Which team joining the Big 10 helps Iowa out the most.

Which team joining the Big 10 helps Iowa out the most.

• Iowa State

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Nebraska

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Missouri

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Texas

Votes: 19 21.1%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 26 28.9%
  • Pittsburgh

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Syracuse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Connecticut

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Rutgers

• Boston College

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Texas A&M

• Kentucky

• Total voters
My point is that it's hard enough to make the Rose Bowl for us the way it is now. Adding Texas only lessens our chances further. And as we appear to be elevating the program, we could be fairly regular Rose Bowl contenders in the years to come. Adding Texas considerably lowers those prospects. Because what happens when we have to play Michigan (once they bounce back), Texas, and Penn State during the regular season, then if we make it through that gauntlet have to play OSU for the conference title? The odds of making it through that kind of schedule would be VERY long, even for our best teams. I don't much like the idea of needing to beat Texas and OSU to win the Big Ten, plus PSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin. That'd be a little too much to ask, IMO.

I agree, if you go undefeated in the B10 as it is now you have a great shot at the NTG. I would think bringing in a lesser team would be a bigger advantage.

And as far as opening recruiting doors goes......really? Adding Texas doesn't do much for our recruiting at all. The elite players in Texas? They will go to Texas or Oklahoma everytime. If they were to come to a Big Ten school, it's going to be OSU or Michigan. They wouldn't come to Iowa. We would get the guys that Texas and OU turned away. That's not to say those kids can't play. But they are the second tier in Texas HS football. And we already get that the way it is, so what do we really gain in recruiting?

My point is that it's hard enough to make the Rose Bowl for us the way it is now. Adding Texas only lessens our chances further. And as we appear to be elevating the program, we could be fairly regular Rose Bowl contenders in the years to come. Adding Texas considerably lowers those prospects. Because what happens when we have to play Michigan (once they bounce back), Texas, and Penn State during the regular season, then if we make it through that gauntlet have to play OSU for the conference title? The odds of making it through that kind of schedule would be VERY long, even for our best teams. I don't much like the idea of needing to beat Texas and OSU to win the Big Ten, plus PSU, Michigan, and Wisconsin. That'd be a little too much to ask, IMO.

How many big wins has Iowa had over Penn State since they joined the conference? At that time you could make the exact same argument that Penn St was going to make it much harder to get to the Rose Bowl or win the B10. But now Iowa has pretty much dominated Penn St this decade, I don't think many people would have expected that when they first joined the conference.

It's not about the competition on the football field, it's about tv ad revenue and research grants.

We need research universities in or near major metropolitan areas (with football teams that we can beat): Rutgers, Missouri, BC, Maryland.

How many big wins has Iowa had over Penn State since they joined the conference? At that time you could make the exact same argument that Penn St was going to make it much harder to get to the Rose Bowl or win the B10. But now Iowa has pretty much dominated Penn St this decade, I don't think many people would have expected that when they first joined the conference.

Things can change very easily and very quickly. Just because we've won 7 of 8 does not mean that is a trend that will continue forever. I would feel pretty disappointed if the schedule came out and we played Texas and PSU back to back, with PSU on the road. That's why the schedule I laid out would be considered a gauntlet. Just too many good to great teams to expect a Rose Bowl berth.

Things can change very easily and very quickly. Just because we've won 7 of 8 does not mean that is a trend that will continue forever. I would feel pretty disappointed if the schedule came out and we played Texas and PSU back to back, with PSU on the road. That's why the schedule I laid out would be considered a gauntlet. Just too many good to great teams to expect a Rose Bowl berth.

Texas was very average in the 80's and most of the 90's, when Mack Brown leaves they could slip back down too. And we wouldn't be playing that schedule every year, yes if we get a schedule with OSU, Michigan, Penn St, Texas and Wisconsin on it we probably wouldn't make the Rose Bowl. But we haven't been for almost 20 years so it wouldn't really change much.

Texas was very average in the 80's and most of the 90's, when Mack Brown leaves they could slip back down too. And we wouldn't be playing that schedule every year, yes if we get a schedule with OSU, Michigan, Penn St, Texas and Wisconsin on it we probably wouldn't make the Rose Bowl. But we haven't been for almost 20 years so it wouldn't really change much.

But if we were to draw that kind of schedule, even our best teams would be extremely fortunate to make it to Pasadena. Right now, our best teams have legitimate shots at that.

Nebraska, the chance to beat those jokers every year is priceless. This natural rivalry is long over due and would become a trophy game, and as we all know every conference game needs a trophy. The battle for a giant golden corn stalk we become an all out fight of two triditional midwest teams and show the rest of the country how football is ment to be played.

Odds heavily favor the Big 10 going to 16 teams. Therefore we would not be in the same division as Penn St, Mich, OSU, etc. in this scenario. Assume we add Texas, Nebraska, Missouri, Rutgers, Pitt, the divisions would stack up as:

East
OSU
Michigan
Penn State
Rutgers
Pitt
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue

West
Texas
Iowa
Nebraska
Missouri
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Illinois
Northwestern

That gives us 7 in division games each year. Assume 2 cross-over games and 3 out of conference games. We're not going to be playing Texas, Michigan, Penn State, Wisconsin and OSU year in and year out.

And as far as opening recruiting doors goes......really? Adding Texas doesn't do much for our recruiting at all. The elite players in Texas? They will go to Texas or Oklahoma everytime. If they were to come to a Big Ten school, it's going to be OSU or Michigan. They wouldn't come to Iowa. We would get the guys that Texas and OU turned away. That's not to say those kids can't play. But they are the second tier in Texas HS football. And we already get that the way it is, so what do we really gain in recruiting?
You don't think Iowa will be more attractive to Texas kids and their parents who can watch them play Texas every year and see all their games on the Big 10 network??? It's definitely an improvement from where we stand currently.

You don't think Iowa will be more attractive to Texas kids and their parents who can watch them play Texas every year and see all their games on the Big 10 network??? It's definitely an improvement from where we stand currently.

It won't really open doors. Like I said, the best Texas HS players will go to Texas and OU. Ohio State is the only Big Ten school that can compete at all for those players (currently, Michigan will if/when they bounce back). Oklahoma State, A&M, Iowa, and any other school that dips into that deep well gets what Texas and OU didn't want. That's not going to change just because we play Texas every year. And you forget, that to add Texas, we'll have to bring in A&M as well. If we don't, then a good portion of Texas' appeal goes away, because the state will be furious is Texas bolts and ditches A&M.

Latest posts