who will have more wins this year Iowa or ISU?

Ooth, are you lightening up some? I figured you'd say something like this, "since kf is still the coach you can bet they will win 3 or 4 games."

FreedComanche

No thats not my beef with kirk. If Iowa is good enough to win six games then darn it you better win those 6 games. Thats where Iowa was last year. They were good enough to win 6 or 7 games. Most years Iowa leaves wins out there that should have won. Games lost to some of the worst teams in the country, and not giving the football team the chance to win at the end of games because of poor coaching is my beef.

Kirk builds up talent, keeps that talent out of trouble for the most part, gets a lot of that talent into the NFL, but he doesnt know how to use that talent come saturdays.

I think everything stopped at JVB last year. He couldnt get a handle on the offense. So we dont know if wrs can catch or run after they get the ball....because for the most part they werent getting the ball. We dont know how good the running game was because no teams had to think about Iowas passing game. The defense was in turn on the field soo much that we have no idea how good they could be if they were more rested.

Hawks may win more, but it won't matter, because the Clones play in the toughest conference in the known Universe, and in the end, that's all that's important.

No thats not my beef with kirk. If Iowa is good enough to win six games then darn it you better win those 6 games. Thats where Iowa was last year. They were good enough to win 6 or 7 games. Most years Iowa leaves wins out there that should have won. Games lost to some of the worst teams in the country, and not giving the football team the chance to win at the end of games because of poor coaching is my beef.

Kirk builds up talent, keeps that talent out of trouble for the most part, gets a lot of that talent into the NFL, but he doesnt know how to use that talent come saturdays.

I think everything stopped at JVB last year. He couldnt get a handle on the offense. So we dont know if wrs can catch or run after they get the ball....because for the most part they werent getting the ball. We dont know how good the running game was because no teams had to think about Iowas passing game. The defense was in turn on the field soo much that we have no idea how good they could be if they were more rested.

I disagree with several parts of your post, but rather than starting a whizzing match that will lead to 8+ pages, I will just say one thing about your post...

The receivers had MAJOR problems catching the ball. Iowa has been near the bottom of the conference for dropped balls the past two years. JVB did not always throw well. The QB and receivers were not always on the same page. The offense must've been hard for everyone to pickup on. The box was stacked because of a non existent vertical game.

But to say it all stopped at JVB would be completely inaccurate. Come on OoTH, you're better than that (I hope ;-P at least).

I disagree with several parts of your post, but rather than starting a whizzing match that will lead to 8+ pages, I will just say one thing about your post...

The receivers had MAJOR problems catching the ball. Iowa has been near the bottom of the conference for dropped balls the past two years. JVB did not always throw well. The QB and receivers were not always on the same page. The offense must've been hard for everyone to pickup on. The box was stacked because of a non existent vertical game.

But to say it all stopped at JVB would be completely inaccurate. Come on OoTH, you're better than that (I hope ;-P at least).

I think you are taking my post wrong.

When I say everything stopped with JVB I mean how is anyone supposed to know whats going on when the QB doesnt understand it(in which it seemed that there was no better understanding at the end of the year). Hard to catch the ball when you dont even think the QB knows your on the field, then all of a sudden comes a laser at you.

What dont you agree with? I dont think anyone knew the offense that well, you are going to notice it the most with the guy who has to touch the ball every play. Plays didnt have a chance half the time so I dont think we know what anyone can really do. I also dont blame a wr when they cant catch a ball at 100mph when they are 5 feet away. Iowa didnt go down field because JVB didnt look down field. JVB had problems but hes in the NFL for now. Its hard to make a good pass or catch a ball when in your mind you are not comfortable(thats as nicely as I can put it) with what you are doing.

Im not blaming any of the players because you cant play football when nobody understands whats going on.

So wait what are we arguing about again?

Well they did throttle some pretty good Iowa teams the last few years. I think Iowa State wins at least the next 5-10. They clearly have the momentum. Lazard will likely be a top 3 pick before his time is done. Just a matter if when he declares. Tommy Mister might be the best pure athlete to ever come out of the Chicagoland area. Campos has been compared to Orlando Pace. Also with recent huge gets like the linebacker out of Wisconsin, Iowa State is starting to strike the heart of the Big 10. With the seasons PR is putting together, you can bet that Meyer and Hoke are taking notice and doing everything they can to stop him from poaching all their blue chip recruits. With the best facilities in the country, potentially greatest coach in the modern era, and possibly the best fan base in the country I'd say an Iowa State win this year is all but a given.

