Why all the panic?

hawkeye12345

I'd like to land some 4 and 5 star kids just like the rest of you but recruiting is a game of low percentage, high risk unless you are the Dukes of the world - which we are not.

Look at our roster for next year as it stands right now:

PG - Honorable Mention All Big 10 in his first year at Iowa. He will be a SR with a bunch of PT under his belt. We are lacking depth but how is that any different than last year? He seemed to do just fine.

SG - Gatens. Like it or not, the kid will be a SR and next season truly can't get much worse than this year. Messed up hand delayed his season. In prior yrs he was on the All Freshman Team and 2nd or 3rd team all conference. One bad year adjusting to yet another coach won't define this kids career at Iowa. He will get it together and have a great Sr year.

PF - Mel Basabe. What?!!??! Dude was on the All Freshman team and probably could have been the Freshman of the Year had it not been for Sullivan.

SF - This kid named Aaron White is good people. Don't be surprised to see him in the starting lineup before the start of conference play.

C - Brommer and Archie can both play. They aren't going to be our strength but with another year under their belt they will continue to improve. They showed huge improvement over last year so why wouldn't another year be even better?

If we get Olaseni then our front line will look pretty damn solid - throw in Katenda for good measure and we may have a winner here. He would give us legit 6 players for 2 positions and allow maybe Basabe (probably White) to move to a wing.

If, and I'm talking IF we could land Hubbard, Olaseni and a backup PG then this team is a legit NCAA tourny contender. Not going to be deep but how many teams really go further than 8 men deep?

Cartwright
Gatens
White
Basabe
Brommer / Archie - depending on how they practice during the week.

That is how I would do it now.

If we add Hubbard then I throw Hubbard in for White for experience and more athletic play.

Just relax. We are still in play for a bunch of kids who can fill a need short term.

Last edited:
You may be the only person ever to consider Brommer or Archie "legit".

LOL, I couldn't agree more. I am not in panic mode, but if you think we just show up next season and automatically improve because we bring back everybody, I think you need to stop buying mushrooms at the co-op. I would wager Archie and Brommer both had more fouls than points last season, so not sure "legit" is a word I would use to describe them.

LOL, I couldn't agree more. I am not in panic mode, but if you think we just show up next season and automatically improve because we bring back everybody, I think you need to stop buying mushrooms at the co-op. I would wager Archie and Brommer both had more fouls than points last season, so not sure "legit" is a word I would use to describe them.
You're not that far off.

Archie had 15 fouls and 38 points.

Brommer had 66 and 96 points.

For the record I never said legit.

Anyone think Stokes stands a chance at playing? Maybe he has beefed up over the season and continue through the summer.

You're not that far off.

Archie had 15 fouls and 38 points.

Brommer had 66 and 96 points.

For the record I never said legit.

"If we get Olaseni then our front line will look pretty damn solid - throw in Katenda for good measure and we may have a winner here. He would give us legit 6 players for 2 positions and allow maybe Basabe (probably White) to move to a wing."

I beg to differ.

"If we get Olaseni then our front line will look pretty damn solid - throw in Katenda for good measure and we may have a winner here. He would give us legit 6 players for 2 positions and allow maybe Basabe (probably White) to move to a wing."

I beg to differ.
BUSTED!

I'd like to land some 4 and 5 star kids just like the rest of you but recruiting is a game of low percentage, high risk unless you are the Dukes of the world - which we are not.

Look at our roster for next year as it stands right now:

PG - Honorable Mention All Big 10 in his first year at Iowa. He will be a SR with a bunch of PT under his belt. We are lacking depth but how is that any different than last year? He seemed to do just fine.

SG - Gatens. Like it or not, the kid will be a SR and next season truly can't get much worse than this year. Messed up hand delayed his season. In prior yrs he was on the All Freshman Team and 2nd or 3rd team all conference. One bad year adjusting to yet another coach won't define this kids career at Iowa. He will get it together and have a great Sr year.

PF - Mel Basabe. What?!!??! Dude was on the All Freshman team and probably could have been the Freshman of the Year had it not been for Sullivan.

SF - This kid named Aaron White is good people. Don't be surprised to see him in the starting lineup before the start of conference play.

C - Brommer and Archie can both play. They aren't going to be our strength but with another year under their belt they will continue to improve. They showed huge improvement over last year so why wouldn't another year be even better?

If we get Olaseni then our front line will look pretty damn solid - throw in Katenda for good measure and we may have a winner here. He would give us legit 6 players for 2 positions and allow maybe Basabe (probably White) to move to a wing.

If, and I'm talking IF we could land Hubbard, Olaseni and a backup PG then this team is a legit NCAA tourny contender. Not going to be deep but how many teams really go further than 8 men deep?

Cartwright
Gatens
White
Basabe
Brommer / Archie - depending on how they practice during the week.

That is how I would do it now.

If we add Hubbard then I throw Hubbard in for White for experience and more athletic play.

