Which game is toughest

4thngoal

It's way to early to predict w/l for the season, but we are starting to see some pieces from the Hawks and everyone else fall into place.
With that said what game do you think we have the hardest time with?

Gunna be a tough year on the road - take your pick; IA State, Michigan, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Nebraska. I see the Iowa State game and the Nebraska game being very tough for us. Michigan then Wisconsin. Should be able to beat Northwestern for a change but who the heck knows...................

Iowa's entire road schedule is brutal. Some preseason top 25 rankings I've seen have all 5 of Iowa's road opponents ranked

Iowa's entire road schedule is brutal. Some preseason top 25 rankings I've seen have all 5 of Iowa's road opponents ranked

I have seen their SOS ranked the 10th toughest for next year. 2020 won't be much different with cross-overs of MSU, @OSU, and @PSU.

I have a hard time believing anything that has Nebraska ranked. Based on what? I'm not saying they can't be by the time we play them, but anything or anyone who says they are ranked preseason???

I have a hard time believing anything that has Nebraska ranked. Based on what? I'm not saying they can't be by the time we play them, but anything or anyone who says they are ranked preseason???

I agree, but they do have a stud QB, Scott Frost, and a Running back going to prison.

In 1990 we played, and defeated, Michigan, Michigan State and Illinois on the road, and played traditional rivals Iowa State and Minnesota on the road as well. None of this stopped us from going to the Rose Bowl, which in 1990 was the goal of every B1G team.

It's a tough schedule, but certainly doable.
To be the best you have to beat the best.
If Iowa rises to the occasion and has another 2009 type season then the critics and the committee will have to come up with some real "out there" reasons to keep the Hawks out of the playoff. The PSU, MSU and Wisconsin wins that year would be considered real "resume builders" today.

I think the "resume" games are IA State (unbelievable as it is), Michigan and Wisconsin. Nebby is a stretch and who really knows what is going on in Fitzgerald land. PSU @ home might be a good one on the resume also.

If Iowa rises to the occasion and has another 2009 type season then the critics and the committee will have to come up with some real "out there" reasons to keep the Hawks out of the playoff. The PSU, MSU and Wisconsin wins that year would be considered real "resume builders" today.

I think the "resume" games are IA State (unbelievable as it is), Michigan and Wisconsin. Nebby is a stretch and who really knows what is going on in Fitzgerald land. PSU @ home might be a good one on the resume also.

I agree, itsi a great opportunity. It's the best resume we are going to get. It should be a pretty highly ranked sos.

Last edited:
In 2015, Iowa won tough road games @Wisc and @NW, who both finished in the top 25.

Of course in 2015, Iowa never played OSU, Mich, PSU and only played MSU because they ended up meeting in the CCG.

In 1990 we played, and defeated, Michigan, Michigan State and Illinois on the road, and played traditional rivals Iowa State and Minnesota on the road as well. None of this stopped us from going to the Rose Bowl, which in 1990 was the goal of every B1G team.

Each of the following great seasons for Iowa included their toughest games on the road

1990 - the teams you mentioned (minus ISU... I remember that game being in Kinnick, even numbered years are in IC)
2002 - Penn St, Michigan
2009 - Penn St, Wisconsin
2015 - Wisconsin, NW, Nebraska,

Hell the only time Iowa has really taken advantage of a good home schedule is 2004

Many times (1996, 2014, 2016, & 2018) Iowa has been unable to take advantage of a good home schedule.

Each of the following great seasons for Iowa included their toughest games on the road

1990 - the teams you mentioned (minus ISU... I remember that game being in Kinnick, even numbered years are in IC)
2002 - Penn St, Michigan
2009 - Penn St, Wisconsin
2015 - Wisconsin, NW, Nebraska,

Hell the only time Iowa has really taken advantage of a good home schedule is 2004

Many times (1996, 2014, 2016, & 2018) Iowa has been unable to take advantage of a good home schedule.
2009 also featured Stanzi to McNutt on the last play of the game at MSU. And we would have won at Ohio State with a backup freshman QB if not for a dropped TD pass and a missed field goal.

You're correct about 1990 being an even numbered year. We would have played Iowa State in Kinnick that year.