Who is Iowa's biggest Big Ten rival

It's Minnesota. Floyd of Rosedale, etc. The smack-talk between Iowa & Minnesota is unparalleled.

Minnesota. Wisconsin is a close second. Illinois is third. Northwestern is a distant fourth. Iowa has no other Big Ten rivals.

Have the past ten years (or so) sown the seeds of a potential Penn State-Iowa rivalry? Possibly. Are they a rival? No! Not Penn State. Not Ohio State. Not Michigan. Please, stop arguing this. The fact that they're historically good teams that Iowa has beaten a few times in the past few decades does NOT make them a rival.

Its definitely Minnesota. The fact that we play them last adds even more impact to the game. Plus, we all hate the Gophers

I think it is a 1a 1b type situation with Minnesota and Wisconsin. I personally think Minnesota is the biggest rival but Wisky is a close close second. I think there is genuine dislike between these teams and it shows on the field. They are usually hard fought and close games. HOpefully we can dominate Minny again this year.......

I would go MN first and Wis second. Past that, I don't see another strong mutual rivalry. Maybe Illinoise, but they are a distant afterthought to me.

I like to think of a rival as someone that I despise losing to but yet respect, because they are successful and we do not get to always thump them. It is like the Cubs-Cardinals: They are the Cubs rival, NOT the Brewers, because the Cards actually win quite often.

I agree that on paper Minnesota is our rival (as my username implies), and that since we end the season with them, they are our rival.

But, it is the teams we strive to complete with on a yearly basis (OSU, PSU, UM, UW) that get my blood flowing each year. I expect to beat Minny even in "down" years.

Grew in Clinton County, 10 miles from the River, so for me it is Illinois! Also my aunt went to Illinois, and took me to my first Iowa FB game, a 31-3 (or was it 31-0?) beat-down at the hands of Jeff George (1989, IIRC). Forever sour on Illannoy after that. I will root for every Big Ten team in their non-conf games, except Illinois. F them, I hope they go 0-for-everything, forever.

I think Wisconsin getting Bielema adds to the Hawk-Wisky rivalry. Has anyone actually ever seen the tattoo?

I think a rivalry is a series where neither team really dominates, and year-in/year-out each team has a pretty good chance at winning. By that definition, I would say that Wisconsin is probably our biggest rival. Minnesota is a default rival because of Floyd, but we have beaten them like a drum recently.

When talking Rivals I always think of Michigan. After watching the great Iowa and Michigan teams battle through the 80's that always sticks out to me. Not so much anymore but I think it will be again in the near future.

When talking Rivals I always think of Michigan. After watching the great Iowa and Michigan teams battle through the 80's that always sticks out to me. Not so much anymore but I think it will be again in the near future.

Of the 9 times Iowa and Michigan met during the 1980s, Iowa won 3 times. Michigan leads the all-time series 40-11-4.