Who Do We Most Need to Be Successful This Season?

wundergrape

I'll start: Dominic Alvis.

First off, the guy is a manimal. At 6'4", 265 he's the only guy on the outside who could be said to have "pro size." (Note for visual documentation of this, click on this link, and go to photo #13)

Second, if he can apply even a bit of pressure - and through nine games last year, it seemed that he could - it immediately takes the pressure off our interior linemen and linebacking corps. This in turn frees up Tanner Miller and Nico Law to hang back in coverage and knock some blocks off.

Third, if by October, we have just one of our d-linemen drawing double-teams, we could be a very formidable defense indeed. Since we now have a coordinator who doesn't think "blitz" is a four letter word, offenses who key on Alvis allow us to bring a corner or safety from the opposite side if needed. More game changing plays, as they're referred to around here.

A dominant Alvis gives us options, basically. As it is, our hands are tied on defense. Linebackers have to stay home. Safeties have to key against the run. Blitzing is risky. With aggressive end play, a lot of those walls collapse.

Definitely someone on the DL. If one of them can have a monster year it would really make this defense formidable.

i'm of the opinion that interior DL play will be more important, as we rarely give our DE's the green light to rush anyway. but, all said, we need that whole line to step up for sure.

I think if KMM steps up and progresses bigtime at WR... the Iowa passing game could be VERY difficult to stop.

You already have outstanding OL, QB, and TE.

CJF. We haven't had SOLID TE play in some time....
It would make things tremendously better for the running and receiving game.

All wrong... CJF was the closest by role. JVB was the closest guess by proximity.

J. Ferentz. He has to lead by example. When he and his lil' buddies start pulverizing some hawk bait, the rest will be gravy.

Greg Garmon. Bullock isn't going to cut it, and I'm gonna assume Barkley Hill is as good as dead by now, so we have no real running game. If Garmon can perform well, it frees up the entire offense.

Latest posts