Who got the rock in the face?

I remember Louhaus and Hilll at Indiana, and thought it was a dirty play that could cause damage. Knight used to have his players slap the backboard in an attempt to redirect the dirdection of the ball away from the basket.....

Under Coach Farmer at UCLA, he would deliberately have his playser step on the back of an opponents shoe on a fast break causing the player to lose control of the ball and sometimes fall down.....

En cambio, Duez Henderson thrrw the ball at an opponents back, stepped inbounds, caught the ball and made an easy basket, but that is another situation that does not compare.....

Last edited:
Seriously, no one would have the balls to throw one in Eddie Horton's face! I remember Lohaus and Hill as being on the receiving end of this dirty ploy and remember Hill flicking a jab in the thrower's face in return.

Last edited:
I think it was sometime in early 2000, I watch UCLA being upset by Washington. i remembered seeing one player inbound pass to the defender's nose and the coach from UCLA were upset with no calls.

Looks like maybe I was wrong.

Feb. 21, 1987 - Brad Lohaus, during game with Indiana. The linked article mentions an earlier incident that season but doesn't mention the opponent or the Iowa player.

The Telegraph-Herald - Google News Archive Search

March 12, 1988 - Kent Hill hit in the face by a ball thrown by Indiana's Todd Jadlow. Hill was ejected when he retaliated by poking Jadlow in the face.

The Telegraph-Herald - Google News Archive Search

Yes, Lohaus and Hill were the most noteworthy. Had it been Horton, he would have killed somebody. Jadlow was lucky Hill didn't snap him in half.

If you ever question whether Knight had the refs intimidated...this is your proof. Most would have T-ed up the inbounder for obviously beaning a guy in the face. Somehow Knight's punks got away with it. I wonder how he would have felt about a sharp elbow to the face for one of his "too close" man-on-man defenders.

As a quick follow-up... imagine engaging Bobby Knight somewhere, challenging the man he can't play defense.. setting him up as he assumes the proper defensive set and then firing a basketball at his face.

This would be absoultely awesome. I am still laughing thinking about it.
I remember Jaacks and Koch getting blasted in the face. Jaacks was by an Indiana player.

tx for the links to some fascinating articles reporting on a "legal" strategy to defeat the Iowa press over the 13 years Mr. Davis Davis coached Iowa BB.

So what is your thought? Is it a legal play to fireball a BB to the head of the player guarding/standing within a few feet from the in-bounds line?

Is it sportsman like... let alone moral? Should then any player be allowed to do this with a 5 second violation running down?

Good question. In my mind, it just proves that you are a poor coach. Can't think of a way to relieve pressure on the inbounder so just hit him in the face with the ball. Pathetic.

The most "famous" incident involved Lohaus.

Ed Horton broke Jay Burson's freakin neck and put him on the shelf for good. :cool:

I know this happened more recently too, I'm thinking Jess Settles, Kingsbury, or someone from about that timeframe was smacked in the face on an inbounds pass. Not too sure it wasn't against Indiana or Purdue. If memory serves the guy that hit him in the face was a redhead that I couldn't stand - a Keady coached team.

I believe it was Micheal Lewis who hit JR Kotch in the face while defending the inbounds. That was the last time I remember that happening.

Latest posts