Who bodies up the opponent's bruising big man next year?

I wonder about the lifting program for the Hawks. Iowa players don't seem to get much stronger/bigger during their time at Iowa. Maybe it's the type of recruits the staff brings in [slender guys staying thin].

I wonder about the lifting program for the Hawks. Iowa players don't seem to get much stronger/bigger during their time at Iowa. Maybe it's the type of recruits the staff brings in [slender guys staying thin].

I disagree, Gesell has gotten noticeable bigger as far as added muscle and look at where Gabe started and finished. White as well, came in pretty skinny. Woody is considerably bulkier than he was too. Uthoff aint ever putting on any weight, so save your breath. I would say ALL of our guys look a lot bigger and stronger than when they arrived in IC.... I think you don't notice unless you really take a look.

But when the hedge works (which is most of the time) it really disrupts the opponent's offense. So are they really unnecessary fouls?

Valid point, some of that is the price you pay, but I still think there are times where he gets carried away trying to ride the ballhandler when it's past time to leave and recover to his man.

Hes going ing to have to be smarter about that.

I disagree, Gesell has gotten noticeable bigger as far as added muscle and look at where Gabe started and finished. White as well, came in pretty skinny. Woody is considerably bulkier than he was too. Uthoff aint ever putting on any weight, so save your breath. I would say ALL of our guys look a lot bigger and stronger than when they arrived in IC.... I think you don't notice unless you really take a look.

They have gotten stronger but they aren't trying to get big.

When Fran got here Gattens and May were both very muscular and he had them slim down quite a bit.

Valid point, some of that is the price you pay, but I still think there are times where he gets carried away trying to ride the ballhandler when it's past time to leave and recover to his man.

Or when he sticks his leg out like he's trying to trip the guy.

True. But no matter what they have Woody do on defense, or any other player for that matter, he's going to make occasional mental mistakes. The only difference is how blatantly obvious they are when he makes mistakes hedging, due to where he's at on the court.

Lickliter wanted the players to be more muscular, but I think Fran wants them to be strong and quick. Getting rebounds is a lot about quickness and having that extra effort. The recruits coming in are all big enough to contend against six foot nine or six foot ten guys. Once they learn the system, they should be turning the other teams over a lot. Its possible the incoming freshmen won't grow anymore, but I think its probable that at least one or two of them isn't finished growing.

We've had to hedge in the past because our guards were bad at getting through screens quickly. With some bigger, more athletic guards in this class maybe the coach's will take another look at this strategy.

I'm betting the hedge has way more to do with slowing dribble penetration and slowing ball reversals, both of which keep the ball out of the lane. If you can't move the ball East-West with speed in basketball, you don't have offensive rhythm. It's simple, Fran is not hedging because that's what he has to do with the guys he has. It's his style defensively, at least with centers. When this team turns into 3-4 guys that are interchangeable watch the switching and confusion begin!

I'm betting the hedge has way more to do with slowing dribble penetration and slowing ball reversals, both of which keep the ball out of the lane. If you can't move the ball East-West with speed in basketball, you don't have offensive rhythm. It's simple, Fran is not hedging because that's what he has to do with the guys he has. It's his style defensively, at least with centers. When this team turns into 3-4 guys that are interchangeable watch the switching and confusion begin!

The reason you have your big as the high screener is so you can't switch it.

I don't care how versatile your lineup is you're not going to have guys that can guard a pg and center and vice versa.

We've had to hedge in the past because our guards were bad at getting through screens quickly. With some bigger, more athletic guards in this class maybe the coach's will take another look at this strategy.

No. Since Fran has been here, we have hedged on picks set on the ball. It's just that now most opponents put their center at the top of the key to set the pick whereas before they used a small forward or the other guard.

They have gotten stronger but they aren't trying to get big.

When Fran got here Gattens and May were both very muscular and he had them slim down quite a bit.

True. When you add bulk you lose range of motion. You also weigh yourself down. Yes, you can "power up" the shot when someone really hammers you. But to bulk up for only those shots and lose your range of motion and likely change your shooting motion due to the extra bulk in your shoulders and arms, you lose your shooting touch.

True. When you add bulk you lose range of motion. You also weigh yourself down. Yes, you can "power up" the shot when someone really hammers you. But to bulk up for only those shots and lose your range of motion and likely change your shooting motion due to the extra bulk in your shoulders and arms, you lose your shooting touch.

Basebe was a perfect example of this point. He looked really good his freshman year and then they bulked him up and he seemed to lose his shooting touch and quickness. Then Fran had him slim up again which made him much more affective. He was not a superstar but his game was clearly much better after he slimmed down again.

Basebe was a perfect example of this point. He looked really good his freshman year and then they bulked him up and he seemed to lose his shooting touch and quickness. Then Fran had him slim up again which made him much more affective. He was not a superstar but his game was clearly much better after he slimmed down again.

I never really bought that excuse.

Teams figured out to double him on the post and he couldn't or wouldn't pass out of it. He was so bad at passing out of doubles that he was never looked at as an offensive option again.

Many expected McCaffery to sign a backup center with his last scholarship. He opted for Jones instead.

"We looked at some," McCaffery said. "We decided to go with the best player available. If you get locked into getting a position, you miss on an opportunity."

A backup post is not necessary, McCaffery said, "if you're long. You give up two inches here, but you can make up two inches at another position."

When Woodbury goes to the bench next season, McCaffery said he'll go with three forwards. So that's how he plans to play.

Many expected McCaffery to sign a backup center with his last scholarship. He opted for Jones instead.

"We looked at some," McCaffery said. "We decided to go with the best player available. If you get locked into getting a position, you miss on an opportunity."

A backup post is not necessary, McCaffery said, "if you're long. You give up two inches here, but you can make up two inches at another position."

When Woodbury goes to the bench next season, McCaffery said he'll go with three forwards. So that's how he plans to play.

Which means some of the big loads around the NCAA will run right through and over Iowa's front court, just like they did last year.

Which means some of the big loads around the NCAA will run right through and over Iowa's front court, just like they did last year.

Yep. And the Iowa front court will dunk on the other end before the big loads get back on defense just like this year.

The-Incredible-Hulk-TV-Show-Writer.jpg

With Jones, we could still go JU: 6-9, Uhl: 6-9 and Jones: 6-8 and Wagner: 6-7 with Woody on the bench. We'll be playing a lot of zone. It is the 2016 season that will be our ultimate worry in the post if Fran can't bring in a couple of FR post players.

And these big loads are going to struggle guarding Uthoff, Uhl and Jones on the perimeter.

Latest posts