Sorry, I have to partially disagree here. If Iowa State wins fewer than 11 games in 2013, it is purely a result of the murderers row that is the Big Twelve. Sure, everyone knows about Texas and Oklahoma, but everyone forgets about the likes of West Virginia (remember Major Harris?), TCU (hello LaDanian???), Baylor (ever heard of RGIII?), Oklahoma State (almost national champs a few years ago), Kansas (as many Orange Bowl wins as Iowa in the past 10 years), Kansas State (Sproles) and Texas Tech (BAM Morris). There just isn't a week off in the Big Twelve, unlike the SEC or Big Ten. Granted, CPR is the best coach in the country, but no great coach can possibly be expected to escape that schedule without some bumps.

Of course, Ames is the hardest place in the country to play (in both FB and BB (ever heard of Hilton Magic?)) and it changed the course of college football forever when ISU turned away Oklahoma State from the national title game (you getting an idea of how hard that schedule is yet?) a few years ago in a Thursday night game that every single sports fan and recruit in America saw on national TV.

To get an idea of how well ISU is doing, Notre Dame is looking at ISU recruits. And it wasn't long ago that Troy Davis was out in NYC as a Heisman finalist after compiling back to back 2000 yard seasons (meaning he was better than both Barry Sanders and Thurman Thomas (both Oklahoma State players and thus in the Big Twelve)). Let us not forget that Jake Knott recently threw out the first pitch in a Kansas City Royals game, too. The Royals aren't just out there asking anyone to throw out an opening pitch for a 1:20 game on a Tuesday, they only want the creme de la creme for that.

Both will likely have similar records, with the mustard and ketchup team from lames having a couple less wins. With tht said it will be a bad season for us and a glorious triumph for so powd to be your coach paw whoades. Cyclone nation dominates again! On to glory, FIRST DOWN!!!!

I don't see more than 6 games on ISU's schedule that they even have a chance at winning. I think there's 8 games on Iowa's schedule where they will at least be competitive.

For Iowa, I think it depends on whether or not the young guys who gained valuable experience last year can figure out how to win the close ones. If they figure it out, then I think the Hawks end up with 7 or 8 wins. If not, I believe they'll still still get to 5 or 6.

I don't see ISU getting past 5 wins so I'd say worse case scenario, it ends up a push. Just for the sake of making a prediction... I'm gonna go with 7 wins for Iowa and 4 for Iowa State.

I don't see more than 6 games on ISU's schedule that they even have a chance at winning. I think there's 8 games on Iowa's schedule where they will at least be competitive.

For Iowa, I think it depends on whether or not the young guys who gained valuable experience last year can figure out how to win the close ones. If they figure it out, then I think the Hawks end up with 7 or 8 wins. If not, I believe they'll still still get to 5 or 6.

I don't see ISU getting past 5 wins so I'd say worse case scenario, it ends up a push. Just for the sake of making a prediction... I'm gonna go with 7 wins for Iowa and 4 for Iowa State.

So you agree that the Big 12 is better than the Big Ten, right? Iowa and ISU are a push talent-wise, CPR is obviously better than Kurt, so given that you think ISU will win fewer games than Iowa means you understand how tough the Big 12 is.

Iowa doesn't have a QB with D1 experience. Nor do they have a QB that was "elite" out of high school. However, they are a run oriented team, at least they should be. If Weismen(sp) can stay healthy and pick-up where he left off last year and the OL performs well, they could very well get back to a bowl game. I have no idea about the defense. ISU's offense *should* be improved. The hiring of coach K has added the pistol formation to the offense. Considering ISU has at least 4 solid running backs, ISU could very well turn more to the run game. That said, Richardson gives ISU a mobile QB that adds an extra wrinkle. The defense isn't going to that good, but since Rhoads and staff have been in Ames, the defense hasn't ever been Chizik bad. I'm predicting 5 or 6 wins. Traditionally, I stay away from picking wins as an ISU football fan.

