Where should Iowa's scoring come from?

• Thread starter Ian Pike Hammer
  • Start date
I

Ian Pike Hammer

Where should any given, random team's scoring come from? It looked to me like last year, Garza was providing about 25% of all our offense! What about this year, where should we look? Is it ok to have only 1 guard provide scoring, while the other [the PG] runs the offense and dishes out assists and holds down turnovers? Is it ok to have only 1 forward score while the other mainly rebounds? What if your scorers are struggling? Your take?

Where should any given, random team's scoring come from? It looked to me like last year, Garza was providing about 25% of all our offense! What about this year, where should we look? Is it ok to have only 1 guard provide scoring, while the other [the PG] runs the offense and dishes out assists and holds down turnovers? Is it ok to have only 1 forward score while the other mainly rebounds? What if your scorers are struggling? Your take?

The fewer the scorers the easier to defend unless the name is Curry or Bird

The way I see it if Garza comes back we should have a minimum of 4 guys averaging double figures no question. I would like to see Garza's point average drop a little with a rebound average increase of at least 2. If Luka can average 20 and 11 we will be in good shape. The issues we can't have is Garza scoring 35 and then no one else above 10.

The more we can spread the scoring the more difficult this team will be to defend and the deeper we will go.

I thought this thread would be asking for something like this:

Garza 22
Wieskamp 15
Fredrick 11
Bohannon 10
JT 8
Nunge 8
McCaffrey 6 - take your pick which one

Murray/Murray/Ogundele/Perkins/Ulis 0.5

I would not change a damn thing regarding Garza's minutes, approach or contributions on scoring. Garza Garza Garza. Rinse wash and repeat. He should be getting 23 and 10 every night.

With a realistic expectation on how the returning starting guards will be, any double team will lead to a kick out to 3 guys shooting above 40% from 3, and one guy who I bet will be close to 35%. I believe Connor will be close to 35 from distance because he will not have to throw up so many desperation 3s at the end of the clock when the offense gets stale (JBO is great at that), and there is no way the defenders for the other three guards can leave them open to double Garza. So, I think Connor is going to have a lot of open gym 21 footers in his future next year.

This team has the chance to be sick good on offense.

I cant speak for the OP, but I think its a legit question. Last year we were like a MASH unit. Fran struggled to find 7 or 8 healthy bodies to play most nights. So, there was not much strategy to it. This year, the bench will be deep and talented, and so questions may arise as to, for instance, how hard to you ride Luka, or should be find 10 minutes for a couple of freshman guards? Nice problem to have.

Garza- 23
Wieskamp- 15
Fredrick- 11
Bohannon- 9
Toussaint- 6
C McCaffery- 6
Nunge- 6
P McCaffery- 4
Freshman- 2

That’s 82 points, and most of those numbers are pretty conservative.

Garza- 23
Wieskamp- 15
Fredrick- 11
Bohannon- 9
Toussaint- 6
C McCaffery- 6
Nunge- 6
P McCaffery- 4
Freshman- 2

That’s 82 points, and most of those numbers are pretty conservative.
I agree. I think averaging 80 points a game is absolutely realistic with those shooters and Luka. And look, while the likely starting 5 are not jaugaernots on defense (JBO and Luka being your weakest, followed by Connor playing small at the 4), our next five in would be a formidable defensive unit (Joe T, one of the freshmen guards, Patrick, Nunge and our big freshmen center). If we can get our spurts in during the starters minutes, and just hold the line during those middle stretches Fran likes to play the back-ups, this team will be hard to beat.

I agree. I think averaging 80 points a game is absolutely realistic with those shooters and Luka. And look, while the likely starting 5 are not jaugaernots on defense (JBO and Luka being your weakest, followed by Connor playing small at the 4), our next five in would be a formidable defensive unit (Joe T, one of the freshmen guards, Patrick, Nunge and our big freshmen center). If we can get our spurts in during the starters minutes, and just hold the line during those middle stretches Fran likes to play the back-ups, this team will be hard to beat.

Premature to say Ogundele will be formidable on defense. Mayb he's slow and can't move his feet. Time will tell.