who's your starting 5?

franstheman

Just trying to keep things fresh on the bball front as this is a slow time of year. So I was wondering who would be your starting five right now(even though we'll add one or two more just forget about that and go with players on the team as of 5/23)

1. Payne/mccarty
2.gatens/marble
3.May/mccabe
4.cole/Basabe/Cougill
5.Archie/Brommer/Cougill

if cougill gets into shape that could change.

G - Payne
G - Gatens
G - May
F- Basabe
C- Cole

I don't see Payne and Basabe coming off the floor often - completely my opinion. Rotate as needed. It's a completely different style coming.

I think Coug might surprise some people this next year. He started strong at the beginning of last year and then either Lick or something got into his head. Anyway, hope he turns it around by losing weight, working in the weight room and realizing that he's not 6'3''.

I think Coug might surprise some people this next year. He started strong at the beginning of last year and then either Lick or something got into his head. Anyway, hope he turns it around by losing weight, working in the weight room and realizing that he's not 6'3''.

No matter how in shape one gets, coordination and balance are genetic traits that no amount of plyometrics or yoga can overcome. Cougill will never be able to guard anyone. Never, ever, never.

I'm not sure who you were watching cliche but I found Cougill to be a pretty damn good ball player. The guy may not look the most athletic but he knows how to play ball. One of the keys to starting a fast break is to have a post guy that can pass the ball after a defensive rebound. Is he perfect? Not by a long stretch but I'll take him.

Starting 5 next year:

Payne
Gatens
May
Cole
Cougill

Basabe will see plenty of minutes as will Brommer. Marble and McCabe will spell Gatens and May. Archie will continue to disappoint and ride the pine. We are not deep AT ALL but we will improve our overall record.

I'm not sure who you were watching cliche but I found Cougill to be a pretty damn good ball player. The guy may not look the most athletic but he knows how to play ball. One of the keys to starting a fast break is to have a post guy that can pass the ball after a defensive rebound. Is he perfect? Not by a long stretch but I'll take him.

Starting 5 next year:

Payne
Gatens
May
Cole
Cougill

Basabe will see plenty of minutes as will Brommer. Marble and McCabe will spell Gatens and May. Archie will continue to disappoint and ride the pine. We are not deep AT ALL but we will improve our overall record.

I don't know what you were watching but I wouldn't be counting on Cougill to start your fast break if the first step is getting a defensive rebound.

why is everyone down on archie since we haven't seen him yet? big,athletic i'll give him a chance to show me what he can do.

1- Payne/McCarty/That other walk-on i can't think of his name
2-Gatens/Marble
3-May/McCabe
4-Basabe/Archie (I think he played this position at JC)
5-Cole/Brommer/Cougill

Cougill is going to be riding the pine all year. At least I hope he is.

Spoken like the central Iowan you are. Little knowledege or recognition of Northwest Iowa. Research Sioux County in Iowa High School basketball history. Check out Heelen in the last few years in both football and basketball. Where did Kirk Hinrich come from? Cougill wasn't Mr. Basketball in Iowa on a whim. How good a person is really doesn't have a thing to do with where they are from, but some folks don't understand that.

Well, cliche, for IA's sake, and I'm assuming you're an IA fan with over 1600 posts, that you're wrong about Coug. Lets hope that next season proves you wrong and that for the good of the team Coug rises beyond your level of expectation. Go Hawks and cheers to all Hawk fans.

Is Murphy a walk-on yet or is it all talk?? This is a kid that has played in high school against top level talent in Chicago and i think AAU. Anyway haven't heard for sure that he's on the team or maybe waiting for open try-outs. Ok here"s mine(for now) cully,gatens,may,basabe,cole. I would love to see archie turn out to be the kind of player that would thrive in an up tempo system(jurys out). I dont think we'll run like Loyola Maramount,and will change styles, so there will be a place for Cougill,Brommer.

Last edited:
I don't know what you were watching but I wouldn't be counting on Cougill to start your fast break if the first step is getting a defensive rebound.
I don't know why your so down on Cougs. With a lot of work he could be a Russ Milard type of a player. He has good basketball skills but needs work on his weight and quickness. Not every player on the floor is a shut down defender and I'm sure Fran wouldn't have him switch at the top of the key to defend a PG. Cougs has great touch behind the 3 point line, has some passing skills and can rebound. I'll take his offense on the floor even though his defense lacks a bit.

I am going to guess you really did not pay any attention to Cougill then all year if you really believe that.

Cougs played bad D last year....there's really no way around that, but he was a freshman so he may be able to improve. However, he was the last one up and down the floor last year and I can't believe he won't struggle in Fran's up tempo offense. I would love to be proved wrong, but as one poster said, you can't teach speed and coordination. He was a perfect fit in Licks system...this one...not so much.

Latest posts