Who went to spring scrimmage and what are the big news items

uihawk82

How did the OLine and qbs look? Running backs looking explosive?

Especially how was the passing game? Were routes simpler yet better?

Defense has such an emotional element to it that it is hard to judge anything on that side of the ball when they really are not flying around and crushing people.

Joey Labas 5 for 5 for 73 yards and a TD. Hearing Padilla and Labas outplayed Petras.

On another forum people were saying Labas and Padilla were going against the 2nd and 3rd defense while Petras was going against the 1's and 2's. It will be interesting to hear what people say who were there.

On another forum people were saying Labas and Padilla were going against the 2nd and 3rd defense while Petras was going against the 1's and 2's. It will be interesting to hear what people say who were there.
Yes, but they were also playing with the 2's and 3's on offense so it balances out some. Also it seems Labas was mostly throwing to walk-ons. Hopefully they all got some reps this spring with the 1's but I'm not confident they did.

Read Chad L.’s article for the real story on all three. Good stuff.
I read that article and it seems that Petras has sort of looked the best overall for the whole spring but didnt have a super last saturday. Chad L. said Labas and Padilla looked pretty good Saturday.

So overall it seems we have Petras is #1A, Padilla is #1B, and Labas is #2 with only his grasp of knowing the whole offense holding him back.

So these qbs and receivers can workout together over the summer and then August practices will still see a qb competition to see if either of them can be the way best #1. The fact that the offense is being simplified may bring Labas into the equation sooner than later.

And it didnt sound great that blitz pressure caused Petras to have a wide throw as all the qbs need to make those plays to burn the defense

I wonder what Labas really needs to know to grasp the whole offense:

1. Hand off to the short side of the field, ole stretch play.
2. See first down marker, throw short of it on 3rd down and let your receivers make the play.
3. Tunnel screen, bubble screen.
4. The occasions when you do throw it down field.

Yes this is very simplified and more goes into it than this......but is the Iowa offense really that complicated?

My other random thought is why can't Petras definitively separate himself from the other two by now? Yes, it would appear, in terms of who is going to get the job it is clear in Kirk's mind, but performance wise where we can all see he is lacking what is holding him back from being the clear cut guy?

2. See first down marker, throw short of it on 3rd down and let your receivers make the play.

Yes this is very simplified and more goes into it than this......but is the Iowa offense really that complicated?

My other random thought is why can't Petras definitively separate himself from the other two by now? Yes, it would appear, in terms of who is going to get the job it is clear in Kirk's mind, but performance wise where we can all see he is lacking what is holding him back from being the clear cut guy?
Lack of consistent accuracy

My thought is that YES, Iowa's offense is much more difficult for the QB and the offensive edge players. How many other offenses in the Big 10 (or in all of the NCAA for that matter) have the offense line up and then all skill positions and most linemen look to the sideline for the play, depending upon how the defense aligns? And in those offenses, the QB basically has to make one read. Iowa's QB has to read the defense alignment and then if the play called looks as though it won't work, it is audibled - all all players have to hear the audible call; and it's easier if the edge players don't have to hear the audible which, if you're being honest, is hard to hear in a packed stadium.

Now maybe it would be better if the play calling happened when the team was lined up and the coaches (especially the coach in the press booth) called the play and then the players simply aligned for and ran the play sent in. It would definitely be much easier on the QB.

My thought is that YES, Iowa's offense is much more difficult for the QB and the offensive edge players. How many other offenses in the Big 10 (or in all of the NCAA for that matter) have the offense line up and then all skill positions and most linemen look to the sideline for the play, depending upon how the defense aligns? And in those offenses, the QB basically has to make one read. Iowa's QB has to read the defense alignment and then if the play called looks as though it won't work, it is audibled - all all players have to hear the audible call; and it's easier if the edge players don't have to hear the audible which, if you're being honest, is hard to hear in a packed stadium.

Now maybe it would be better if the play calling happened when the team was lined up and the coaches (especially the coach in the press booth) called the play and then the players simply aligned for and ran the play sent in. It would definitely be much easier on the QB.
Dont forget the every-game delay of game or time out called because Ferrets didnt get the play in on time.

Dont forget the every-game delay of game or time out called because Ferrets didnt get the play in on time.
That's one thing that kills me every time. We've got a booth full of coaches responsible for getting in Kirk's ear the instant the previous play ends. Where's the hold up? By this time with a veteran staff it should be a seamless process getting the play in, no matter what the situation.

If the other 2 qbs literally got no reps with the 1st team then that should tell us all we need to know. It doesn't even matter how Petras or any of them did or not. How they distribute the reps with the 1st team is all that matters. Petras would have to go 0-4 with 4 pick 6s before KF would consider benching him it seems like. Is what it is. If anyone is expecting a different starter on day 1 next season they'll be disappointed.

You left out

5. Go for it on 4th down and either the full back goes the wrong way or the QB slips when trying to execute a sneak!

Prob why we punted against Kensucky in the bowl game on 4th and a half yard.
I mean imagine that, Stanley, outside of selling his soul out for 1 game against Ohio St (or rather Urban likely nailing the local strippers that week instead of focusing on the Iowa game plan) he was an absolute blue-chipper on the QB sneak. Average to below average everywhere else. But he had that sneak going for him.

And now we have Petras....Stanley without the sneak...probably a little less than that. Then we have two other guys who apparently can't beat out Petras in practice much to the liking of the good Captain.

Man if we only had a QB with an even average overall offense to go along with our fairly competent defense (sometimes just down right tough) and good special teams.

Who knows, maybe the QB situation will surprise in the fall. One can only hope right?

It blows my mind how at other places they put true freshmen out there. Keep in mind when they do that they are doing it despite having more experienced people on the roster.

Somehow at Iowa the system is soooo difficult for players to grasp. It takes years to be ready...as if it were a complex wine vintage.

Latest posts