Why All the Complaining

drew003

I guess after watching last night's game I came away satisfied. Yes the outcome wasn't great but this was the best the team has looked in awhile. Last night we were organized, had an offensive plan, attacked in the paint, pushed the ball at times, and limited turnovers. This wasn't MSU, OSU, IL where the opponent looked disinterested and let us hang around as we junked up the game and made some trick 3-balls. We looked like a real basketball team, a team with balance, that had an offensive identify, and that made adjustments.

We are obviously short the horses (top-end talent and depth) and we can beat that death, and hopefully that improves next year and the year after. However, some of the players we do have, have shown noticeable improvement and have the potential to become legit Big 10 players. Fuller is developing into one of the better big men in the league. He has show he can isolate and score, finish effectively with either hand, and crash the boards. Payne showed some explosion (beating his guy off the dribble several times), the ability to get in the paint, and deliver excellent passes on the pick-n-roll. He had trouble finishing, but hopefully that develops with work and experience, because he has shown he can get to the rim. Gatens finally looked comfortable, and seemed to understand his role as a perimeter ball-handler and shooter. May's athleticism can influence games, and his shooting has improved.

There are fundamental things that need to improve. We have to fix our defensive scheme, the switching at the end of the game is not good basketball. We need to do a better job at the free throw line ect...

But all I read today is people complaining about minutia coaching decisions. I feel like people are complaining just to complain. Here are the most stupid complaints.

1.) Lick is an idiot coach for not fouling at the end of the game. This an extremely debated strategy. Many coaches elect to play it straight-up. I think it is fair to say deference should be given to the coach on this, and either strategy can work/not work dependent on execution.

2.) Lick is an idiot for not playing Cougill. I know Cougs is an Iowa boy and stuff...but he is not that good (at least not good enough to be up in arms about). Cougs has some major flaws in his game, and Brommer brings a different skill set. Cougs is a 10 minute role player right now, nobody goes ape sh*t when Winks doesn't play. Simms went 10-24 shooting, Cole and Brommer were reasonably effective on him...I guess we could have taken Fuller out. Maybe Cougs is better than Brommer, maybe last night he wasn't...either way its not that big of deal.

3.) Lick is an idiot for having Gatens drive on the last play. Certainly hindsight is 20-20, and the execution didn't work out but there was nothing inherently wrong with the strategy (going for a quick 2 over a contested 3). Also, UM switched Simms onto Fuller for that last play. Until then one of UM's little white dudes had been guarding Fuller. The play was an clearout pick-n-roll with Gatens and Fuller (our two-best players), since Simms was now guarding Fuller, they switched and he was able to bother Gatens' shot. Might be more a nice defensive adjustment then schematic error.

I'm neither for or against Lick. We need more and better players. But this team did play well last night, and the coaches had those guys ready to play. All the complaining is counter-productive and tired.

I guess after watching last night's game I came away satisfied. Yes the outcome wasn't great but this was the best the team has looked in awhile. Last night we were organized, had an offensive plan, attacked in the paint, pushed the ball at times, and limited turnovers. This wasn't MSU, OSU, IL where the opponent looked disinterested and let us hang around as we junked up the game and made some trick 3-balls. We looked like a real basketball team, a team with balance, that had an offensive identify, and that made adjustments.

We are obviously short the horses (top-end talent and depth) and we can beat that death, and hopefully that improves next year and the year after. However, some of the players we do have, have shown noticeable improvement and have the potential to become legit Big 10 players. Fuller is developing into one of the better big men in the league. He has show he can isolate and score, finish effectively with either hand, and crash the boards. Payne showed some explosion (beating his guy off the dribble several times), the ability to get in the paint, and deliver excellent passes on the pick-n-roll. He had trouble finishing, but hopefully that develops with work and experience, because he has shown he can get to the rim. Gatens finally looked comfortable, and seemed to understand his role as a perimeter ball-handler and shooter. May's athleticism can influence games, and his shooting has improved.

There are fundamental things that need to improve. We have to fix our defensive scheme, the switching at the end of the game is not good basketball. We need to do a better job at the free throw line ect...

