Which Ferentz QB if drive needed to win the game

Which Ferentz QB if drive needed to win the game you most confident in

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Are we talking which QB with the same set of receivers? Makes a difference.

If it's the same set of receivers for all QBs then Beathard or Stanzi almost equally, slight edge to Beathard.
This was my question and (contingent) answer exactly.

I mean, if the 2002 offense comes in a package deal with Banks, then I'd take him.

But if it's this year's offense, to me it's gotta be Beathard 1, Stanzi 1A. Those are the two Ferentz era QBs that I have seen with the ability to make consistent "next level" throws to get balls in the hands of WRs with little to no separation.

I think Stanzi had the "It" factor.....just his 2010 team imploded. So, I voted Stanzi.

But, I feel bad about that as talented as Brad Banks was for us.

Iowa has had very good - though definitely not what you might call "elite" - QB talent over the KF era. Good recruiting, good coaching, and a bit of luck.

If all you knew about football came from hanging out on HN, you might have a different impression, but the reality is the QB position has been a relative strength for Iowa. Petras is showing me some really positive signs of continuing that trend.

OK4P said it the other day, but I really think it bears repeating: your average Hawk fan has no idea how, on the whole, shoddy QB play is across the FBS level. That's a big reason behind the spread offense explosion of the mid to late 2000s. Before that, it was a big reason behind why you saw so many teams running option offenses.

Running a pro style offense at the college level takes some really competent QB play. By and large, Iowa's had that going for them. It seems to me a lot of fans don't recognize it for the accomplishment it is because they expect these guys to be making consistent "next level" throws and reads down after down. It's just not realistic. Just not making huge F ups is a bar most college QBs in pro style systems are unable to clear.

Obviously, the poll is just for fun. Just remember, so is the post I'm about to make.

A lot of people taking Banks. I assume they are also visualizing taking the 2002 offense along with him. That is fine and, if that is what they are picturing, I also have a hard time arguing against them. Banks was a great Hawk and that 2002 season may be my all time favorite sports memory. But, as far as being a pure QB goes, Banks is not particularly high on my personal best Ferentz QBs list.

Consider for a moment the 2001 season. That 2001 team is a candidate for "Best KF Team with Worst Record" (or something along those lines).

7-5, 4-4 in the Big Ten. Definitely a turnaround year for the program, as they previous two years had not been kind to us. 2000, we definitely showed some promising signs of life but, ultimately, did not get the on field results.

That 2001 team had the much-hated Kyle McCann at QB for almost 80% of the pass attempts for the year (with Banks filling in the remaining 20%).

That team led the Big Ten in scoring (32.6 ppg!!!) and was also 3rd in scoring defense at 21.5 ppg. We did run it up on a couple MAC teams that pre-season (51-0 against Kent State and then 44-19 against Miami of Ohio)...but, still, an +11.1 scoring differential? That's pretty good. For reference, Illinois won the Big Ten that year with a +8.7 scoring differential.

When you look at the game by game results, it gets even more shocking. Having watched all of these games live, I can attest to most of them being every bit as close as they look. Take a look at our losses that year:

@ #21 Purdue - 14-23
@ Michigan St - 28-31
#8 Michigan - 26-32
@ Wisconsin - 28-34
@ ISU - 14-17

4 of our 5 losses on the road and only home loss against a very good Michigan team. Average margin is -5.4 points by my count. Wow.

My main motivation here is that this was fun and, like most old farts, I enjoy reliving the good old days. My secondary motivation though is to point out, while Banks was an exciting and dynamic playmaker, he stepped into a program that was, quietly, right on the cusp. He was no doubt a big factor in pushing us from "close, but no cigar" to "dominant", but he had a lot of help, too.

Reluctantly, since I will likely get blasted, I would trust any of these guys to have a good chance to take the team down the field for a late score and victory. Yeah. I am serious.

I think Stanzi had the "It" factor.....just his 2010 team imploded. So, I voted Stanzi.

But, I feel bad about that as talented as Brad Banks was for us.
Yes, I want 2009 stanzi, not 2010 Stanzi. 2010 Stanzi was great in first 3Q, of a game then went in a shell in 4Q.

2009 Stanzi may throw a pick-6 in the first half, but he was clutch in the 4Q.

My order of preference when game winning drive is needed.

1. CJB
2. Stanzi
3. Banks
4. Tate
5. Stanley
6. Rudock
7. McCann
8. JVB
9. Petras ( this may move up in time)

I voted Stanley because he did it several times but CJ is right there. But I only voted for them because Jake wasn't on the list and his dad's pissed.

I voted Stanley because he did it several times but CJ is right there. But I only voted for them because Jake wasn't on the list and his dad's pissed.
I will take Stanley if Iowa is playing against Nebraska, ISU, OSU, or in a bowl game.

But if Iowa is playing PSU or MSU, I will take Stanzi.

If Iowa is playing Pitt, Wisc, or Mich, I will take CJB

If I need to rally from a 27-10 deficit in the 4Q, I will take JVB.

If I need to a last second TD pass to upset LSU in a bowl game, I will take Tate.

How dare you stick Jake Christensen into “other”, but the obvious answer is Jon Beutjer.

Latest posts