Who will be the biggest Impact player not getting HYPE now in 2010 FB Season?

I think people make some good points about Ballard, but I think the DL is getting a lot of "hype" as a whole unit, so maybe he doesn't exactly qualify for this question. I would say the same for Fedora-Witch.

I think Brad Herman will be good. He's bigger than Reisner, and Captain Kirk praised his perfomance in the spring. (Although would some consider that hype?) I also look for big things from Don Nordmann, especially in the red zone, with his 6-6 frame.

Completely agree on Nordmann, he looked terrific in the spring game. I also think that Reisner is going to have a big year for us (not knocking Herman, just think Reisner will be the #1 all year). TE is always a big focal point for us, and Reisner has got the skills for it. Decent wheels, good blocker, GREAT hands. He had the one-hander in 2008 against Wisky, and then pulled out a fingertip, sliding catch on the sideline in Madison last year. The guy's got game, he's just spent his time here so far behind Myers and Moeaki. That doesn't say a whole lot about his ability, because a lot of guys would sit behind those two.

Micah Hyde, I remember hearing a lot last year about him being impressive in the pre-season. Something tells me he's going to add some solid depth to the secondary.

Some nice posts. I'm surprised not to see Jamie V or Klug on this yet. I think Klug might go nuts this year.

James Ferentz.

Center play will be much in improved.

The center is the anchor, if the center goes the play falls apart.

Last edited:
I'm gona go with Tarp, if he doesn't make an inpact at LB there's no doubt he'll make some big impacts on special teams.. pun intended

Mossbrucker's turn. Again. We all remember Murray's kick against Penn St. and Mossbrucker's struggles the following week. But as Marc Morehouse reminded me he also set Iowa freshman scoring record and led Big Ten in field-goal percentage in 2008. Let us hope he excels. I believe he will.

Mossbrucker is on I have thought to be ready to win us a big one too. I think Hunter will have a huge year and I think maybe Wegher goes out to the slot and runs the Ol jail break screen for about 4 TDs and many key 1st downs.

Completely agree on Nordmann, he looked terrific in the spring game. I also think that Reisner is going to have a big year for us (not knocking Herman, just think Reisner will be the #1 all year). TE is always a big focal point for us, and Reisner has got the skills for it. Decent wheels, good blocker, GREAT hands. He had the one-hander in 2008 against Wisky, and then pulled out a fingertip, sliding catch on the sideline in Madison last year. The guy's got game, he's just spent his time here so far behind Myers and Moeaki. That doesn't say a whole lot about his ability, because a lot of guys would sit behind those two.

Yeah, I was taking Reisner at #1 TE as a given. I highlighted Herman, because I think a lot of fans expect Fedora-Witch (one of Kirk's most hyped recruits) to step in and take over, either as #1 or #2 TE. I don't think Kirk was blowing smoke when he said that he would need to earn a spot on the field. If CJ isn't mentally prepared to prioritize his role as a blocker at UI, then he'll spend a lot of time on the bench this year, even with his gifts as a receiver.

My understanding is that all the talk about DJK being in the "doghouse" a couple years back was overblown, and he was getting less playing time simply due to not developing enough as a blocker. This coaching staff is dead serious about that. Keenan Davis should definitely take note. Davis will primarily be competing against Sandeman (experienced, reliable, good blocker.) The coaches will definitely utilize Keenan's gifts at WR, but Colin will still get lots of snaps, especially if Keenan doesn't earn their confidence as a blocker.

Which is all to say that I think Herman is a forgotten man at this position, and Hawkeye fans will learn his name this year as the "next man in" in at TE. Reisner certainly isn't someone you would say is getting "hyped," but for the most part fans know his name as a regular contributor for the last two years. I'm excited about all of these kids' potential.

Some nice posts. I'm surprised not to see Jamie V or Klug on this yet. I think Klug might go nuts this year.

Again, I think all of our starting defensive linemen are "disqualified" from this question, because our DL is getting mad hype as probably the best in the Big Ten and possibly the best in the nation. Don't get me wrong: I'm Krazy for Klug.

I would like to see some more blowout wins against our lesser opponents so that Vandy can get more playing time -- and his mom can get more camera time :)

But seriously, Hawks, for Fry's sake, Eastern Illinois and Ball State do not have to be close games this year! And to a lesser extent the same holds for ISU, Indy, and Minny. I'm sure Vandy learned a lot from his baptism by fire last year, but some more reps in mop-up duty this year can help him develop his timing. (Particularly with the likes of McNutt, Davis, Nordmann, Fedora-Witch and Herman, looking ahead to 2011.)

Yeah, I was taking Reisner at #1 TE as a given. I highlighted Herman, because I think a lot of fans expect Fedora-Witch (one of Kirk's most hyped recruits) to step in and take over, either as #1 or #2 TE. I don't think Kirk was blowing smoke when he said that he would need to earn a spot on the field. If CJ isn't mentally prepared to prioritize his role as a blocker at UI, then he'll spend a lot of time on the bench this year, even with his gifts as a receiver.

My understanding is that all the talk about DJK being in the "doghouse" a couple years back was overblown, and he was getting less playing time simply due to not developing enough as a blocker. This coaching staff is dead serious about that. Keenan Davis should definitely take note. Davis will primarily be competing against Sandeman (experienced, reliable, good blocker.) The coaches will definitely utilize Keenan's gifts at WR, but Colin will still get lots of snaps, especially if Keenan doesn't earn their confidence as a blocker.

Which is all to say that I think Herman is a forgotten man at this position, and Hawkeye fans will learn his name this year as the "next man in" in at TE. Reisner certainly isn't someone you would say is getting "hyped," but for the most part fans know his name as a regular contributor for the last two years. I'm excited about all of these kids' potential.

I've been saying that about DJK for a long time now. Watching Shonn Greene's highlight reels showed an awful lot of DJK not engaging defenders downfield. He looked to be doing the same against Minnesota in 2008, and I swear Greene ran him over on purpose. And the first thing I noticed when DJK returned to the lineup was that his downfield blocking was MUCH improved.

And you're right about Davis. Sandeman has shown that he's a more than capable receiver, and he's a very good blocker. Certainly willing to hit someone, not unlike Hinkle was.

I've been saying that about DJK for a long time now. Watching Shonn Greene's highlight reels showed an awful lot of DJK not engaging defenders downfield. He looked to be doing the same against Minnesota in 2008, and I swear Greene ran him over on purpose. And the first thing I noticed when DJK returned to the lineup was that his downfield blocking was MUCH improved.

And you're right about Davis. Sandeman has shown that he's a more than capable receiver, and he's a very good blocker. Certainly willing to hit someone, not unlike Hinkle was.

Yup yup! Hopefully Davis, and all the guys of course, take notice of DJK, and the Iowa coaching staff in general, and the impact down field blocking has.

DJK had some impressive blocking this past season, especially the second half. It seems he really took note of how important blocking is.

4:20ish mark is when the play stops (watch him look back, see someone else get the ball, turn and block his man)
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRyS5tDv-bA]YouTube - Michigan at #12 Iowa 2009[/ame]

There are others, can't track them down, but DJK was very improved in his down field blocking, and it directly correlated to greater on field time.

Latest posts