But all I read today is people complaining about minutia coaching decisions. I feel like people are complaining just to complain. Here are the most stupid complaints.

1.) Lick is an idiot coach for not fouling at the end of the game. This an extremely debated strategy. Many coaches elect to play it straight-up. I think it is fair to say deference should be given to the coach on this, and either strategy can work/not work dependent on execution.

2.) Lick is an idiot for not playing Cougill. I know Cougs is an Iowa boy and stuff...but he is not that good (at least not good enough to be up in arms about). Cougs has some major flaws in his game, and Brommer brings a different skill set. Cougs is a 10 minute role player right now, nobody goes ape sh*t when Winks doesn't play. Simms went 10-24 shooting, Cole and Brommer were reasonably effective on him...I guess we could have taken Fuller out. Maybe Cougs is better than Brommer, maybe last night he wasn't...either way its not that big of deal.

3.) Lick is an idiot for having Gatens drive on the last play. Certainly hindsight is 20-20, and the execution didn't work out but there was nothing inherently wrong with the strategy (going for a quick 2 over a contested 3). Also, UM switched Simms onto Fuller for that last play. Until then one of UM's little white dudes had been guarding Fuller. The play was an clearout pick-n-roll with Gatens and Fuller (our two-best players), since Simms was now guarding Fuller, they switched and he was able to bother Gatens' shot. Might be more a nice defensive adjustment then schematic error.

I'm neither for or against Lick. We need more and better players. But this team did play well last night, and the coaches had those guys ready to play. All the complaining is counter-productive and tired.
A little good coaching in games like these makes them W's. This is certainly not the first we've had like this.

You said a team with Balance??? Fuller had 30 and Gatens 20 wheres the balance?? If they have to do that for us to just lose in overtime we won't win many games. The last time we won was because we hit 12 threes. Thats not balance either.

We lost to a .500 team at home when we had 3 guys have Season best type performances (Cully, Matt and Fuller). That right there is enough of a reason to be complaining about last night.

Why are you satisfied that we hung in there with a 12-12 team? I sure don't have my sights set that low so that is why I am upset with the lose last night.

We lost to a .500 team at home when we had 3 guys have Season best type performances (Cully, Matt and Fuller). That right there is enough of a reason to be complaining about last night.

Why are you satisfied that we hung in there with a 12-12 team? I sure don't have my sights set that low so that is why I am upset with the lose last night.

This is what troubles me the most about last night's game. We had one guy have a career night (Fuller) and another have an excellent game (Gatens). The team took care of the ball and made it's 3's. Those are the bread and butter of Lickliterball, and it was working well last night. I read that Cully had 7 assists and just 1 turnover. The result? A loss.

Maybe this is all a matter of perspective, but I actually find it discouraging that the team played that well and still lost at home to a 12-12 team.

I'll stick by my word that what I wanted to see the rest of the year was a team improving and being competetive. Ok, we're seeing that, for the most part. But next year, these L's need to turn into W's.

Well you can b*tch and moan that were not any good all you want. Doesn't change the fact we seriously lack horses. Is anyone happy with the state of program, no. But this is the hand we are dealt (and we can debate why this is our situation, but that is of no consequence now). So we can either complain about our crappy cards until we are broke, or we can try to move forward.

Last night we played well. Last night some key players showed quality skills. I think that is a reason to be content. Is more improvement needed, oh certainly. But bemoaning our crappy lot in life is useless. Less whining about the problem, and more support for the solution is needed especially when the team displays positive progress.

It was better because Michigan has been a very troublesome matchup for us recently. Sims just presents a difficult matchup for us defensively, and so does Harris. Michigan is not a good team, but those two are bonafide stars, and we don't have anyone who matches up well with them, and that's why we've gotten handled so easily by them the last couple years. But we hung right with them, and should have won.

This team has lost a lot of close games this year. I know it gets old, but this still is a young team, and one that doesn't know how to win yet. The football team went through a period from 2005-November 7, 2008 when they didn't know how to win either. Then they got that program-changing win, and now that seemingly can't lose. The basketball team has yet to find that program-changing win.

