Who becomes the Break away Reciever for IA

Foval21

After watching the Missouri game and seeing Stanzi's struggles I think what Iowa needs most next year is a WR or TE that can get open on their own without play action. McNutt is a very good receiver but he doesn't have the speed or route running to get himself open on any play. Say what you want about DJK, but up until the second half of this year that is what he could do. I am not sure Keenan Davis has this ability. Maybe CJ can from the TE spot. Iowa will face a lot of man coverage next year with loaded boxes because of the OL and Coker. So someone will have to be able to separate on a regular basis. Possibilities could be @ WR: McNutt (top returning receiver but unlikely to become a separator), Davis (supposedly has good rapport with JVB but hasn't shown much yet), Martin-Manley (HS tapes make me think he may be the guy), Cotton (size looks good, don't know how his speed will translate), Marcus Grant (recruit), Jacob Hillyer (recruit), Austin Vincent (recruit), @ TE: CJ (speed for a TE is great and height will work well for him, my number two pick here), Not sure many other TEs could do this like Moeaki or Clark in past seasons. Reisner could do this but his drops in the Missouri game were big. What is everyone's thoughts? For some reason my money is on Martin-Manley.

I think CJ will be a great match up for us against safety or LB. He will extend the middle of the field. Marvin will get open more if he is back. I think I would go with Shumpert or Martin-Manley as the deep guy. I also think that Keenan Davis becomes a very good mid level guy.

i agree McNutt looked like he was very challenged at the line against press coverage. Most big ten defenses do not play press man coverage. Nebby will be a challenge as they pres 100% of the time.

It's McNutt and Iowa will be more dynamic with Vandenberg at QB and Coker at RB with the offensive line that is returning. Run heavy, pass when needed and I do think CJ will get a ton of balls, if he is as advertised he will create a lot of match-ups in Iowa's favor. People may have missed by a year on how good Iowa was going to be, yes they lose a lot on defense, but if Norm is back full-time don't expect much of a drop off and if Prater returns the secondary will be fine because Hyde has loads of potential.

Without McNutt...the answer is that nobody does. Iowa will use the short passing game and its TE's to spread things out a bit, and will pound the ball with Coker. And play good defense. That's how they roll...and the Hawks are very good at it. But without McNutt, there will be no deep threat.

1. McNutt if he comes back
2. Keenan Davis
3. Kavante Martin-Manley
4. CJ Fedororwitz (SP)

Those will be the top four targets next year....

Lost in all of this discussion is the assumption that Coker will be healthy next season. I'm just saying . . .

I'm not sure any of our receivers have "break away" speed, but CJF should be the new name to talk about after games next year.

Don't sleep on Don Shumpert. But if I was taking a guess based on who we have and what it will take to become a standout guy, my honest-to-goodness guess is new recruit Jacob Hillyer. His numbers in HS were completely outrageous (2700 yards and 26 TDs between his junior and senior seasons), he has impressive size at 6-4 190, and he was clearly THE playmaker on his team (18 catches in the first half of his homecoming game, left at half and was named homecoming king). McNutt will draw a lot of attention this year and we'll have big targets in CJF, Herman, and Coe. Without the fanfare, Hillyer will fly under the radar and should really be able to take off if given the opportunity.

I know a lot of people expect him to redshirt, but when he committed he gave the standard line that the coaches have told him he can come in and play right away if he works hard. Hillyer's coach said he'll play on Sundays one day and is an incredibly hard worker. Given the recent tendency to play true freshmen, I can really see him becoming a huge sensation as a true freshman.

Don't sleep on Don Shumpert. But if I was taking a guess based on who we have and what it will take to become a standout guy, my honest-to-goodness guess is new recruit Jacob Hillyer. His numbers in HS were completely outrageous (2700 yards and 26 TDs between his junior and senior seasons), he has impressive size at 6-4 190, and he was clearly THE playmaker on his team (18 catches in the first half of his homecoming game, left at half and was named homecoming king). McNutt will draw a lot of attention this year and we'll have big targets in CJF, Herman, and Coe. Without the fanfare, Hillyer will fly under the radar and should really be able to take off if given the opportunity.

I know a lot of people expect him to redshirt, but when he committed he gave the standard line that the coaches have told him he can come in and play right away if he works hard. Hillyer's coach said he'll play on Sundays one day and is an incredibly hard worker. Given the recent tendency to play true freshmen, I can really see him becoming a huge sensation as a true freshman.

I'm only guessing, but seeing his size and stats, as well as lack of major offers, I'm guessing his "flaw" is lack of top-end speed. I can't imagine a kid with that frame, those numbers, and 4.4 speed, in Texas, getting overlooked. Certainly he can be an excellent player for us. But perhaps not as a breakaway threat.

Latest posts