who's your starting 5?

G - Payne
G - Gatens
G - May
F- Basabe
C- Cole

I think these may be our best 5. With Marble, McCabe & Brommer the next 3 in.

I have a hard time judging how well freshmen are going to be able to play. However, looking at the available tape, I just don't think Basabe is ready to be a full-time starter in the Big Ten. I really, really hope that FM is able to find an immediately available transfer, JUCO, or EURO to man the front line.

What would be best would be a strong rebounder and defender who could get a lot of Reggie garbage points and let Cole roam a bit.

This would be my prefered starting five

Payne PG
Gatens SG
May Swing
Cole PF
Big *** Monster Rebounder and Brick wall C

Last edited:
Exactly. In the secondary break, cougs comes in and gets the trailer-three point look that he can knock down.
On defense in a press, he can protect the rim at the back,hopefully. That does not require a super speedy runner,just a guy who can move his feet and block shots at the rim with decent timing.

Would Fran had recruited Cougs if he was here two years ago? Maybe not,but we have him,so he must find a way to use him. As everyone says,big men take more time. Jury is out on cougs. If he wants to play, he needs to do the work,get leaner,and work on moving his feet. Harangody was a different player in year two after dropping 25 lbs.

hope you are right but i think Cougs would be a much better fit at UNI and Jakes half court style.

I dont think Fran brought Basabe from NY to sit.

Eventually Basabe will play the front of the press and either Cole, Archie. or Brommer will play the back. The back of the press has to be athletic and be able to alter or block shots. May will fit into Fran's uptempo style but after that Fran will have to survive the next couple of years.

starters: Cole,May,Basabe,Gatens and Payne

Cougs was grossly misused by Lick, guarding guards on the perimeter on defense and setting picks at the 3 point line on offense. No center would have done well if asked to do those things. He is a natural 5 with a 3 point shot and Fran will have a much better idea how to use him to his strengths.

I'd like to see:

Payne, May, Gatens, Basabe and Cougill, with Marble the first man off the bench.

Cougs was grossly misused by Lick, guarding guards on the perimeter on defense and setting picks at the 3 point line on offense. No center would have done well if asked to do those things. He is a natural 5 with a 3 point shot and Fran will have a much better idea how to use him to his strengths.

I'd like to see:

Payne, May, Gatens, Basabe and Cougill, with Marble the first man off the bench.

Don't dismiss the Cougill averaging less than 5 minutes a game this year talk. Fans are crazy.

Fan 1: "I can't wait to get out and play uptempo"
Fan 2: "hows Cougill going to fit in with that"
Fan1: "You didn't know, the slowest, most out of shape guy on every team thrives in an uptempo system."
Fan 2: "Oh so he's going to be like the trailer on the break and just light up it up from 3 then?"
Fan 1: "yea, thats the only way I can see him being used"
Fan 2: "Me too, as long as he just stays on the offensive end of the floor while the rest of the team tries to get the ball back on the defensive end that should work out great"

Just trying to keep things fresh on the bball front as this is a slow time of year. So I was wondering who would be your starting five right now(even though we'll add one or two more just forget about that and go with players on the team as of 5/23)

1. Payne/mccarty
2.gatens/marble
3.May/mccabe
4.cole/Basabe/Cougill
5.Archie/Brommer/Cougill

if cougill gets into shape that could change.

My guess is:
1. Payne- with Marble spelling him at times
2. Gatens- He will not come off the floor
3. May- he is another who will not see many bench minutes
4. Basabe- He and Archie will rotate a lot
5. Cole- he and cougs will rotate a lot.

Also watch for fran to go possibly to a 4 guard set, he did it at Sienna a lot. When they played against UNI a couple of years ago, he went 4 guards and ran UNI out of the gym. He is not afraid to play zone with 4 guards and a big man. He will try to use everything to his advantage to run and gun! Now I know I am going to get grilled for saying that, I know UNI is not the Big Ten. But just wait I can guarantee you they average more points than we did this year and they will beat some teams they should not normally beat! Fran is our guy and he is gonna get it done!

I know people don't always agree with me on this, but I just don't like both Gatens and May playing together for most of the game. I think we really need more ballhandling on the court, and a guy who can create his own shot. Handles are a tough thing to develop if you don't have them at the college level, and May didn't show much in the way handles last year. I think Marble will see a lot of time at the wing positions. I believe Marble will be able handle it against ball-pressure and have the ability to take his man at times next year. He showed a nice step-back jumper and midrange post-up game in his film.

I also think we need to stop playing undersized. Hopefully, Brommer can develop some confidence and then the game slows down for him. At the very least he is tall and somewhat coordinated and athletic. I think he can develop into a player who protects the rim, rebounds (he needs to get angry), and run the court. On offense he just needs to work on screening, not turning the ball over, offensive rebounds, and put-backs. Cole showed a jumper towards the end of the year, and if he can develop some sort of outside game he could become a decent and versatile forward. I'm skeptical Archie is even as good as the bigs we have seen.

Pg - Payne
Wing - Marble
Wing - Gatens
Forward - Cole
Center - Brommer

6th man - May
7th man - Basabe
8th man - Cougs

Rotations: Marble, Gatens, and May in rotation at the wing postition; Cole, Basabe, and Brommer playing the post with Cougs getting worked some; no rotation at PG all Cully all the time.

PG - Payne
SG - Gatens
SF - May
PF - Basabe
C - Cole

6th man - Marble
7th man - Cougil

TritonHawkeye has the correct rotation. It will work, and it will see the floor come November. Marble can sub for three positions, and Cougil for two. If the JC kid from Misissippi is accepted academically, he will be the first sub for Payne, allowing Marble to only need to sub at the SG and SF. A positive for a true frosh.

PG - Payne
SG - Gatens
SF - May
PF - Basabe
C - Cole

6th man - Marble
7th man - Cougs/Brommer (whoever Fran likes better)
8th man - McCabe (unless a back-up PG is picked up)

Brommer will get his chance this year to show what he can do, last year the only consistance playing time he got was when Lick was not on the bench. Cougil is going to struggle, I just don't think he can run the floor well enough to warrent the playing time, hopefully, for his sake, I'm wrong again.

Latest posts