Who else is stoked that the Big 12 is staying together?

busabus114

I was against the "mega conferences" from the start and if the Big 12 stays together it looks like the mega conference scenario will be avoided. I know many wanted it to happen because they wanted to laugh at ISU but this result is much better for Iowa and college athletics. Mega conferences couldve been a huge disaster

The Big Ten added a great football school, a championship game and as a bonus for Iowa another border rival. All of this without having to sell out and add random schools out East.

I know a lot of people on this board were rooting for the demise of the Big 12 and ISU but i think there is no doubt that this scenario is better for everyone.

I agree. I don't want to see the mega conferences and hope it stops where it's at. As much as I dislike Nebraska, it will definitely make for an exciting rivalry and makes the Big 10 stronger overall.

That being said, I have a hard time believing it's over.

Busabus, I couldn't agree more. There's nothing written in the laws of nature that says college football will always be popular. You start taking away what makes it special, especially traditional rivalries, and the next thing you know you're fighting for survival. Kind of like the Big 12.

Good for the remaining teams in the Big 12. But, I'm not sure how long it will last. This could be a temporary thing if the money does not work out for the southern schools.

Olivecourt, are you saying you would have preferred Nebraska stay in the Big 12 to maintain the traditional rivalries it already had, particularly with Oklahoma?

I am happy for this. Of course, only for the former Big 8 schools. the way I read this new "TV deal" it seems as though it was talked about and agreed upon prior to CU and NU leaving the conference. will they still get that much money a piece? I think it's all fuzzy math at this point. and still seems to be a short term fix for the massive problem that is the Big XII. The only winner in all of this is once again UT ... This also probably slams the door shut on ND coming to the Big Ten =(

I truly believe the Big Ten is the right place for Nebraska even with the Big XII sticking together. We wanted long term stability and that is what we have with the Big Ten.

Great traditions and schools will be missed but this feels so much better then anything we ever had with the Big XII.

Olivecourt, are you saying you would have preferred Nebraska stay in the Big 12 to maintain the traditional rivalries it already had, particularly with Oklahoma?

Swirlin, Nebraska already trashed their rivalry with Oklahoma when the Big 8 over-expanded... 15 years later, and only six of those eight remain. I don't think it's a coincidence. Good cautionary tale for those that want the Big 10 to go from 11 to 16.

I agree with you Bus. I was not all for a Mega conference. I like the addition of Nebraska and think we should stay at 12. Screw ND. I am happy that the Big 12 is staying together not for ISUcks sake, but rather for a better more cohesive and competetive Big 10. 12 teams is just right and allows for a Chapionship Game which will be great for the Big 10. Any bigger than that and it starts to get too big.

I am disappointed if it is the end of the mega-conferences because it was the clearest path for a playoff. That was why I was for them in the first place. I would like to see CFB crown a champion on the field. 4 conference championship games leading to 2 BCS games and a +1 could have equaled that.

I echo your sentiment. I wanted ND only,but Neb only is fine.
I also agree with the thought that 16 is too big. With the Pac-16 (which I thought was going to be a disaster) dying on the vine, now there is no pressure on the Big Ten to leap into anything. I see a pause for this year on all fronts. Then,maybe next year, possibly ND coming around,which would mean 1 more...14 is tops,imo.

I have no love for ISU but did not want them to go down this way. Maybe that extra cash can relieve the state of Iowa taxpayers from bailing them out? If so, that is a benefit.

I was against the "mega conferences" from the start and if the Big 12 stays together it looks like the mega conference scenario will be avoided. I know many wanted it to happen because they wanted to laugh at ISU but this result is much better for Iowa and college athletics. Mega conferences couldve been a huge disaster

The Big Ten added a great football school, a championship game and as a bonus for Iowa another border rival. All of this without having to sell out and add random schools out East.

I know a lot of people on this board were rooting for the demise of the Big 12 and ISU but i think there is no doubt that this scenario is better for everyone.

Couldn't have said it better. And that's not something I often say. ;)

A healthy Iowa - ISU rivalry is a good thing. It really is. I hated the whole mega conference attitude and am glad it didn't pan out. Regardless of how it affected ISU.

Latest posts