Who will wrestle at 149 next year?

bud2380

I see we have 2 guys coming in near that weight. Jake Marlin and Brandon Sorenson. Will it be one of those guys, or someone currently on the roster? Are we going to have a shot at having a national qualifier next year at this position or not?

Outside of 149, we are pretty set right? Clark, Ramos, Dziewa, ??, DSJ, Moore, Evans, Lofthouse, Burak, Telford. Is that correct?

Looks correct unless Brooks can upset Ethen. Looks like a good line up BUT PSU could have one of the best lineups in history this year!!! 149 Grothus after an off season of weights!!

Predictions:

EL builds off this and keeps the spot.

Grothus wins the spot and the 4x-er red shirt.

Brands does a better job targeting March as the time to peak. For all the gnashing of the teeth, this team did win the B1G dual title, going 8-0. They need to peak at the right time, not 1.5 months before the NCAAs.

Looks correct unless Brooks can upset Ethen. Looks like a good line up BUT PSU could have one of the best lineups in history this year!!! 149 Grothus after an off season of weights!!

Megaludis really good but won't get past Delgado and Clark.
Their 33 and 41 pounders are bad.
Altons are overrated.
Brown, Taylor and Ruth will be in their last years.
Wright it gone.
They are mediocre at HWT.

PSU will be good next year but I see them losing to someone in a close race. After that, Cael and the boys will drop back to Earth and IA will once again dominate. He has been riding a good thing since he's been essentially able to combine a phenomenal group from ISU with some really really good PSU wrestlers - Molinaro, Ruth, Wright. PSUs reign will be over soon - just my 2 cents.

Megaludis really good but won't get past Delgado and Clark.
Their 33 and 41 pounders are bad.
Altons are overrated.
Brown, Taylor and Ruth will be in their last years.
Wright it gone.
They are mediocre at HWT.

PSU will be good next year but I see them losing to someone in a close race. After that, Cael and the boys will drop back to Earth and IA will once again dominate. He has been riding a good thing since he's been essentially able to combine a phenomenal group from ISU with some really really good PSU wrestlers - Molinaro, Ruth, Wright. PSUs reign will be over soon - just my 2 cents.

First off they may of been horrible at 133 and 141 this year but that could all change next year they have Jimmy Gulibon (beat Clark twice last year) coming off redshirt at 133 and Zain Rutherford (Junior World team member) could wrestle as a true freshmen at 141. I agree Altons are overrated. Brown is only a soph this year and they replace Wright with McIntosh who I believe was round of 12 last year.

Their lineup could be very salty and until we see some improved offense from Iowa we will be looking up at PSU

First off they may of been horrible at 133 and 141 this year but that could all change next year they have Jimmy Gulibon (beat Clark twice last year) coming off redshirt at 133 and Zain Rutherford (Junior World team member) could wrestle as a true freshmen at 141. I agree Altons are overrated. Brown is only a soph this year and they replace Wright with McIntosh who I believe was round of 12 last year.

Their lineup could be very salty and until we see some improved offense from Iowa we will be looking up at PSU

I'm not sold on Gulibon quite yet...I don't really see him being a step up from Conway. He didn't exactly set the world on fire in his redshirt year. McIntosh won't have the bonus point potential that Wright did, and is more suseptable to getting beat-lost to Burak's brother this year. They won't get more out of Brown, infact I'm guessing it'll be less. We'll see. Question for you Hawks1010:

What are your feelings about Marlin and Sorenson? I like what Marlin brings, but am not sold on Sorenson as being a difference maker at the next level. Do you agree? Why or why not? Thank you in advance!

The German kid who everyone was talking about. That's funny too. I can see why people left this forum.

that German kid is amazing! if only he could get that scholastic visa.

i think this kid is why Destin McCauley is staying away from iowa or even going to college yet ........

c'mon dudes - just kidding (lolling ...)

Last edited:
How about Grothus at 141 and Dz at 149? Grothus had a huge strength disadvantage this year that I just think isn't going to improve to where he would need to be at that weight. He's been in the program for 2 years now and to show that large of a weakness tells me he's either too small for the weight, or cutting too much.

Still, I think with improved mat awareness, Kelly is the man.

Latest posts