Where is the disconnect?

LOL, I didnt know you wore a tinfoil hat Peoria.

Damn it Jon and Tork! Go find out teh real story inside teh football program.

You really think that if there was a story here that one of the players who were kicked off the team wouldn't have talked to someone about it.

McCall seemed to be unhappy with the way he was treated here, why didnt he let loose on KF?

The members of the media in Iowa are like sheep with KF. Really. They shouldn't be. I think it's important to be respectful, but that doesn't mean KF can avoid hard questions. He should be answering hard questions. He's not a volunteer.

I really hope KF has a great year next year, and that the hawkeyes return to winning. It's more of a hope at this point, and I really don't want to give up on this coaching staff, but it's getting tough.

When i heard the expression "move over Illinois" It was in the context of divisional reallignment in the BIG after Maryland and Rutgers. Now,after this season "move over Illinois" means that there is a new celler dweller in town.

LOL, I didnt know you wore a tinfoil hat Peoria.

Damn it Jon and Tork! Go find out teh real story inside teh football program.

You really think that if there was a story here that one of the players who were kicked off the team wouldn't have talked to someone about it.

McCall seemed to be unhappy with the way he was treated here, why didnt he let loose on KF?

I actually hate sci fi stuff excpet the SW saga and I am more just a fan and not a fanatic.

Maybe nobody is talking because nobody is asking. However if you look at DJK on LINKEDIN you will see he praisies KF. Weird.

I actually hate sci fi stuff excpet the SW saga and I am more just a fan and not a fanatic.

Maybe nobody is talking because nobody is asking. However if you look at DJK on LINKEDIN you will see he praisies KF. Weird.

I would guess DJK maybe matured a little bit and has realized that he can't do anything real in life by bashing an extremely well respected former coach or anyone for that matter, well unless he wants to go into reality TV and he wasn't that big of a star to come close to that.

Some people grow up, realize they were wrong and move on and try to be adult instead of going around blaming other for their mistakes.

Maybe Ferentz did black ball DJK from the NFL, maybe not and I highly doubt we ever do.

Funny caveat to this, is people who don't follow IA football, or live in different state than IA, STILL think KF is one of the best coaches in the world. They have NO CLUE about any of the above. Try to argue the point with them, and they call me crazy.

Kinda the same way Becky fans are happy Bert is gone because he was holding them back?

Funny caveat to this, is people who don't follow IA football, or live in different state than IA, STILL think KF is one of the best coaches in the world. They have NO CLUE about any of the above. Try to argue the point with them, and they call me crazy.

No they don't. Ferentz is none for one thing to most causual football fans and that is being grossly overpaid. Go read the comments on any national blog story featuring Ferentz.

Creepy stalker is creepy.

Abolutely do not stalk at all. I have several connections that are similar to his and if you had any clue you would know that when you open your linkedin account you get several " These are people you may know." His profile was one of them. If I was a stalker I would have tried to connect with him but I didn't because I only connect with those that would make sense to connect with from a professional level

Haha Haha Ha haaaaa. What a joke! Made me laugh.

About KF, I can't find the stats online, but I do remember very distinctly that HF had a couple of top 25 recruiting classes his last 2 years. The program really wasn't in as bad of shape as people really think. Yes, the upper classmen KF inherited were not all that strong.

But what happens to KF's record if he doesn't pick up Brad Banks (likely a player he would never now recruit or would turn into something other than qb)? Not just the Orange Bowl year, but the year before in KM qb'ed he entire season and all the snaps?

Take away the LSU Bowl win where his reputation for horrible late game management really began (e.g. as Dolph says....tired Iowa defenses and how they beat LSU was not wonderful coaching at the end) and the soon to be top 10 finishes maybe aren't as common?

What happens here forth will truly be a reflection on his coaching ability.

Does he deserve a chance? Likely

Do I think he'll be successful? I have big doubts unless he finds another Brad Banks and a Dallas Clark. Then again, would he throw to Dallas Clark in 2013?

At best I see him as 7-5 and 8-4. Really that is mediocre playing the schedule that Iowa plays. For those that think that KF runs NFL training school, if you were thinking that way as a recruit, would you want to come out of an offense that plays old school or new school? On Defense, do you think blitzes and aggressive schemes are useful?