Iowa doesn't have a QB with D1 experience. Nor do they have a QB that was "elite" out of high school. However, they are a run oriented team, at least they should be. If Weismen(sp) can stay healthy and pick-up where he left off last year and the OL performs well, they could very well get back to a bowl game. I have no idea about the defense. ISU's offense *should* be improved. The hiring of coach K has added the pistol formation to the offense. Considering ISU has at least 4 solid running backs, ISU could very well turn more to the run game. That said, Richardson gives ISU a mobile QB that adds an extra wrinkle. The defense isn't going to that good, but since Rhoads and staff have been in Ames, the defense hasn't ever been Chizik bad. I'm predicting 5 or 6 wins. Traditionally, I stay away from picking wins as an ISU football fan.

Why should ISU's offense be better? They have had mobile QB's for awhile now, and it doesn't make or break the offense for them.....Steele, Richardson, Tiller, etc. I also don't think that the Pistol is some fix for them offensively. Rhoads obviously doesn't have any confidence in Messingham, as he called him out a couple times, and then hires a position coach to bring in another offense??? It is all kind of confusing really. With the D being up in the air, the O will have to consistently score lots of points to win. I just don't see it happening, and I see 4 wins for the Clones this year.

I wouldn't dismiss the fact the defense won't be as good that easily. I remember watching some ISU games last year and it was that defense that kept giving the offense chances. That offense needs to definitely be improved to bridge the gap. I can see the clones possibly getting to 5 but 4 seems more realistic.

Iowa may very well end up with the same record. I give the Hawkeyes a slightly better chance of exceeding that due to the fact that the defense could end up being pretty decent by the end of the year. The key for the Hawkeyes offense is keeping a healthy OL. If that happens I'll say the Hawks have more wins in the B1G.

The key for the Hawkeyes offense is keeping a healthy OL. If that happens I'll say the Hawks have more wins in the B1G.

I will also go out on a limb and predict the Hawks to have more wins in teh B1G than teh Clones. Unless of course ISU beats Iowa and the Hawks go 0-8 in B1G play. I just dont see that happening though.

I will also go out on a limb and predict the Hawks to have more wins in teh B1G than teh Clones. Unless of course ISU beats Iowa and the Hawks go 0-8 in B1G play. I just dont see that happening though.

I don't think they'll win a big 12 game. Kansas will beat them this year.

Rhoads should have left when he was getting some attention because I don't see him ever having a 6-6 season again. Nobody will want him after this season.

It takes talent to win games, Paul. And let's face it, nobody wants to come to Ames. Yeah, you got Lazard but that was more because of his family than your staff. I know you are a good coach, but you are in the worst place in the country, save New Mexico, to attract talent. You and I both know that Jamie will fire you after the 2014 season. He doesn't understand that nobody good will ever want to come to Ames. You'll always have a shot at the prospects that the rest of the big 12 doesn't want, but that won't win you games.

FreedComanche

FreedComanche

I don't think they'll win a big 12 game. Kansas will beat them this year.

Rhoads should have left when he was getting some attention because I don't see him ever having a 6-6 season again. Nobody will want him after this season.

It takes talent to win games, Paul. And let's face it, nobody wants to come to Ames. Yeah, you got Lazard but that was more because of his family than your staff. I know you are a good coach, but you are in the worst place in the country, save New Mexico, to attract talent. You and I both know that Jamie will fire you after the 2014 season. He doesn't understand that nobody good will ever want to come to Ames. You'll always have a shot at the prospects that the rest of the big 12 doesn't want, but that won't win you games.

FreedComanche

FreedComanche

I dont agree with the bolded. Chizik landed the Auburn job after he won 5 games in his 2 seasons in Ames, IIRC.

I know he used to be a DC there but Whoads has connections at other BCS schools that would maybe give him a shot at the head job.

I dont agree with the bolded. Chizik landed the Auburn job after he won 5 games in his 2 seasons in Ames, IIRC.

I know he used to be a DC there but Whoads has connections at other BCS schools that would maybe give him a shot at the head job.

Hey, I hope Rhoads gets a shot somewhere big. I just think it's unlikely and we are finding out how much of a strange situation that got Chizek to Auburn. Things like that don't happen much when you have a two year head coach with a horrid record get hired by a top 25 BCS team.

On Chizek, lol, he's bad, man. Just bad and I think he knows it. If he's smart he won't try to be a head coach again. Maybe a D. Cord, but what coach who has a national championship will want to make such a big step down?

Gene, realize that you suck as a head coach and then take all your money and invest it wisely. Because you won't get another shot at the big time.

FreedComanche

FreedComanche

Latest posts