Who is Tanner Miller?

espn has him listed as a running back but he looks like a sound tackler....safety imo would be a good fit

Seems like he has the measurables we like to turn into a safety or outside linebacker, but seems like we're pretty stacked at LB in this class

rivals has him at a 4.5 40 which would be good enough for safety.....can anyone say special teams.....the next jamie murphy haha

Iowa has need to bolster its depth at BOTH safety and linebacker. Tanner's measureables suggest that he's a 'tweener and could develop into either spot depending on need. Sounds like a nice fit!

As I think about it more, Tanner could potentially also project at WR ... especially given that he was a QB in high school. QBs have typically ended up at WR or LB for us ... with a few "passing through" S as well.

I'll be curious to see where he ends up.

I think he had one of the top 25 times in the 400 hurdles in America last year. Also, would he be the first Mid Prairie Iowa commit since Jason Dumont?

Last edited:
Oh wow....a Jason Dumont reference. Haven't seen him in ages - is he still reffing high school ball?

My hope for Tanner is he becomes as important to the Hawks as another Mid-Prairie grad - James Erb. :)

heitland -

Makes sense ... however, it does make Hitchen's comments a little strange. I guess that the coaches told Hitchens that his 'ship opened up due to Cato leaving ... however, it's interesting that that coincided with Lorenzo Waters passing on Iowa.

Our lack of proven depth at safety certainly merits such a push in recruiting at the position, however, I suppose that Miller's offer and subsequent commitment also is due to the conclusion that the coaches intend on having a TR FR see action at safety this year.

He is coming in as a safety. Fast kid, and really grew a lot his last 2 years.

since im guessing we will play both true frosh at safety and the LB spots, doesn't hurt to add a few guys at each spot, plus his athleticism allows him to play many different positions which inlude safety, LB, WR, or even FB. If i remember correctly, Tillison is back on campus as well and that would give some good depth at the OLB spot or even safety if they have him move back there.

I go to Mid-Prairie, just talked to him today. He's pretty pumped.

He played RB and DB and occasionally QB when the offense needed a little change. I see him as a Greenwood type of player and there's no reason he can't start at the position his Soph./Junior year. Good addition to the team.

I'm excited to see him on the field..I think it's possible he will see a little time this year.

Last edited:
Coaches said in Dec that he is more athletic than Greenwood at his age. Been following his recruiting closely, I knew he was in Lincoln last weekend and that he was visiting Iowa this past weekend.

Last edited:
Oh wow....a Jason Dumont reference. Haven't seen him in ages - is he still reffing high school ball?

My hope for Tanner is he becomes as important to the Hawks as another Mid-Prairie grad - James Erb. :)

Dumont now coaches football with ex-Hawk Marv Cook at Iowa City Regina.

I would sat that Miller's situation is similar to Brandon Myers getting an offer late. I had a chance to watch Brandon and Tanner both in High School as I lived in their respective towns as they were playing. They are definitely different style of players and different body types. I am just saying that the offer is kind of similar in my mind. They both kind of flew under the radar for the most part. If Tanner pans out as well as Brandon did, I will be fine with that.

Tanner is more of a pure athlete in my opinion, and his performance on the track (sub 53 sec. 400 hurdles, sub 15 sec. 110 high hurdles, 50 flat open 400) illustrates this. I could see him either as a WR or safety, linebacker would also be a possibility if he can do a Greenway type body transformation. Great to see him get an offer. Hope he does the Golden Hawks proud.

Seems like Iowa has a history of doing well with the late offers to under the radar kids. I believe Brandon Myers, Reisner and Brett Morse were all last minute offers. Hopefully Miller can keep up the tradition. He sure looks like a solid safety prospect.

His dad and uncle played football at Nebraska...good bloodlines.
Sounds like just another late pickup that will be extremely motivated to produce for the Hawks...and will end up being a good scholly.
Congrats,young man...you are living the dream now.

I would sat that Miller's situation is similar to Brandon Myers getting an offer late. I had a chance to watch Brandon and Tanner both in High School as I lived in their respective towns as they were playing. They are definitely different style of players and different body types. I am just saying that the offer is kind of similar in my mind. They both kind of flew under the radar for the most part. If Tanner pans out as well as Brandon did, I will be fine with that.

Tanner is more of a pure athlete in my opinion, and his performance on the track (sub 53 sec. 400 hurdles, sub 15 sec. 110 high hurdles, 50 flat open 400) illustrates this. I could see him either as a WR or safety, linebacker would also be a possibility if he can do a Greenway type body transformation. Great to see him get an offer. Hope he does the Golden Hawks proud.

:52's in the 400 hurdles is flat out flying btw... wow.