TRANSFERS.

while I agree with the concerns the OP lists, I can't think of anyone who transferred out and went on to great success at another school (James Cleveland had good numbers at Houston and Jewell Hampton at IL St). Who else did anything?

It feels like most left because they fell into one of these categories a) weren't talented enough for B1G b) couldn't hack college football in general c) academics d) getting into trouble e) playing time

Plus, if there was a story, at least one of these kids would have thrown the program under the bus by now. Most had polite or complimentary comments about Iowa, even the most recent transfer Garmon. Rob Howe or someone usually gets some parting quotes from these guys.

Last edited:
About KF, I can't find the stats online, but I do remember very distinctly that HF had a couple of top 25 recruiting classes his last 2 years. The program really wasn't in as bad of shape as people really think. Yes, the upper classmen KF inherited were not all that strong.

I don't know how Hayden's last 2 classes ranked, but they are always mentioned as being poor and we struggled to sign top recruits - lots of negative recruiting against Hayden regarding him retiring. I can't dispute or refute that notion. I found the 1999 roster on line and I don't recognize many guys who would have been highly sought after.

Here is the list of FR, RSFR from 1999 roster:
2 Tony Burrier WR 4-Jun 195 Fr Iowa City, IA
3 AJ Bogan DB 11-May 180 Fr Flint, MI
4 Scott Boleyn DB 11-May 185 Fr Dubuque, IA
5 Derek Pagel DB 2-Jun 185 Fr Plainfield, IA
6 Ryan Molinaro DB Jun-00 185 Fr Delran, NJ
8 David Raih QB 5-Jun 200 Fr Edina, MN
9 Jim Kopriva WR 2-Jun 195 Fr Edina, MN
10 Tim Hoffman WR Jun-00 170 Fr West Burlington, IA
11 Scott Rathke RB Jun-00 235 Fr Iowa City, IA
12 Nick Whisler QB 3-Jun 195 Fr Iowa City, IA
13 Isaac Lightfoot DB Jun-00 187 Fr Flint, MI
16 Jon Beutjer QB 5-Jun 185 Fr Wheaton, IL
19 John Gockman PK 10-May 165 Fr Coal City, IL
20 Chris Smith DB Jun-00 190 Fr Paris, TX
21 Matt Schmitz RB 11-May 185 Fr Wall Lake, IA
22 Dan Williams WR 2-Jun 180 Fr Midlothian, VA
23 Jon Omotola LB 4-Jun 225 Fr Flossmoor, IL
25 Darius Brown DB 9-May 175 Fr Altadena, CA
32 Siaka Massaquoi RB 11-May 195 Fr Evanston, IL
34 Aaron Greving RB 11-May 190 Fr Ames, IA
35 Erik Jensen FB 3-Jun 242 Fr Appleton, WI
38 Fred Barr LB 2-Jun 225 Fr Plantation, FL
39 Jon Pettlon DL 3-Jun 245 Fr Winthrop, IA
40 Edgar Cervantes LB 3-Jun 235 Fr Maywood, CA
41 Vincent Wilson DB 10-May 175 Fr Piscataway, NJ
43 Grant Steen LB 3-Jun 210 Fr Emmetsburg, IA
49 Jory Helms LB 2-Jun 220 Fr Chicago, IL
55 Adam Densmore OL 4-Jun 275 Fr Boulder, CO
57 Will Lack OL 3-Jun 250 Fr Nora Springs, IA
57 Brian Meidlinger OL 6-Jun 280 Fr Council Bluffs, IA
58 Nick Rahfaldt OL 3-Jun 255 Fr Ames, IA
59 John Mickelson OL 5-Jun 210 Fr W. Des Moines, IA
61 Jason Hoveland OL 5-Jun 285 Fr Rowley, IA
64 Pete Traynor OL 3-Jun 260 Fr Milton, WI
66 Erik Chinander OL Jun-00 295 Fr Allison, IA
68 David Walters OL 3-Jun 285 Fr Marlton, NJ
70 Andy Lightfoot OL 7-Jun 275 Fr Des Plaines, IL
72 Bruce Nelson OL 4-Jun 270 Fr Emmetsburg, IA
72 Eric Rothwell OL 3-Jun 285 Fr McFarland, WI
75 Kory Borchers DL 6-Jun 260 Fr LeMars, IA
76 BJ Van Briesen OL 3-Jun 295 Fr George, IA
76 Sam Aiello OL 7-Jun 290 Fr Streamwood, IL
78 Jared Clauss DL 5-Jun 260 Fr West Des Moines, IA
81 Maurice Brown WR 2-Jun 190 Fr Ft. Lauderdale, FL
84 Ramon Ochoa WR 10-May 185 Fr Maywood, CA
85 Robert Gallery TE 7-Jun 240 Fr Masonville, IA
89 Eric Steinbach TE 7-Jun 255 Fr New Lenox, IL
90 Dallas Clark LB 4-Jun 235 Fr Livermore, IA
90 John Morscheiser II TE 4-Jun 235 Fr LaSalle, IL
92 Dusty DeVries DL 3-Jun 240 Fr Aplington, IA
93 Ryan Fulsaas DL 2-Jun 205 Fr Ridgeway, IA
94 Colin Cole DL 2-Jun 280 Fr Plantation, FL

