Who's the recruiter?

tweeterhawk

Numerous threads have alluded to the fact that the men's program needs better athletes in order to again be competitive in the Big 10 and at tournament time, that good coaching and player development likely isn't going to be enough at Iowa. The state of Iowa does not produce an abundance of top-flight basketball players, and the few who do emerge seem to be snapped up by the Roy Williams, Bo Ryans' and Bill Selfs' of the basketball world.

So recruiting is going to be a harder task and more essential in restoring a struggling program like Iowa than it otherwise might be. Having a strong recruiter will improve the chances of keeping top talent at home and attracting some others from throughout the Midwest and even across the country.

Who has primary responsibility for recruiting on this staff? What are their connections? Where's their focus? Who have they successfully recruited in the past and why should Hawkeye fans have faith that they'll get the job done and that the talent level won't languish as it did under Alford and totally collapse as it did under Lickliter?

Other than Basabe, who came along with Fran, we have not seemed to be on the radar of prep prospects who could be game-changers. What reason is there to believe that will change any time soon?

in my opinion this staff doesn't have the greatest of connections and would be considered toward the bottom of the conference in recruiting. I hope I'm wrong.

This staff has a lot of connections on the East Coast. In looking at the coach that has been the main recruiter, Andrew Francis, he actually was the guy who initally recruited Basabe to Seina, according to Rivals. He is from Brooklyn and is reaching out to his old high school with Shaquille Stokes at PG, Stokes is making the transition from SG to PG this season. Also, look for Francis to offer a Top 150 of 2012 recruit from Basabe's high school, a 6-4 SG.
Sherman Dillard was affiliated with Nike Baskeball and its AAU circuit for many years of late, he has offers out to two players ranked in the Top 150 of 2012 in the state of Texas (6-10 C and 6-2 SG)
Iowa has also reached out to in the state of Georgia (6-9 C and 6-7 PF), I don't know who has offered them scholarships, Speraw/Dillard/McCaffery, but they both are in the Top 150 of 2012.

Just a side note, with just 2 scholarships filled, Iowa has a better 2011 class ranking than teams like Wisconsin and Purdue that have 3 or more LOI's and no more scholarships available, currently 7th. Iowa could be as high as 5th if they sign a couple more quality players, either freshman or JUCO's.

It takes some time to start getting the Top 150 kids consistently, but this staff will be just fine and their connections will be work out in the end.

in my opinion this staff doesn't have the greatest of connections and would be considered toward the bottom of the conference in recruiting. I hope I'm wrong.

LOL, what are you basing that off of?

If they struggle it won't be due to "lack of connections." Dillard is as connected of a guy as we could hire. Speraw had the connections to lure talent from Illinois down to UCF. We're currently recruiting a kid from Francis' high school, which happens to be the #1 team in NYC. Fran has established relationships all over the country.

The only thing I wold suggest is that we go the JUCO route immediately.

We need to be able to flirt with the NCAA tournament before we can get a top 10-20 recruiting class to reinvent Iowa basketball.

FACT:

Most of the ESPN Top 150 want to play in the NBA, and all of them think they will no matter how many simple facts tell them that is not the case.

FACT:

Name all of the first two round draft picks that came from schools that didn't make the postseason for the time they were at the school? Short list. Very short list.

Just like name all of the Iowa football players that over the course of their high school careers went 8-24 and never played in a state playoff game. Very short list.

The kids won't come until the wins come, and the only way to get this thing off the ground quickly enough so that we're not doing this dance again in four or five years is to get talent in place now.

I would add, that I really like Fran and do think he is going to turn us around.

The cupboard is so bare, I honestly don't think there is a player on the team that would be better than the 7th man on any tournament team.

Basabe will eventually be that guy... he isn't a bad foundation.

Boss, you are overstating things a bit now. There are plenty of teams that make it into the tourney that would gladly take some of the Iowa players. The bottom fifth of the field is generally pretty weak. Some of those micro-conferences that get an auto bid are not really that good.

Boss, you are overstating things a bit now. There are plenty of teams that make it into the tourney that would gladly take some of the Iowa players. The bottom fifth of the field is generally pretty weak. Some of those micro-conferences that get an auto bid are not really that good.

