who to root for this weekend

DYK88

via Rittenberg on his ESPN blog -

Iowa should root for ...

* Oklahoma State to beat Texas. Unlike Florida and Alabama, the third-ranked Longhorns likely can't afford a regular-season loss and still reach the BCS championship game. If Texas falls to Oklahoma State on Saturday, Iowa will jump ahead in the BCS standings and stay there if it keeps winning.
* Oregon to beat USC. The computers love Iowa (average rank: 1) and don't love USC (average rank: 9), but the Hawkeyes would like to get the Trojans off of their backs the rest of the way. The human voters always will love USC, which, like Iowa, will have several quality road wins (Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon) if it runs the table. A loss Saturday in Eugene knocks USC out of the national title picture.
* Syracuse to beat Cincinnati or remain close to the Bearcats. Cincinnati must continue to win impressively, but the Bearcats still have two games against ranked opponents (Pitt and West Virginia), where Iowa has only one (Ohio State). A loss or a few ho-hum wins would create some separation.
* UNLV and San Jose State to beat or stay within striking distance of TCU and Boise State. The Horned Frogs and Broncos must not only continue to win, but look very impressive in doing so to remain high in the polls. A close win or two would hurt them and help Iowa.
* Arizona not to do anything crazy during its bye week. Every win by the 20th-ranked Wildcats helps Iowa, which beat Arizona 27-17 back on Sept. 19.
* Penn State to keep winning in impressive fashion. With the tiebreaker in hand, Iowa can afford to root for Penn State, as every Nittany Lions' win helps the Hawkeyes' cause.

via Rittenberg on his ESPN blog -

Iowa should root for ...

* Oklahoma State to beat Texas. Unlike Florida and Alabama, the third-ranked Longhorns likely can't afford a regular-season loss and still reach the BCS championship game. If Texas falls to Oklahoma State on Saturday, Iowa will jump ahead in the BCS standings and stay there if it keeps winning.
* Oregon to beat USC. The computers love Iowa (average rank: 1) and don't love USC (average rank: 9), but the Hawkeyes would like to get the Trojans off of their backs the rest of the way. The human voters always will love USC, which, like Iowa, will have several quality road wins (Ohio State, Notre Dame, Oregon) if it runs the table. A loss Saturday in Eugene knocks USC out of the national title picture.
* Syracuse to beat Cincinnati or remain close to the Bearcats. Cincinnati must continue to win impressively, but the Bearcats still have two games against ranked opponents (Pitt and West Virginia), where Iowa has only one (Ohio State). A loss or a few ho-hum wins would create some separation.
* UNLV and San Jose State to beat or stay within striking distance of TCU and Boise State. The Horned Frogs and Broncos must not only continue to win, but look very impressive in doing so to remain high in the polls. A close win or two would hurt them and help Iowa.
* Arizona not to do anything crazy during its bye week. Every win by the 20th-ranked Wildcats helps Iowa, which beat Arizona 27-17 back on Sept. 19.
* Penn State to keep winning in impressive fashion. With the tiebreaker in hand, Iowa can afford to root for Penn State, as every Nittany Lions' win helps the Hawkeyes' cause.

I am torn on the Oregon v. USC game. A Oregon win helps Boise State's case and I am beginning to hate them as much as USC. All the love they get for the crap (I can say that on the Internet can't I -- Thats okay) schedule they play is crazy. They beat ChOkalhoma in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago and since then they are incredible/unbelievable/better than any Big Ten team. blah, blah, blah.

I am torn on the Oregon v. USC game. A Oregon win helps Boise State's case and I am beginning to hate them as much as USC. All the love they get for the crap (I can say that on the Internet can't I -- Thats okay) schedule they play is crazy. They beat ChOkalhoma in the Fiesta Bowl a few years ago and since then they are incredible/unbelievable/better than any Big Ten team. blah, blah, blah.

I think the sooner USC loses, the better...they would finally drop in the human polls. I think if Oregon wins a close game, then it doesn't hurt us too much. On Boise State, having one really good win is still not going to make up ground on the computers for the rest of their crappy schedule. Go Ducks!

what would a 10-2 or 9-3 Wisky be ranked by years end? I think we need them to keep winning too.

Big fan of Zona, Oregon, PSU, Wis, and Pitt from here on out.

What would hawkeyenation do if the Clones could somehow get into Big XII champ and knock off TX to put Hawks in nat'l champ? Dare to dream

what would a 10-2 or 9-3 Wisky be ranked by years end? I think we need them to keep winning too.

What would hawkeyenation do if the Clones could somehow get into Big XII champ and knock off TX to put Hawks in nat'l champ? Dare to dream

Congratulate the Clones because they would be going to a BCS bowl game as well. I guess if you are going to dream, might as well dream crazy, wild, big dreams.

For the rest of the season we are fans of Iowa State(god that's hard to say), Kansas St and Colorado in the Big 12. These are the North teams Texas does not play. It would also be nice if Arkansas State found there mojo, especially this week against Louisville. They were picked to finish near the top in their league and could finish with a rush.
We also need Purdue and Illinois to continue to lose, although it would be nice if Illinois could beat Cincinnati. These teams doing well should keep us atop the computer rankings.

Then we just need to pickup about 3 points per ballot in the Harris and Coaches polls to pass Texas, assuming they stay about where they are at on the computers.

A Pittsburgh or West Virginia victory over Cincinnati is also probably a must as they will get a boost on the computers by playing two one loss teams. Barring this we need Pitt and W. Virginia to start losing.

My list is the same as DKY.

For me the most beneficial win for Iowa is Oky State over Texas.

I think we really need a Texas loss this weekend. I don't think USC can move ahead of Iowa when we finish undefeated. Flordia and Alabama will take care of themselves in the SEC championship game so that leaves Iowa and the winner of the SEC to play for the National Title.

Don't forget the big came coming up in 2 weeks!
Ohio State is playing AT Penn-State.
A big victory by the Nittany Lions would go a long ways in helping the Hawkeyes...in several ways.

I think we really need a Texas loss this weekend. I don't think USC can move ahead of Iowa when we finish undefeated. Flordia and Alabama will take care of themselves in the SEC championship game so that leaves Iowa and the winner of the SEC to play for the National Title.

Its would all depend on how far we could move up in the human polls. They have a lot of room for improvement in the computers. They are currently .720 in the computer third and they are current 7th-8th-8th-9th. They should get a big spike by the computers because they are playing a 6-1 Oregon which is ahead of them 4 of the 6 polls. They would probably pick up .10 or more in the computers by the end of the year, our current lead is .0305.

Maybe you should apply for a job being a college football analyst! You seem to know exactly what you are talking about...I agree 110%

And by the way...#1 in the computer rankings, GO HAWKS!!!

If a win by them put us in the title game I think my cyclone hatred would end forever, (or until next year).

Latest posts