Maybe Colin Cole, Aaron Greving, Sam Aiello, Massaquoi, Jared Clauss and Bruce Nelson were the most highly recruited? Jon Beutjer? Fred Barr? I have no idea.

I just don't recall alot of hype surrounding anyone above, but of course Scout, Rivals and 247 and ESPN.com weren't around doing all these recruiting rankings. You had Wallace and Lemming ranking teams, not sure who else and no one that I know was rating thousands of players back then and certainly not to the extent of today.

Here is list of Sophs from 1999 roster:
1 Tim Dodge WR 10-May 170 So Britt, IA
3 Kahlil Hill WR 3-Jun 185 So Iowa City, IA
4 Kyle McCann QB 5-Jun 190 So Creston, IA
6 Chris Oliver WR 2-Jun 198 So Flossmoor, IL
8 Mikkel Brown DB 10-May 187 So Glen Rock, NJ
10 Shane Hall DB Jun-00 195 So Burnsville, MN
15 Robbie Crockett RB Jun-00 207 So Battle Creek, MI
18 Adam Jelinek DB 11-May 185 So Solon, IA
19 DJ Johnson DB 11-May 185 So Naperville, IL
21 Matt Stockdale DB 11-May 186 So Iowa Falls, IA
28 Cody O'Hare DL 4-Jun 255 So Waverly, IA
30 Roger Meyer LB 3-Jun 245 So Rock Rapids, IA
39 Mike Dolezal LB 3-Jun 230 So Mahtomedi, MN
46 Ladell Betts RB 11-May 206 So Blue Springs, MO
47 Jeremy Allen FB 1-Jun 240 So Indianapolis, IN
54 Aaron Kampman LB 4-Jun 245 So Kesley, IA
60 Christoph Trappe OL 3-Jun 285 So Dusseldorf, Germany
73 Shawn Koranda DL 2-Jun 255 So Sun Prairie, WI
73 David Porter OL 7-Jun 290 So Belleville, IL
74 Alonzo Cunningham OL 4-Jun 295 So Iowa City, IA
89 Matt St Germain DL 2-Jun 240 So Cedar Rapids, IA
91 Jerry Montgomery DL 3-Jun 290 So Mesquite, NV

Some of these would be RS SOPHs so not in Hayden's last 2 classes.
Just guessing but maybe Kahlil Hill, Robbie Crockett, Ladell Betts, David Porter were the highest recruited players?? Outside of Betts (maybe Hill?), no once jumps off the page to me with "oh yeah, he was supposed to be good".

Last edited:
With all the transfers, off field problems, poor recruiting, playcalling, game management, and downward trending program it is obvious there is a disconnect with the Kurt regime on so many levels. Has the game of college football today passed him by. I am thinking it has. His old school ways are not working on almost every level. It is absolutley sad. We should see more consistency and there shouldn't be peaks and valleys with what Iowa has. The structure is here on every level for a consistently strong and succesful program. Why isn't it happening?

What disconnect? Everything's great in Iowa City! Kirk is "comfortable with everything!!"

More importantly, what were the star rankings of the 1999 roster?

:)

Haven't been able to find it. Just remember some news articles about how HF had turned things around and the classes were considered top 25 after a drop off in previous years. He also seemed a lot like in 1990 or so when at the Big Ten media days all he said was, "We're going to have a fine football team this year", on the way to a 10-1 season that few expected.

Regardless, there is trouble right here in River City....

Latest posts