it doesn't really matter. At this point in Lick's tenure, you had more staunch supporters than detractors. Some people where not happy with the playing style, but everyone else was all supportive.

Both groups let it play out, because they didn't have the power to do anything else.

What exactly does "let it play out" mean?

Can we do anything else, but let it play out? I mean whether you have faith or not, it doesn't really matter. At this point in Lick's tenure, you had more staunch supporters than detractors. Some people where not happy with the playing style, but everyone else was all supportive.

Both groups let it play out, because they didn't have the power to do anything else.

No, you can't do anything else. That is what let it play out means. You let him be a coach and see what happens. It is what it is.

Absolutely. I think the issue for me is that I find this whole process really interesting and just want to talk about it. I want Iowa to do well, but I am just as curious regarding things that don't work as I am those that do work. College basketball is just such a strange beast. The formula seems really illusive.

Absolutely. I think the issue for me is that I find this whole process really interesting and just want to talk about it. I want Iowa to do well, but I am just as curious regarding things that don't work as I am those that do work. College basketball is just such a strange beast. The formula seems really illusive.

I know, we all do. Just relax. Fran wants to win more than anyone on this board.

remaincalm-01.jpg

CaarHawk, how many coaches that aren't paying players or running halfway houses like ISU can rebuild a program in one year after taking over for one of the worst staffs in big ten history? McCaffrey brought our two best players with him, does that not register with you? Had Lickliter left anything in the cupboard, this might be a different conversation, but he didn't. Think about it, Brommer and Archie are the only two Lickliter recruits left after 3 years.....pretty telling IMO.

By this point in his tenure at Iowa, Lick had commitments from 7 3 star players as per Rivals. This is not counting Cole and Kelly, who he had to convince not to bolt. Fran has commitments from 4. So, on paper, Lick's recruiting was more than comparable to Fran's.

The biggest issue with Lick is he couldn't keep his team together. However, his forward recruiting was also a problem. The forwards he brought in were Brommer, Archie, Cougs, and Fuller. Three of those guys are not BIG talent. But 1 was. As of right now, Fran has Mel, who is BIG talent and White, who looks the part. That won't be enough, just like it wasn't for Lick to have Fuller and Cole. Meyer will be a nice addition, but the other forward recruits have to be BIG quality as well.

Can't make Lick's mistake of dropping down a level to the Brommer's and Archie's of the world.

No you don't "just want to talk about it." You want to complain about it.

Guerrero had 4 scholarship offers, so naturally 3 schools were not going to get his services.

Pierre Jackson verballed to Baylor and some see this as Iowa losing out on him. I don't see that Iowa even offered, so how is that a loss?

Hubbard has 5 offers.

You can do the math.

There are currently (according to Rivals) about 300 point guards who have not committed. I'm thinking Iowa gets one of them, and I would not be surprised if it's someone nobody's been discussing.

No you don't "just want to talk about it." You want to complain about it.

Guerrero had 4 scholarship offers, so naturally 3 schools were not going to get his services.

Pierre Jackson verballed to Baylor and some see this as Iowa losing out on him. I don't see that Iowa even offered, so how is that a loss?

Hubbard has 5 offers.

You can do the math.

There are currently (according to Rivals) about 300 point guards who have not committed. I'm thinking Iowa gets one of them, and I would not be surprised if it's someone nobody's been discussing.

With the exception of my misguided bias against Dillard, tell me one instance where I have been complaining. People here seem to mistake any discussion of a possible negative consequence or an actual negative consequence as complaining.

This is the "see no evil, speak no evil crowd." I discuss all of the factors that involve Iowa basketball. The good and the bad. The only thing is that there have been far more disappointments than successes lately. When Fran starts pulling in recruits we will have more positive things to talk about. Most likely this will happen by the end of the week.

Some of you see a negative consequence and feel you have to argue it away, or look on the bright side. I would rather just talk about the negative consequence on its own merit. Same with the positive issues. I don't think either need to be spun ala MSNBC or FOX NEWS.

With the exception of my misguided bias against Dillard, tell me one instance where I have been complaining. People here seem to mistake any discussion of a possible negative consequence or an actual negative consequence as complaining.

This is the "see no evil, speak no evil crowd." I discuss all of the factors that involve Iowa basketball. The good and the bad. The only thing is that there have been far more disappointments than successes lately. When Fran starts pulling in recruits we will have more positive things to talk about. Most likely this will happen by the end of the week.

Some of you see a negative consequence and feel you have to argue it away, or look on the bright side. I would rather just talk about the negative consequence on its own merit. Same with the positive issues. I don't think either need to be spun ala MSNBC or FOX NEWS.

This is perfectly fine. CAAR might seem really negative, but he IS discussing the issue rationally, and makes a lot of solid points as he goes. The guys like Ryno, well, get p*ssed at them all you want. He's always one step from falling off the cliff.

As long as CAAR is actually discussing the issue, I'm glad to have his input around here (and I was definitely NOT a fan of his last spring, as he can attest to).

This is perfectly fine. CAAR might seem really negative, but he IS discussing the issue rationally, and makes a lot of solid points as he goes. The guys like Ryno, well, get p*ssed at them all you want. He's always one step from falling off the cliff.

As long as CAAR is actually discussing the issue, I'm glad to have his input around here (and I was definitely NOT a fan of his last spring, as he can attest to).

Weren't you the dude last spring that I was arguing with who was the most indispensable player Stanzi or Clayborn?

Latest posts