Who will be our Starting OL for Eastern Illinois?

clim33

I think there will be a surprise. My guess is:

LT - R Reiff
LG - Jul Vand
C- Ferentz
RG - Orne
RT - Zus

What is your prediction?

Is this just a guess of yours? Has Orne done anything or Gettis done something to not make him the fav at RG? I'm not calling you out- just curious.

Until we here otherwise, I guess we'll probably just have to go off what we've heard from the first two deep:

LT: Reiff
LG: Vandy
C: Koeppel/Ferentz
RG: Gettis
RT: Zusevics

Agree Raziel- it's probably too early to consider anything else at this time. But I would agree about Orne, pretty sure the coaches are high on him and he doesn't seem to get a lot of consideration when talking about potential starting lines.

Agree Raziel- it's probably too early to consider anything else at this time. But I would agree about Orne, pretty sure the coaches are high on him and he doesn't seem to get a lot of consideration when talking about potential starting lines.

Well, the problem I have with that argument is the fact that KF has been talking up Gettis for 2 years now to Orne's one...if Orne takes the job from Gettis, he's going to have to be DAMN good.

Great thread. Heart of the team, success of the season rests on Oline. Can't wait to see them in action. Will be there for EIU, Mich, IU, and trying to make Northwestern happen. BTW, I see Gettis in there to start as well. Guards and centers interchangeable though, if baby Ferentz gets the nod at center, Koeppel could move over... we'll see.

I'd be surprised if Koeppel moves over to G if he doesn't get the C job. At this point I'm guessing Koeppel does grab the C job, if only because IMO Ferentz will have to greatly outplay him. I don't think Coach Ferentz wants any appearance of favoritism and will give the benefit of the doubt to Koeppel over his son in order to avoid it. That's pure speculation on my part though. At this point I see the same lineup we've had since spring which is very good sign IMO.

Well, the problem I have with that argument is the fact that KF has been talking up Gettis for 2 years now to Orne's one...if Orne takes the job from Gettis, he's going to have to be DAMN good.

well, it wasn't meant to be an argument- i agree that KF has been talking up gettis quite a bit and even did today i guess.

Not trying to pick a fight hawkeyehat, but if Ferentz is the better center, even by only a small margin, he's gonna start. This isn't high school, and if anyone tries to claim that KF is showing favortism at the DI level they should be run out of the state, he's too much of a professional.

I can't wait to see this group perform, no matter how all the pieces come together, KF and Morgan always seem to mold a great final product up front.

Not trying to pick a fight hawkeyehat, but if Ferentz is the better center, even by only a small margin, he's gonna start. This isn't high school, and if anyone tries to claim that KF is showing favortism at the DI level they should be run out of the state, he's too much of a professional.

I can't wait to see this group perform, no matter how all the pieces come together, KF and Morgan always seem to mold a great final product up front.

No offense taken. Obviously it's something we'll never be able to prove anyway. :)

I just find it interesting that the players are carbon copies of each other, even size wise. I think in such instances the nod has gone to the veteran player more often than not. Koeppel has paid his dues and I think will get the first look at starting.

I agree with that, KF and staff have always seemed to give the edge to the veteran. I admit that sometimes I've gotten upset about some veterans that have gotten playing time when I've thought a younger guy has more talent.

Some questions asked about why I went with Orne over Gettis.........Just a gut feel. I think both will play but I think Orne might be "nasty" like we haven't seen since Bruggs. I hope both do very well and if the OL is solid I don't care who it is. Also no one has mentioned Nolan McMillan. What's his story

Latest posts