Who says Ricky Stanzi can't play in the NFL?!

thejumper5

If John Skelton can start in the NFL, I believe Ricky can too. He just has to be in the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) situation.

Twitter

Stanzi best QB (size, rating) since Chuck Long IMO. Long had some of the best o-lines in his day at Iowa. Long held clipboard for most of his career. It all depends on what team wants him.
I see him going as free agent, even though he should be no lower that 4th rnd. Hey Brady was a 6th rnd and look what he did. It all depends on what he does when he gets the chance. I beleive that is all he needs, oh and make sure he goes to a team with a good o-line,(see Chuck Long).

Would be kinda funny if he got drafted to San Franciso or Denver. There are a lot o' hippies there.

Stanzi best QB (size, rating) since Chuck Long IMO. Long had some of the best o-lines in his day at Iowa. Long held clipboard for most of his career. It all depends on what team wants him.
I see him going as free agent, even though he should be no lower that 4th rnd. Hey Brady was a 6th rnd and look what he did. It all depends on what he does when he gets the chance. I beleive that is all he needs, oh and make sure he goes to a team with a good o-line,(see Chuck Long).
Long was never any better than a quick 10 yard sidelines pass!! This is why he never made it in the pros. Same as Brad Banks. Good ol consevative play calling.

What Stanzi has that would be attractive to the NFL, is the attitude and willingness to improve. Under the right QB and QB coach, he could be molded into a very good QB.

He would certainly need to improve his decision making and retouch his throwing, but he'd make an excellent QB if given the chance.

Long was never any better than a quick 10 yard sidelines pass!! This is why he never made it in the pros. Same as Brad Banks. Good ol consevative play calling.

most prolific passer in IOWA history did it all with 10 yrd dumps! No way!
What I am trying to say is Stanzi could be great if he gets the chance on a good team! The speed in NFL is 10x what it is in college. With out good NFL line he wont get chance to adjust and adapt to speed.
Long went from great college o-line to poor line at Lions. Never had chance to grow!

"stanzi could be great"

I respectfully disagree, as I have been doing with the Stanzi kool-aid drinkers for two years. Someone with NFL greatness potential doesn't go 0-5 with chances to win in the 4th quarter with good receivers against college defenses.

His max upside is Jim Sorgi.

:)
"stanzi could be great"

I respectfully disagree, as I have been doing with the Stanzi kool-aid drinkers for two years. Someone with NFL greatness potential doesn't go 0-5 with chances to win in the 4th quarter with good receivers against college defenses.

His max upside is Jim Sorgi.

If he gets to back up Payton Manning, cash 10 years of NFL paychecks without seeing field, no long term health issues to deal with. Hell if that isn't great what is?

JP Losman and Sage Rosenfels also used to start in the NFL. Jamarcus Russel and Craig Krenzel too. I think Ricky will get a chance in the NFL. He'll make a roster but I don't know if he'll be a starter anytime soon. I feel like his best case scenario would be to go to a team with a good, experienced QB who won't be around too much longer. Think Indianapolis, New England, Seattle, or New Orleans. All of those QBs have at least 4 or 5 more seasons in them, but I could see him being a long-term backup and then having a shot when they retire. Like an Aaron Rodgers type situation.

If he gets to back up Payton Manning, cash 10 years of NFL paychecks without seeing field, no long term health issues to deal with. Hell if that isn't great what is?

That would be nice, and I think he's got a shot. I like him a lot and I hope he's in the league a long time and banks some nice coin.
My problem is not with him, it's that I believe he's the most overrated Iowa football player of my lifetime.

IMO his best situation would be to get drafted by the Colts. Peyton has probably 5-6 more years and he is one of the best. Not to mention the Colts have a thing for Iowa and Big Ten players.

That would be nice, and I think he's got a shot. I like him a lot and I hope he's in the league a long time and banks some nice coin.
My problem is not with him, it's that I believe he's the most overrated Iowa football player of my lifetime.

Are you my father in-law? He hates Stanzi and thinks the same as you!
Overrated only counts if you have a losing record and marginal stats. He'll get chance because of his w-l record and rating.

Are you my father in-law? He hates Stanzi and thinks the same as you!
Overrated only counts if you have a losing record and marginal stats. He'll get chance because of his w-l record and rating.

Not anyone's father-in-law. Just someone who is confident that Tate, Banks, Chandler, Rogers, Hartlieb, and Vlasic could have won us as many games these last 2 years as Stanzi did. Yet, some people want to say he's Chuck Long's equal--it drives me nuts. At the same time, I like the guy and hope he proves me wrong and has a great career.

very unlikely P.Manning plays 10 more years, to achieve this kind of clipboard carrying status he would have to get behind A.Rodgers or M.Ryan

i don't think anyone said he's chuck long's equal. i believe many people put him as second on the list or even lower

i don't think anyone said he's chuck long's equal. i believe many people put him as second on the list or even lower

I think someone started a thread asking if he was our greatest QB ever--I'm too lazy to look to it up. The consensuses was 2nd best and probably still is, although that may be slipping.

Ricky Stanzi will probably hang on as a third QB for 2-3 years and then sell insurance. The only way he starts is if there is a situation like what the Carolina Panthers had this season.

Long was never any better than a quick 10 yard sidelines pass!! This is why he never made it in the pros.

Long never made it in the pros because he was drafted by Detroit. He was a quintesential pocket passer and Detroit didn't run that kind of offense. Chuck Long = Jim Everett if he's drafted into the same kind of system that Everett was in L.A.

Latest posts