Who will "make the jump" in the offseason?

thejumper5

It seems like every year the Hawks have a player that goes from marginal to standout in just one offseason. Recent examples include Marvin McNutt, Allen Reisner, and Reiley Reiff (sp?). Who is it going to be next year? Here are my three top candidates:

Keenan Davis: From what I have heard, Davis has spent the last two years working extensively with James Vandenburg and the second team in practice. These two should be on the same page big time. I could see Davis leading the team in all three major receiving stats next year.

Carl Davis: Iowa has a starting spot available at DT, and this RSF should compete for the job. He has the size and strength to be a real force and is potentially an NFL quality talent. On the other hand, he might be a year away and could be Daniels' replacement in 2012.

Oddly, I didn't realize until after I wrote this that they were both named Davis.

Jonny Mullings: The mysterious Australian is probably our starting punter next year. He has a big-time leg. Look for him to maybe be a four-year starter.

I see Herman continuing the strong TE contingency Iowa has. Plus you can't forget Tanner Miller stepping in for Greenwood next year could easily be a big gainer.

Keenan is an obvious choice, given everything that he's got going for him, including having two years with Soup under his belt. Carl Davis is interesting, I'd like to see what he can do.

I really think DeAndre Johnson is going to be a guy to look out for behind Coker. He won't take over the starting gig, but I think he'll get significant carries, much like a Jewel Hampton or Damian Sims.

And given our history at TE under Ferentz, it would be foolish to not keep an eye on either Herman or Moped Man, or both.

Keenan is an obvious choice, given everything that he's got going for him, including having two years with Soup under his belt. Carl Davis is interesting, I'd like to see what he can do.

I really think DeAndre Johnson is going to be a guy to look out for behind Coker. He won't take over the starting gig, but I think he'll get significant carries, much like a Jewel Hampton or Damian Sims.

And given our history at TE under Ferentz, it would be foolish to not keep an eye on either Herman or Moped Man, or both.

Have you seen Krieger-Koble on a moped yet? Impressive

I'm going to say Jordan Bernstine. I thought he played fast and confident last night. If Sash leaves look for him to play a big role.

Or, given their relative ages, more of a repeat of Shaw/Banks?!

Can't comment on Shaw and Banks, as I only saw Banks play once (when I was 7). What kind of a back was Shaw? Cause the running styles of Coker/Johnson do fit the Greene/Hampton comparison (based off of what we saw of Johnson in the open practice back in August).

Offensively I think CJ Fiedorowicz makes a major leap. He came in already a polished receiver, having played WR in HS. Given a year to play and learn to block, not to mention get stronger, he should be an absolute terror next year.

Defensively I hope it's Carl Davis. Guy is humongous and if he can learn to play low, he'll be a beast. I think the sure thing on D is Micah Hyde. He played some last year, played a bit better this year, and seemed to really get better and better as the year went on. I remember him getting burned in the EIU game for their TD and wondering if he was good enough to start in the first place. His play in the Insight Bowl was much better and he really seems to play well with the ball in his hands and some space to operate. Punt returner?

"... play well with the ball in his hands and some space to operate. Punt returner?"

I thouht the same thing and said to myself why isn't this guy returning kicks and punts? What a game changer he could be?

Can't comment on Shaw and Banks, as I only saw Banks play once (when I was 7). What kind of a back was Shaw? Cause the running styles of Coker/Johnson do fit the Greene/Hampton comparison (based off of what we saw of Johnson in the open practice back in August).

Did you know Banks set the single game rushing record that day? Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Looking for our 3rd receiver after K.Davis and M McNutt....Cotton or Manley- Martin? We are going to have to see some new names at WR this year...maybe a true frosh like Grant? Someone will have an opportunity.

Also looking for dtackles,like Carl Davis or Bigach or Nardo to step up alongside Daniels....

But I like the new name to be Dom Alvis at d-end. This guy looks like a stud on the field and another year of strength training should make him a monster.

Tanner Miller/Bernstine/Shumpert/Kirksey/Lowery are all candidates for emergence.

CJ should battle Herman for starter and definitely be in the mix.

Just hope all our juniors return...we need all the experience guys we can retain.

Latest posts