Who gets their way in alignment: Wisconsin or Iowa?

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Michigan and Nebraska will be in one division. Penn State and Ohio State will be in the opposite division. The next two most successful programs since 1993, the criteria Jim Delany set out, are Wisconsin and Iowa.

I would suggest both programs would want to be in the west with Michigan and Nebraska....who gets their way? Who gets to call in their marker? Barry Alvarez is like a freaking unofficial spokesman for the Big Ten right now...one of two men to ever win three Rose Bowls as a coach...along with Woody Hayes...he is very active..and young.

Who wins the showdown?

Have you considered this? I had not, until this morning.

WEST

Michigan
Nebraska
WISCONSIN
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern

EAST

OSU
PSU
IOWA
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois

Have you thought about this? Do you like it? I am not a fan of it...and I understand the instant thought; no way is Iowa not playing Nebraska....well, Wisconsin wants exactly what Iowa wants...someone is going to be ticked off...who gets to play their chip?

I think Wisconsin is the only one that wants Wisconsin in the west. You guys didn't seem to consider that this morning. Very interesting discussion, but Nebraska is going to be very unhappy if they 1. Don't have Iowa in their division 2. Have a protected rivalry with PSU instead of Iowa

why do people think that if you are not in a division of a team that that team won't be played?

The possibility of OSU and Michigan not being in the same division should answer that question.

There will be 9 conference games, so only two teams will not be played in any one year, and I'm sure there will be a rotation, just like there is now.

why do people think that if you are not in a division of a team that that team won't be played?

The possibility of OSU and Michigan not being in the same division should answer that question.

There will be 9 conference games, so only two teams will not be played in any one year, and I'm sure there will be a rotation, just like there is now.

Yes, but you won't play those teams every year that are in the different division, so you won't get to play every team (nebby, minny, and wisky) every year, like you would if you were in the same division. If Iowa were in the West with Wisky and Nebby, they could have a protected rivalry with Minny and still be able to play all 3 every year.

That could kill our 3 (possible) rivalries with Minny, Wisky, and Nebby. Not a fan at all.

Yeah, I wasn't thrilled about the Michigan to the West talk, now if Iowa or Wisconsin moves East, i think this whole thing stinks.

Another thing, I don't think i am convinced PSU/Nebraska should or will end the season. It still makes too much sense to have MSU/PSU, Iowa/Nebraska, Minny/Wisconsin, etc.

That could kill our 3 (possible) rivalries with Minny, Wisky, and Nebby. Not a fan at all.

I think it is interesting that Iowa and Wisconsin would NOT be in the same division. I am sure that Nebraska would rather have the rivalry with Iowa and not Wisconsin every year. I am going to agree with a previous poster and say that it will be Iowa because the b10 doesn't want to tick off Nebraska already.

In the long run competetively for Iowa it might not be the worst thing simply because the division Iowa would be in would have better recruiting grounds. I would take recruiting Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, and Indiana over the North schools any day.

The problem is, Michigan wouldn't play MSU every year unless they were in the same division. If you move Iowa or Wisconsin out of the West then Wisconsin or Iowa would miss either Nebraska or Minnesota in the rotation.

Michigan and Nebraska will be in one division. Penn State and Ohio State will be in the opposite division. The next two most successful programs since 1993, the criteria Jim Delany set out, are Wisconsin and Iowa.

I would suggest both programs would want to be in the west with Michigan and Nebraska....who gets their way? Who gets to call in their marker? Barry Alvarez is like a freaking unofficial spokesman for the Big Ten right now...one of two men to ever win three Rose Bowls as a coach...along with Woody Hayes...he is very active..and young.

Who wins the showdown?

Have you considered this? I had not, until this morning.

WEST

Michigan
Nebraska
WISCONSIN
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern

EAST

OSU
PSU
IOWA
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois

Have you thought about this? Do you like it? I am not a fan of it...and I understand the instant thought; no way is Iowa not playing Nebraska....well, Wisconsin wants exactly what Iowa wants...someone is going to be ticked off...who gets to play their chip?

So you are saying no matter what Wisky and IOWA are going to be in two different divisions?? Alvarez can take a hike. He's just trying to build a case for Wisconsin. I just don't see how we can be in a different division than ALL of our conference rivalries.. Just don't see it happening. On the other hand, having tOSU in our division carries a lot of weight.

I think you are on to something here. Moving OSU to the West would save the rivalries. Adding Michigan only creates the MSU problem.
Either OSU needs to be in the West, or you keep the geographic boundries with IA, Wisc, Neb.

Notre dame is the game changer. A geographic split in this case works perfectly with ND, Neb, IA, Wisc, MN, Ill, NW
OSU,UM, MSU, PSU, Purdue IU, and a new eastern team.

There are pros and cons for Iowa to be in the east rather than the west. One big con is that none of Iowa's natural rivals are in the east. I do not consider Illinois a rival. Hardly anyone cares that they play. Another con is amount of travel for fans and the teams. Several long trips to make. On the pro side in terms of player recruitment it might be an advantage being in the Pennsylvania and Ohio foot print.

Who wins? If it the criteria is balance, protecting rivalries and honoring geography then Iowa. If it comes down to Wisconsin being an older member of the conference then Wisconsin.

Iowa in the East feels so weird. They should be in the west with Nebby but every scenario has negative repercussions (sp).

. I do not consider Illinois a rival. Hardly anyone cares that they play

This is 100% false. About 30% of the fan base consider Illinois a bigger rivalry than MN or Wisc.

West:
Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Minnesota

East:
OSU
PSU
Mich
MSU
Indiana
Purdue

That is it... easy... we need to stop looking at who was good 20 years ago in deciding Divisions. Times have changed. Rivalries aren't as big of Paydays as they used to be and are gettign old. They get hyped up for nothing anymore. A Conf Championship is going to be huge. If anything based on the past 10 years you could argue the West is the much stronger division if set up this way.

It was very apparent during B10 media days and even before that Alverez had accepted a role as a B10 representative. Not that all AD's aren't to some degree, but Alverez was certainly more in the front and answering more questions.

I think he has Delaney's ear right now. Much more so than Barta. No different than politics.

I think Wisconsin gets what they want on this one.

Also, when Kirk was asked specifics on the divisions, he made it very apparent that it did not matter one bit to him where we ended up.

I wonder how much input our new neighbors will have in this. If they have input, and if the prospect of a budding rivalry is part of the discussion, Nebby will likely lobby for Iowa.
Wisky and Nebby have met only 5 times, with the 'Huskers winning three of those games. The last meeting of the two teams was in 1974.
Iowa and Nebby have played 41 times, with the 'Huskers winning 26 of those meetings. The last game played was 2000.
FWIW, Minnesota has tangled with the 'Huskers 51 times, with Minny holding a 29-20-2 edge. Last meeting was 1990.
Only two other Big 10 schools have played the Huskers 10 times or more - Penn State (13 meetings) and Indianna (17 meetings)

Latest posts