Who's in the Portal?

I guess I don't understand it from the aspect of, if he could contribute, we desperately needed him this year and if he has a future playing basketball at Iowa, why in the world would he RS THIS season when we were so short on bodies in the post, rebounding etc.. We likely missed the tournament this season being a guy short in the post. If he stays at Iowa I will be shocked. I never say never though, just seemed like a weird move to do unless you're just trying to help him out for being a great teammate and not eat up another year of his eligibility.
There is a window where a guy can not be good enough to help the team more that Evan Braun this year, but be worth another year of scholarship because he could really help over the next 3 years. Maybe he falls in that window.

There is a window where a guy can not be good enough to help the team more that Evan Braun this year, but be worth another year of scholarship because he could really help over the next 3 years. Maybe he falls in that window.
I hope you're right fwiw - I've always been intrigued by his skill set and I've always thought he played well with the minutes he got.... it just makes more sense to me that way I am thinking so I've already kind of made that move in my head as far as roster. I hope to be wrong.

I hope you're right fwiw - I've always been intrigued by his skill set and I've always thought he played well with the minutes he got.... it just makes more sense to me that way I am thinking so I've already kind of made that move in my head as far as roster. I hope to be wrong.
Just to be clear, I don't think what I'm saying is going to happen. I just think it's possible. I'm definitely leaning towards him leaving.

The timing of his redshirt was a little strange for that to be the reason. Why didn't he just do something like Christian Williams where he transfered right away once he knew he couldn't play. Instead he stayed a little longer and then announced a redshirt. It's entirely possible both he and Fran regretted him leaving high school a year early and wanted to get that year back.

A lot of kids are pretty good as juniors and really good as seniors. Without this redshirt he would have missed his really good year. If they think he will be a decent contributor for a couple years without a redshirt but a good contributor for a couple years with one, this move makes sense. I still lean towards your way of thinking. Bit I think what I lm saying is a legit possibility.
Agree, either one of you could be right, or neither of course. :)

Isn't that just peachy. Is he eligible to play in the sweet 16 or does he have to wait till the elite 8? Just kidding. But it is nice to see that even though programs that are still playing can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I'm sure Fran had been just too busy being locked into playing in the NIT to get around to shopping the portal yet. So we'll see what he does the next few weeks or however long the portals open for.

Isn't that just peachy. Is he eligible to play in the sweet 16 or does he have to wait till the elite 8? Just kidding. But it is nice to see that even though programs that are still playing can walk and chew gum at the same time.

I'm sure Fran had been just too busy being locked into playing in the NIT to get around to shopping the portal yet. So we'll see what he does the next few weeks or however long the portals open for.
If you don't have money to shop, why shop?

Kinda falls under the same motto as the lottery. Can't win if you don't play. Fran does play though he'll be trying. But yeah Iowa's hoops program isn't breaking the bank to get guys
Personally I'd spend all my efforts on getting Tony back, a good chunk of my NIL portal funds is going towards retention there. If that's not an option - that allocation can go somewhere else.

Personally I'd spend all my efforts on getting Tony back, a good chunk of my NIL portal funds is going towards retention there. If that's not an option - that allocation can go somewhere else.
I get the sense he's not coming back... I could be wrong I'm basing that on nothing. I'd be fine either way if he did or doesn't. But if as we've discussed about Dix maybe leaving though we'd be down to just Harding pretty much if TP doesn't come back too so that becomes really problematic and we'd have to become portal shopping big time then. I still find it odd that a good pg wouldn't want to come play for him. What a fun system to play in for a PG.

So what are the needs? You are looking for a point guard and a 4 or a 5.

We don’t know if Harding is a starter, playing 25+ minutes a game or just a really good role player. Based on what we have seen this year, there are arguments for both.

You desperately need a 4 or a 5 that can rebound and play defense. If Braun returns, can Fran make him a 8 and 4 guy and play off of Freeman?

So what are the needs? You are looking for a point guard and a 4 or a 5.

We don’t know if Harding is a starter, playing 25+ minutes a game or just a really good role player. Based on what we have seen this year, there are arguments for both.

You desperately need a 4 or a 5 that can rebound and play defense. If Braun returns, can Fran make him a 8 and 4 guy and play off of Freeman?
Yes yes yes. anything we can get. Getting an all around PG like that Smith kid for Utah that just killed us would be ideal but we can never seem to get that. And someone to replace Krikies minutes for sure too. If Brauns is playing 20 plus mins I don't think that'd be a good thing. Did he even have another yr I can't remember what he even was now that I think about it. He didn't really look all that good in the short spurts he was out there to me anyway. Did Mulvey get in the portal I don't think I'd seen that