Of course those teams would take Iowa players whoever says they wouldn't is completely crazy. The bad thing is a lot of Iowa players should be playing at that level.

The issue is Iowa really only makes the NCAA tournament based on the 18 BIg 10 teams they play so Iowa should really only be concerning themselves with Big 10 competition. At this point it is fair to question how many Iowa players would play on other Big 10 teams.

Of course those teams would take Iowa players whoever says they wouldn't is completely crazy. The bad thing is a lot of Iowa players should be playing at that level.

The issue is Iowa really only makes the NCAA tournament based on the 18 BIg 10 teams they play so Iowa should really only be concerning themselves with Big 10 competition. At this point it is fair to question how many Iowa players would play on other Big 10 teams.

Meant to say 18 Big 10 games.

I like to evealuate this team based on Big 10 teams they play. I don't care about pre-season competiotion as Iowa doesn't really play much of a pre-season schedule.

Sherman Dillard's AAU, academy, camps, etc. connections aren't anything, right?

Sherman Dillard's AAU, academy, camps, etc. connections aren't anything, right?

Time will tell but these connections you state don't mean anything until highly rated kids start coming to Iowa. Like I said I hope I'm wrong. I want Fran to get us back up toward the top of the conference competing for titles again. But if you look closely there are top notch recruiters in the Big 10. It's going to be an uphill battle.

Time will tell but these connections you state don't mean anything until highly rated kids start coming to Iowa. Like I said I hope I'm wrong. I want Fran to get us back up toward the top of the conference competing for titles again. But if you look closely there are top notch recruiters in the Big 10. It's going to be an uphill battle.
That's fine. It was posted that the staff doesn't have connections... they do.

I think it's good to be critical of any new coaches recruiting. Lick and his lack of recruiting buried this program.

I think it's good to be critical of any new coaches recruiting. Lick and his lack of recruiting buried this program.

It is, but and I say, but here because look at what type of coach Fran has been to this point. He is fiery, intense, a proven program rebuilder and a very open and approachable coach, he has made a connection with the fans. Yes, there are going to be people who will want to take the wait and see approach, but just as a person and his personality, it is obvious he isn't the same as the last two coaches.

In the grand scheme of things, this staff is more prepared to build a program than any of the two previous coaches with their willingness to go and try and get kids from anywhere, that is how you find the underrecruited, something Basabe was.

Fran called Andrew Francis a "recruiting barracuda" and this staff has plenty of AAU ties out there for Iowa to get better at a faster pace.

I am hoping that Fran doesn't repeat Alford's mistake of not bringing in strong recruiting help until it's too late. I guess we'll see pretty quickly what Dillard and Francis are able to accomplish.

Fran has not even been here a year give him a damn chance, SHEESSSHHHHHHH

I understand everyone's frustatioms. The Alford years took the loaf from us and left crumbs. Lickliter then came in and took our water away. Fran is in the kitchen and is very hard at work and brought some extra supplies with him. I understand he has one hell of yeast formulation that has a reputation of getting great rising ability. His assistants are great chefs in and of their own abilities. They are out looking for the best ingredients as listed by the master chef (Fran). In time all things will come together and will be placed in the oven. You will know it is nearing completion by the aroma. We are all very hungry and starving for some nourishment. In time we will be served a slice of the best bread you may not have enjoyed since Lute bread.

As the previos poster pointed out Fran hasn't been here even a year yet. Let's be patient and let the master chef do his thing. Hey did I just hear someone's stomach growl?

The main reason why ran was hired is becuas of the fact that he has rebuilt programs and has made some noise in the tournament.

Fran didn't just hire any coach willing to come to Iowa, he took his time and hired a pretty darn good staff. It is going to take soem time. Fran can not have his best player leaving like Lick did the last three years so let's try to keep this train on the right track and stay positive about the players, coaches and program. The style of play is there, they are fun to watch along with frustrating to. Fran has a fire in him that burns to teach, coach and stick up for what he believes is right. Fran shouldn't be judged until year 3 at the earliest.

Latest posts