Whitlock: Expose the NCAA, Not Athletes

That is one stupid article. So this joker thinks we should just open up the check books and let these guys get the money. I rarely agree with Colin Cowherd, but yesterday he really went off on this. Surprisingly he is NOT in favor of paying athletes. As he pointed out, they are already getting paid. And it's alot of money that they are getting paid.

First, athletes CAN get a good education. If they don't know how to take advantage of it then that's their problem.

Second, if you just open up the checkbooks then the rich will just get richer. Schools like Iowa and ISU can't compete with the big boys.

Third, what's unusual about the compny (ie school) getting rich off the workers. Last I looked the company made alot more money than I do. The worker doesn't reap the rewards of his work. The company does. At least that's the way it is in the real world.

Fourth, the NCAA does have alot of rules, but they are all there for a reason. They try, maybe not succesfully, to keep things even for everybody. If the author of that article had his way then the big boys would never stumble.

Finally, most athletes DO get and use their education. This idiot makes it sound like none of the athletes are smart enough to realize what a good deal they get. Guys like Bush do not represent the typical athlete. He's a crook. He took money that he knew he wasn't suppose to. He is just another me first jerk.

Whitlock is a windbag. I always feel like every article he writes he is just stumping to get a TV show. He sees everything in black and white and his hypocrisy in that regard really makes me not enjoy his work.

Thought it was interesting that he wrote this so soon after lambasting Jesse Jackson regarding his somewhat similar comments about Lebron and the Cavaliers owner. Guess it's okay for Whitlock to play the race card but not Jesse.

As for his argument; why didn't he mention Title IX? Apparently he wants to stir the pot but doesn't have the ballz to do it right.

Oh and by the way, it's been a long time since I've seen Roots but I don't remember Kunta Kinte being a millionaire or shagging Kim Kardashian. I'm all for holding the coaches responsible but Reggie knew that what he was doing was wrong. It's not like he only got a free pair of sneaks.

Reggie Bush was wrong about what he did, of course. But look deeper at some of the leadership in college athletics that is corrupt. One point that Whitlock makes that is important is that the responsibility should be in the hands of those with power. I don't think for a minute that "coaches" like John Calipari, Nick Saban, Tim Floyd, Lane Kiffen, Pete Carroll and others "care" about their players beyond their "eligibility." They say they care, but I don't believe them. The graduation rates in many major college athletic programs are a joke. You rarely hear fans complaining about graduation rates because fans usually just care about winning and tailgating.

I don't think the goals of higher education and major college athletics match up that well. Because there is a premium on winning, not integrity, many coaches, who should be the moral compass, are skirting the rules. Not all coaches cheat, of course, but many do. Because coaches must win, many selectively ignore obvious violations. If a coach was truly scrupulous, he would not recruit a kid that he knew would not have an interest in completing his degree. That is why John Calipari is a joke, and the guy got keeps getting better jobs. Look at what Calipari got away with, and he pleaded ignorance in the whole Derrick Rose ordeal! Coaches like Pete Carroll are more at fault than a guy like Reggie Bush, and Pete Carroll could get a college job tomorrow. Oh, but Carroll didn't know about Bush's violations! Wink, wink!

I also give the quotes of the former president of the NCAA some credibility. Did you notice "how long" that guy was in office?

Title IX was mentioned in Whitlock's article, if you read this portion of the article:
"The NCAA takes most of the money generated by football and men’s basketball and invests it in welfare sports that don’t generate a dollar and are played mostly by kids who have nothing in common with the football and basketball players who produced the revenue."

Is there hypocrisy in college sports? Certainly, but you can't read the news and not see hypocrisy each day. The phrase student-athlete could easily be written athlete-student. Is hypocrisy a reason to say that those young men playing college football and basketball are being exploited? I do not think that you can.

If you want to go looking for exploitation on college campuses maybe the place to start is in the admissions offices. Does anyone realize the competition for students with high college entrance scores? The more we can get on campus the more academic acclaim for the college. The more acclaim for our "scholars" the more money the faculty can demand for teaching at such a robust institution. God forbid that high scorer fail to keep a 3.25 GPA or no more scholly money for him or her.

I won't even talk much about the sexual exploitation that happens on campuses other than to say if you are willing to put out, you can get a better than passing grade. Or you write a paper or an answer that you know will please the left thinking nut doing the teaching and giving the grade.

So if we want to exploit some kids athletic talent for the glory of old State U in exchange for paying the cost of his or her education and much of the expenses that is wrong? I'll live with the hypocrisy knowing that kid was probably treated better than students recruited for only their brain.

Latest posts