Where Hawkeyes Head After Missing Out on D.J. Carton

What is Noah Hutchins story? He is from Buffalo so I going to assume he is a tough minded kid. Is he one of these under the radar East Coast kids(technically Buffalo is not East Coast)that we all assumed Fran would be able to pull in on a regular basis?

What is Noah Hutchins story? He is from Buffalo so I going to assume he is a tough minded kid. Is he one of these under the radar East Coast kids(technically Buffalo is not East Coast)that we all assumed Fran would be able to pull in on a regular basis?

Could be considered the Eastside though.....

I also thought that Fran would have influence on the East Coast, especially Philly.....

:cool:

I am originally from Bettendorf, but because that ungrateful traitor is on the team I will be boycotting Bettendorf basketball for at least 1 year. I may also boycott Bettendorf football this year.

Last edited:

He plays for same AAU program that produced Melsahn Basabe. Kevin Huerter and many others have played for City Rocks.

I like Hutchins but don’t see him being a better option than Locure.

JMO, but I highly doubt we land Suggs. I’m holding out hope we can bring in an underrated PG the next few years who will shut Carton down every time he visits CHA.

He plays for same AAU program that produced Melsahn Basabe. Kevin Huerter and many others have played for City Rocks.

Not sure how I feel about this. Locure seems to be a bit of a project. Which means Conner will have to do a lot of heavy lifting the next 3 years.

Fran has already stated that he's not going to bring in a PG just to bring one in. It's possible that Hutchins and Locure still don't get offers and Fran decides to stand pat at the position.

They're similar players. Personally, I was more impressed with Hutchins on tape, but not by a wide margin.

Fran has already stated that he's not going to bring in a PG just to bring one in. It's possible that Hutchins and Locure still don't get offers and Fran decides to stand pat at the position.

They're similar players. Personally, I was more impressed with Hutchins on tape, but not by a wide margin.
Fran "stood pat" last season and ended up 4-14 in conference play. Getting his brakes beaten off by double digits more than half of those 14 losses.
On second thought....maybe Gutless Gary and Fran will "stand pat" until someone fires their arses. We could be so lucky.

Look, to me it’s simple, 5* players want to go to teams who make NCAA tournaments. This is currently not the state of Iowa basketball. I wish it was, but its not and Fran will whiff on recruits again and again until they are consistent sweet 16 contenders. Xavier foster will be next. There are some rare examples (Ben Simmons and Michael porter come to mind)

Weiskamp could be an aberration, but time will tell.

In my opinion we need to get a PG in this class. I’m not sold on Cmac and at somepoint he may focus on baseball anyway. Don’t want to be in a spot where we are forced to start another true freshman at PG who would likely be a mid level PG at best (given past recruiting of PGs). It’s nice to say we are in on Jalen Suggs but that’s a long shot so we’d be moving down to lower options.

We still need to chase the 4 and 5 star players. If we do not, we will still attack Fran for not shooting high enough. Yeah. The competition is extremely high and the candidate can only select one school. When he selects from his top three, the coaches of the other two will be criticized by their fan bases. As Kurt Vonnegut would say "so it goes."

I am not ready to write off Conner Mc. I know it was a really limited view, but I saw some leadership capability on the floor that was pretty impressive. Good passer. Understands floor balance. Is he quick enough to guard big time point guards? Don't know, but won't decide until I see evidence one way or the other. Shooting? Again, that is a bit of a mystery, but the perfect point guard is a rare event. Some very good ones have not necessarily been big time scorers. And JaBo, who can really score points, has his own weaknesses, which have been pointed out on this site on numerous occasions. BTW, any of you who really think that Conner is a stopper for commitment from other quality point guards, then tell everyone that he is not going to be very good, should consider your logic. OK. I guess you can fall back on Fran playing his son ahead of a more talented point guard. Really? Really?

Well, of COURSE Fran won't just "bring one in". Why in the world would we want an actual player at FIVE positions on the floor when we can have FOUR positions covered and one which the currently highly-paid coach has zero ability to cover?

This charade has to stop. Iowa basketball shouldn't be the Fran School For Talented Sons And Sometimes We Win Games Too. Either make the NCAA tournament or bust.

I get what you mean since they are very similar players but Locure was unranked and committed to South Alabama. Hutchins is ranked and at least has offers from power 5 schools. Granted it's Wake Forrest and Temple. I know that recruiting services and offers don't mean much and maybe had Locure had more offers he would have also been ranked. But Iowa isn't the only in state school not to offer him.

I liked Hutchins tape a little better. Very similar playing styles for sure. I also don't want Iowa just taking the fall back recruit if that recruit is just gonna fill a roster spot. I want Iowa to take the player that will help them win.

This is of course all moot if Hutchins isn't interested in Iowa. We are a little late to the party on him and he knows that he would be the fall back recruit.

Regardless I think Frans seat is starting to get hotter than his temper. Barta needs to be fired first though. Can't have him hiring the next BBall coach. It's not over for Fran yet but if we only win 4 conference games again this year it would be hard to explain him not being fired.

I am originally from Bettendorf, but because that ungrateful traitor is on the team I will be boycotting Bettendorf basketball for at least 1 year. I may also boycott Bettendorf football this year.
This is why recruits name home teams until they have to commit. High school kids are not "traitors". This kind of thinking is sad. That would make some of the greatest Hawkeyes in Iowa history "traitors", as most come from other states. I respect this kid more as he is letting the coaches turn to other prospects and he knows some people will certainly dislike his choice. Problem is he just got too good too fast.

Latest posts