Who gives a Sh|t about Tucker drinking?

HaydensDad

Seriously, whats the big F'in deal. He got drunk and got caught twice in 2 years. Our team needs all the help they can get. It seems silly to ruin a season based on a player acting like a 20 year old.

Somebody on Hawkcentral posted this:
Why is this such a big deal? Who gives a rip if the guy got a pub intox. I've had 2 and its not that big of deal. He's a 20 year old. What is so bad about him getting drunk on the weekend? Would we hold any other students to the same standard? I find the double standard unfair to the athletes. It's not like he sexually assaulted somebody (twice). I think Pierce's punishment for his first assault was about the same as Tuckers for drinking. Ridiculous.

It's a big deal because:

1. He is out at the bars almost every night according to student at UI.
2. He drinks to the point on passing out in alleyways and beating on cabs.

It's a big deal because:

1. He is out at the bars almost every night according to student at UI.
2. He drinks to the point on passing out in alleyways and beating on cabs.

And, he is being given a full-ride scholarship to play basketball and be a student at the University of Iowa. Being a drunk doesn't promote either of those two activities.

I don't think people care that the players drink every once in awhile. But the fact that he does it to the point of extreme excess to be cited for it is worrisome. He has now cost his team two conference seasons and worse is that he seems to never learn from his previous mistakes. It is not very easy to get public intox in IC, you have to be doing something extremely dumb to get cited for these.

Not to mention that with this last incident, the cab driver apparently felt threatened by Tucker and locked himself in the cab. Yeah, sounds totally harmless to me, too. And I'll bet the OP wasn't a scholarship athelete, either.

Seriously, whats the big F'in deal. He got drunk and got caught twice in 2 years. Our team needs all the help they can get. It seems silly to ruin a season based on a player acting like a 20 year old.

Why is this such a big deal? Who gives a rip if the guy got a pub intox. I've had 2 and its not that big of deal. He's a 20 year old. What is so bad about him getting drunk on the weekend? Would we hold any other students to the same standard? I find the double standard unfair to the athletes. It's not like he sexually assaulted somebody (twice). I think Pierce's punishment for his first assault was about the same as Tuckers for drinking. Ridiculous.

you also forgot he didnt take care of his grades and became ineligible that way last year....hes not a team player it seems

Pierce had to sit out an entire year. Still not enough punishment in many eyes but certainly more than Tucker's.

It matters because the minute he accepted the scholarship, he stopped being just any 20 year old student and became a public representative of the University of Iowa and, like it or not, a role model for a lot of grade school kids out there. It's not just basketball and those who say it is have blinders on. This excuse of he's just another student out there drinking is BS. When you accept a scholarship, you accept a lot of other things along with it that other students don't have to worry about.

And I'll bet the OP wasn't a scholarship athelete, either.

It is likely every poster on this board has enjoyed a drink or two... but the difference is knowing when to say when.

... And yes, he is held to a higher standard as a student-athlete.

I don't think people care that the players drink every once in awhile. But the fact that he does it to the point of extreme excess to be cited for it is worrisome. He has now cost his team two conference seasons and worse is that he seems to never learn from his previous mistakes. It is not very easy to get public intox in IC, you have to be doing something extremely dumb to get cited for these.

It depends on the cop. I was put in jail (public intox) for attempting to bring two cans of Budweiser into Kinnick. I don't think that was "extremely dumb". Don't forget it is a huge moneymaker for the county. I don't think its a coincidence they are bumping up citations when their actual budget is down.
I see everyone's points. I just think, at least in general, that athletes are held to a higher standard than everybody else.

"I see everyone's points. I just think, at least in general, that athletes are held to a higher standard than everybody else."

As they should be!

It matters because the minute he accepted the scholarship, he stopped being just any 20 year old student and became a public representative of the University of Iowa and, like it or not, a role model for a lot of grade school kids out there. It's not just basketball and those who say it is have blinders on. This excuse of he's just another student out there drinking is BS. When you accept a scholarship, you accept a lot of other things along with it that other students don't have to worry about.
Good point

I dont care if he drinks because all college kids drink - just stop being an idiot about it. I drank hard for 4 years during college and never got a public intox. I also never almost died because i passed out in an alley. If he cant handle his liquor like an adult then he shouldnt drink

He is on scholarship and it was in season. I would agree if it was off-season who then would really care. But this was in season when you accept a scholarship it is like any contract you sign you have to abide by the terms. Plus my big deal with it was that it was during the season.

You think that ruined the season?

Are you lenient towards Tucker's drinking because you yourself are obviously drunk right now?

It depends on the cop. I was put in jail (public intox) for attempting to bring two cans of Budweiser into Kinnick. I don't think that was "extremely dumb". Don't forget it is a huge moneymaker for the county. I don't think its a coincidence they are bumping up citations when their actual budget is down.
I see everyone's points. I just think, at least in general, that athletes are held to a higher standard than everybody else.

Of course athletes are held to a higher standard. What is wrong with that?

Maybe not extremely dumb, but very stupid.

He is on scholarship and it was in season. I would agree if it was off-season who then would really care. But this was in season when you accept a scholarship it is like any contract you sign you have to abide by the terms. Plus my big deal with it was that it was during the season.

Let's not be the program that turns a blind eye toward criminal activity. Those of you that would prefer not to have the kid punished for his actions seem to be rationalizing that it's not a big deal because you've done the same thing. What Tucker did is criminal behavior...and it happened twice...for the same offense.

It seems to me that many fans get outraged over criminal behavior deemed to be "thuggish" yet don't want to punish behavior that is more typical of small town Iowa people.

For the record...I committed several alcohol related offenses in my younger days and that is why I don't think I should be allowed to play basketball for the Hawks...despite my ability to dribble between my legs...and ocassionally behind my back...plus I can palm a women's basketball.

Latest posts