Just relax. We are still in play for a bunch of kids who can fill a need short term.

Haha, keep up the positive vibes man. I can see why youre not panicking with that insane outlook highlighted by the bolded points.

Archie is a train wreck. I know the kid tries, but he has miles to go. Seems like 1 step forward and 2 steps back with him.
I'm not in panic mode at all. I got your back FM!!

Gatens got to HM at most in his Hawkeye career and that was as a sophomore. As a junior he didn't. So where was he 2nd or 3rd team. Also, May was all-freshman and not even HM his sophomore year. Freeman was HM in Lick's first year.

So Basabe making all frosh and Cartwright making HM really is nothing new. You can jump up and down but Iowa has had similar recognition and sucked for half a decade now.

Iowa adds White, but loses Cole. That will be a negative in the first year. Ogelsby plays a position where the Hawks have their only logjam. So don't expect much from him.

Seriously, if Fran doesn't pull some magic out of his hat over the next few days. It is going to be another hideous year. Good luck recruiting off that. You think it is hard to recruit off five horrible years? Extend that to six and some historic disastrous recruiting going into your third recruiting cycle. That would require an unprecendented turnoround in the last ten years of major conference basketball.

Gatens got to HM at most in his Hawkeye career and that was as a sophomore. As a junior he didn't. So where was he 2nd or 3rd team. Also, May was all-freshman and not even HM his sophomore year. Freeman was HM in Lick's first year.

So Basabe making all frosh and Cartwright making HM really is nothing new. You can jump up and down but Iowa has had similar recognition and sucked for half a decade now.

Iowa adds White, but loses Cole. That will be a negative in the first year. Ogelsby plays a position where the Hawks have their only logjam. So don't expect much from him.

Seriously, if Fran doesn't pull some magic out of his hat over the next few days. It is going to be another hideous year. Good luck recruiting off that. You think it is hard to recruit off five horrible years? Extend that to six and some historic disastrous recruiting going into your third recruiting cycle. That would require an unprecendented turnoround in the last ten years of major conference basketball.

Just let it play out and have a little faith that Fran knows what he is doing.

You're correct. All-Big Ten Freshman 2009 and HM in 2010. No honors in 2011. For some reason I thought he made 2nd or 3rd team in 2010, my bad but the point remains the same.

Why all the negative crap? This team has had NO continuity for almost a decade. We have lost our top scorer in 2005 (PP), 2006 (Brunner), 2007 (Haluska), 2008 (Freeman), 2009 (Kelly) and in 2010 Tucker and Fuller (#2 and #3 respectively) left the team.

That string is finally broken heading into next year. 6 of our top 7 players from last season are coming back.

Just chill out for a bit and let this team take shape. Everybody under the sun knows that we need to improve at nearly every position if we want to contend for titles. We have started over and the foundation is looking pretty damn good from where I'm sitting. Just give it time.

Just let it play out and have a little faith that Fran knows what he is doing.

To be fair, it's not really about Fran knowing what to do. Of course, he knows what to do. Recruit good players, coach them well, win ball games. Most coaches know this. It's about execution. Alford executed on the recruiting front but couldn't coach players or keep them in line. Lickliter didn't seem to do anything particularly well.

So far it seems that Fran definitely knows how to coach. The question is whether he can execute on the recruiting front and get talented players to sign here. I think we have a right to at least be skeptical on this point. Basabe and Cartwright were great late signs and Oglesby and White seem to be good ones as well. However, we have 3 scholarships to feel and lately we seem to be striking out right and left. Not Fran's fault necessarily. It's hard to recruit win you win only 11 games and it's hard to win more than 11 games when the cupboard is left empty.

I don't think anyone is panicking yet but we are worried. We'd feel relieved if we could at least get one player to sign in the next few weeks.

To be fair, it's not really about Fran knowing what to do. Of course, he knows what to do. Recruit good players, coach them well, win ball games. Most coaches know this. It's about execution. Alford executed on the recruiting front but couldn't coach players or keep them in line. Lickliter didn't seem to do anything particularly well.

So far it seems that Fran definitely knows how to coach. The question is whether he can execute on the recruiting front and get talented players to sign here. I think we have a right to at least be skeptical on this point. Basabe and Cartwright were great late signs and Oglesby and White seem to be good ones as well. However, we have 3 scholarships to feel and lately we seem to be striking out right and left. Not Fran's fault necessarily. It's hard to recruit win you win only 11 games and it's hard to win more than 11 games when the cupboard is left empty.

I don't think anyone is panicking yet but we are worried. We'd feel relieved if we could at least get one player to sign in the next few weeks.

I'm not. Maybe I'm being overly simplistic but let it play out with the recruiting and on the floor and we will see what happens. I DO NOT want to turn this into and Iowa/ISU discussion but do you think Fred knows what he is doing? Get good players right? Duh, winning. We'll see. But seriously, I know it is hard to do on a message board but everyone needs to relax and have a little faith these guys will get the job done.

Latest posts