And don't bother saying "they haven't found it because it ain't gonna happen," or anything like that. People didn't see the football team finding that win, either. But they did.

I wouldn't call Lick and idiot... ever, but I do think it's fair to wonder why Cougill didn't see the floor. The only way to see if Brommer is playing better than Cougill is to actually play Cougill too. Then Lickliter would have a better case to defend his decision.

I am not moaning at all, at this point I really could care less if we win or lose.

I was just pointing out the fact I am not happy that we lost or should I be. I agree with one point you stated Drew, a few guys showed some promise and we have them for 2 and 3 more years so that gets me excited for the future.

Hopefully they can learn from this and pull out the win next time.

To add to Tuba's post, the comparison of Bawinkel to Cougill does a great disservice to Brennan. Bawinkel is perhaps the most one-dimensional player I can recall getting major minutes on an Iowa basketball team, and he's been very inconsistent at the one dimension that earns him PT. Cougill can shoot, rebound, pass and screen better than Bawinkel has this season. They obviously play different positions--or they certainly should--but Brennan is and will be a much more well-rounded player than Bawinkel has been.

Which is not to say I don't like Bawinkel. He rarely turns the ball over (mostly because he rarely does anything with it but shoot or pass it on the perimeter) and when he's on, which has not been often this season, he's a joy to watch shooting the ball. I'm glad he became a Hawkeye. But Cougill is a better player.

Give some respect to Michigan. Offensively they played a great game. On the season they shoot 29% from the 3 point line but last night was 14 of 27. Now, early on Iowa's D was shaky and left some of Michigans role players open, which they then knocked down their 3's but late in the game Manny Harris and Deshaun Simms nailed contested shot after contested shot. Michigan has two Juniors, who are bonafide stars, to count on late in the game. Iowa is still young and searching for that.

Willing to wager with you that Lickliter his staff and all the Players didn't wake up this morning thinking they played well last night.

Here is the deal...Carver used to be very tough on opponents. As recently as 05-07 Iowa went 44-5 in CHA....in 49 games they lost 5. This year,we have lost 5 games in Carver the last 6 weeks....3 years ..5 losses....6 weeks...5 losses...big diff.

It's overkill to add to this string but when has that ever stopped me? To respond to the OP's question, two things:

1. Do you think the team is satisfied with the loss?

2. We had a five point lead with 22 seconds to go, and we found a way to lose to a team all of us are sick of losing to. What were you expecting to find here, sweetness and light?

Give some respect to Michigan. Offensively they played a great game. On the season they shoot 29% from the 3 point line but last night was 14 of 27. Now, early on Iowa's D was shaky and left some of Michigans role players open, which they then knocked down their 3's but late in the game Manny Harris and Deshaun Simms nailed contested shot after contested shot. Michigan has two Juniors, who are bonafide stars, to count on late in the game. Iowa is still young and searching for that.

It's about time someone finally stated that Michigan shot out of their mind for most of the game. Now I realize that we didn't play the greatest defense for some of the game, but they still drained shot after shot after shot. I'd be willing to bet that was their best shooting game of the year.

Although I think we probably should've fouled at the end of regulation, I'm not gonna blame Lick. Every coach has their different opinion and perception on what to do so just because it did work last night, we can't blame Lick for that. Especially since Sims would be the one guy we (as Iowa fans) would want to take that shot for them. He was probably their worst 3-point shooter on the floor at that time

One thing is for sure. I'm definitely getting tired of teams making last second shots to either tie or take the lead against us. It's getting old.

Just like iowa shot out of their minds (12-24) from three vs NW...it happens. Iowa has not been any better than michigan from three...and last nite we were nearly as good as them from beyond the arc...neither team is good from 3...and it just so happened that both of them shot better than normal last nite.

How sad we settle for another moral victory... I wonder if Tom Brands settles for moral victiories. Our expectations need to be higher. We have been bad for so long people are willing to settle for nice game.. good effort.. I say garbage.. we need ot not accept avg or pretty good. We don't settle for average in wrestling or football.. Why do we make excuses for hoops.. I did enjoy the game but still came away feeling empty.. I find no solace in losing a close game.

Latest posts