Who was the last New York Iowa Hoops player?

I EMAILED YOU THAT JOHN. WHAT DO i WIN?

Yes, you certainly win :)

I had forgotten where Leslie was from...but again, that was via Juco...the last kid to come straight from New York is what I was thinking of. Hawkins played on Iowa's freshman team but never played varsity

Connie doesn't count. As a freshman in 1951 I played baseball as a freshman, receiving a "freshman numeral", (like a freshman letter). Hurt my back that summer trying to do a dive off the 3 meter board that I wasn't ready for and tried to play baseball as a sophomore but had to quit. I've never claimed to have "played baseball at Iowa".

Connie doesn't count. As a freshman in 1951 I played baseball as a freshman, receiving a "freshman numeral", (like a freshman letter). Hurt my back that summer trying to do a dive off the 3 meter board that I wasn't ready for and tried to play baseball as a sophomore but had to quit. I've never claimed to have "played baseball at Iowa".

You should claim playing at Iowa if you wore an Iowa uni in competition.
Connie wore an Iowa uni,altho not sure if it was against other teams?

Suffice to say, it has been awhile since the Big Apple has been good to Iowa bb....Connie could have been the best ever in a Hawk uni...maybe Melsahn will be the second coming?:)

You should claim playing at Iowa if you wore an Iowa uni in competition.
Connie wore an Iowa uni,altho not sure if it was against other teams?

Suffice to say, it has been awhile since the Big Apple has been good to Iowa bb....Connie could have been the best ever in a Hawk uni...maybe Melsahn will be the second coming?:)

Freshmen were not eligible for interscholastic competition back then. We only played against each other. There were probably about 18 of us who got freshman numerals. Instead of a letter we were given a gold sweater with the number of the year we were to graduate. Mine had 1954 on it. It was the same in all sports. It was the same when Connie Hawkins played.

Freshmen were not eligible for interscholastic competition back then. We only played against each other. There were probably about 18 of us who got freshman numerals. Instead of a letter we were given a gold sweater with the number of the year we were to graduate. Mine had 1954 on it. It was the same in all sports. It was the same when Connie Hawkins played.

I love stories like this... seriously... thank you for sharing.

I have heard that Connie played alot of pool back in the day. The bad news was that he put his game ahead of going to class.

I was just looking at my fathers freshman numeral sweater. I have that, his letter jacket, his Letterman's ring and a couple of watches he won in holiday tournaments. The best of those is an omega with an image of the newly opened Los Angeles Sports Arena. Dad used to tell a story about how Connie Hawkins could dribble to the basket with a ball in each hand, palm them both up off the dribble, jump and dunk both balls. That would have been something to see. Too bad he never got to play varsity at Iowa.

I thought there was someone on the roster during the eighties that was from New York.

Bill Jones? Detroit?
Johnny Fort? California?
Micheal Reaves? Georgia?

Maybe there wasn't, but I could have sworn there was someone.

Latest posts