Who likes Hockenson highlights?

There are so many subtleties in a game that make a difference between a play working or not.

Man...I watched a mock draft show and they had TJ at 12 and Noah at 32. The gushed over Hockenson and crapped all over Fant. It was weird. He doesn't block, he drops balls, and this and that. They then said, maybe the Alabama TE would be a better fit.

I agree Hockenson is the better all around player, but if you needed a guy to beat a safety in a corner route and go up and get it...I'd pick Fant. When it's for money, and it's an NFL coach telling him he's got to run block...I think Fant gets the message. I love them both...and they both are going to have great career...but the way this group of "experts" tanked on Fant was surprising. The guy is a freak...and freaks with a head on their shoulders become stars in the NFL.

Man...I watched a mock draft show and they had TJ at 12 and Noah at 32. The gushed over Hockenson and crapped all over Fant. It was weird. He doesn't block, he drops balls, and this and that. They then said, maybe the Alabama TE would be a better fit.

I agree Hockenson is the better all around player, but if you needed a guy to beat a safety in a corner route and go up and get it...I'd pick Fant. When it's for money, and it's an NFL coach telling him he's got to run block...I think Fant gets the message. I love them both...and they both are going to have great career...but the way this group of "experts" tanked on Fant was surprising. The guy is a freak...and freaks with a head on their shoulders become stars in the NFL.

noah fant will land with a team that throws the ball and needs a TE with speed. i also think fant is a better blocker than given credit for (i'm guilty) if you consider him having the speed and athleticism to engage db's in the run game. it looks like fant blocks very well when he does have to power block. tj is just a maniac. i think they both have a chance to be 10+ year vets and all pros.

It is funny, start of the season it was all, "Fant is the best TE in the nation." And that mindset was tough to get past for a lot even as Hockenson was proving the slightly superior overall TE during the season. After the season, there was a poll on who would go first, and I think it was about 70/30 picking Fant.

Then the scouts started to pour over the film, and Hockenson rocketed up draft boards. All of a sudden he was a potential top-10, and Fant was falling to the bottom of the 1st round.

Then Fant did what we all knew he would do at the combine, and all of a sudden people had him as the first TE off the board, completely forgetting about all of the game-film Hockenson had laid down in 2018.

Now, a bit removed from the combine, we are back to Hock being the 1st TE, and Fant being #2.

As that highlight video linked above shows, Fant can be a really good blocker. He has the size, power, and technique. He is less consistent with technique, but he is far from a "receiving only" TE. His speed is incredible, and his burst out of cuts is more like a WR than a TE. Frankly, if all you ever saw of him was running routes on air, he is an all-timer.

But football has more nuance. There are these little things like having a feel for holes in the zone, knowing how to get a guy leaning with your eyes, subtle jukes to clear space, knowing how to use your physicality and agility to your full advantage as a ball-carrier, unwavering focus on a ball in the midst of a sea of distractions. Hockenson just seems better at most of these things. So if I need to send a TE deep and have him "go up and get it", I would pick Hockenson.

That said, Fant is a stud, and I hope they both end up all-pro.

Beyer will be better than both of them, by the way ;)

I’ve always thought that Fant would be a better receiver in the NFL than a TE.

Watched all that tape...great stuff. Some of those Wadley clips reminded me of what we missed this past year. He had that burst to just make the unblocked guy miss. It's so much easier to block for a guy like that.

Who were the mock draft experts on this show? My opinion of their opinion would determine how much credibility I would give to their opinion.

Yeah I've seen some say Irv Smith would go ahead of Fant but that's nuts. Fant is noticeably bigger stronger faster not to mention more productive all while playing with another TE taking targets from him. So no way he falls further down then him. That would mean Green Bay would have to pass on him twice... that isnt happening. Both he and TJ are going in top 20 no if and or butts

I wonder how often a school has the top 2 players at any position. It's pretty crazy.

I just hate what comes with that. The " why couldn't Iowa be better than 9-4" stuff that feels like it is coming(it may already be here) without any context.

I do not like the Hockenson/Gronk comparisons that the nationally media has gone to. Gronk is a freak of nature and Hock is his own dude. If you are going to make comparisons it is Zach Ertz , that is the guy I see that closely resembles Hock.

I just hate what comes with that. The " why couldn't Iowa be better than 9-4" stuff that feels like it is coming(it may already be here) without any context.

Tight end isn't really the best position to have 2 great players tho. As far as helping the team get a better record goes.

Latest posts