Where do we go after Saturday's loss?

KatoZenti

I watched the game in disgust with this pathetic offensive output that produced only 66 yards of total offense. People need to be either fired or reassigned their duties right away or after this season.

Any suggestions on possible candidates that could lead a better offense than what we saw?

We need to look outside the program and need to stop promoting from within. Brian Ferentz isn't the answer as OC.

Iowa rolls on like a mighty river. The seasons come and go. Glaciers inch toward the ocean, trees in the forest sprout, grow strong and die, the planets spin across the universe, stars die, the earth's crust shifts and Iowa goes 7- 5 or 8-4 bye and bye.

https://www.landof10.com/iowa/iowa-hawkeyes-recalibrate-goals-big-ten-title-hopes-dashed

While the major goals have evaporated, a few smaller numbers sit out there for Iowa. If the Hawkeyes win their final two games plus the bowl, that will mark only the 14th time the program has won nine games in a season. A 9-4 Iowa likely ends up in the final national rankings for the seventh time under Ferentz.

Iowa has lost five straight bowl games, including the last three collectively 120-47. The last bowl victory came in 2010 against Missouri in the Insight Bowl. This could be a chance for this year's team to break that streak.

Pardon my cuttin' n pastin' ...

The Hawks will swing back toward their below average mean against Purdue. The D will give them enough opportunities so they can eek out a 23-18 W. Then they'll blow Nebby's doors off with a 35+ point outburst that gets the rubes bonered up and back to goofy comments like "turned a corner", so they can deliver the nut-punch reality check in another, over-rewarded, out-matched New Year's bowl game. (Thank you traveling Iowa fans!!)

It's the eternal pendulum of derKirkFer's Iowa Hawkeyes. Sorta weird for a guy who emphasizes such monotone, emotion, knowing who they are, playing with predictible strategy and fundamentally sound execution, to have this pendulum so profoundly dictate to him / his team when you'd think he and his team would dictate to it.

"That's football." ... The endless cycle of inexplicable losses and wins ... these exemplify that he's really not that great at knowing who his teams are and getting them to consistently perform what they should do well. So, he does what many do when they are uncertain what to do ... revert back to dogma (despite all of it's inherent obstacles and flaws) and let the chips fall.

The chevy Malibu we're driving gets more comfortable year after year.

Yeah, I'd really like to be driving that Escalade, but this Malibu, well, I'm comfortable with it.

So, just change the oil please and I'll keep driving this thing for eternity.

Where do we go?

Looks like the Foster Farms Bowl!

Then we have something in common. We raise turkeys who nest under our fandom roof and who are being taken very good care of. Most of the time they do just enough to get by. It also helps that that the pen next to us has a bunch of ISU chickens in it. We brag of how much better we are compared to those dirty chickens. Unfortunate Farmer Barta sees that one major mis-turn could lead us into chicken eternity so he keeps them turkeys.

Meanwhile eagles are nesting on the roof laughing their asses off from their Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan State, Penn State, half of the SEC, and a quarter of the ACC, and a quarter of the PAC ten perches pointing at us laughing at us. Some laugh at us so hard that they fall off once in a while and get turkey feces all over them but they soon clean themselves off and are quickly back on their perches mocking us.

A few neighbors come by every now and then and suggest to farmer Barta that he get rid of the turkeys, but Barta just shrugs his shoulders and talks about how he likes the turkeys while looking out of the corner of his eye at the chickens close by. Farmer Barta takes some solace due to the fact that several local citizens Iike the turkeys especially in comparison to the stinky ISU chicken pens. Nevermind that neither the turkeys or chickens can ever fly or soar through the air.

Some citizens who have liked and supported Farmer Barta and the turkeys are concerned and beginning to have doubts as the smell from the turkey pen is starting to smell as bad at the chicken pen. They have also noticed that one of turkeys that has been around for a very long time has gotten very fat and is starting to meow like a cat. Still they are hesitant to say much as for years they have supported farmer Barta and tossed corn and other grain at the fat cat meowing turkey. One of the offspring of the fat cat turkey has been trying to pretend he is an eagle but every time he jumps up and tries to fly he goes a few feet and then crashes back down into the turkey feces at the feet of the fat cat turkey who shakes his head at him and reminds him that this is in a turkey pen and we are not sexy eagles and that he should just keep running the damn ball behind the zone blocking.

What a world, what a world.................... I think I am melting. o_O

Last edited:
I gotta say, the same people who were so very silent last week are certainly very loud this week.

Look, here's where we go from here:

1) Back to practice. The same plays that worked against OSU didn't against Wisconsin because of fixable mistakes like dropped balls.

2) On Saturday, we go to Kinnick and plaster Purdue's defense (hopefully), and watch a pretty damned good Iowa defense stifle their offense.

3) We go back to practice and make damned sure there won't be those dropped balls.

4) We go to Lincoln and make sure Mike Riley isn't around next season.

5) With 9 wins under our belts against the 9th toughest schedule in the country, we go back to practice awaiting our bowl game. Hell, it might be a January bowl game, who knows.

6) We turn the tide against our recent streak of bowl losses.

I know how much everybody hates to hear it, but it really is one game at a time. And nobody is getting fired over a really ugly loss to a better-than-expected undefeated likely playoff contender in Wisconsin. If you think that's going to happen, you're out of your mind. So where do we go from here? We finish up today and then we hit tomorrow. And the next day, and the day after that, one by one until the season is over or the days are spent. But seriously, all this doom and gloom is tiresome. Next game, please.

The chevy Malibu we're driving gets more comfortable year after year.

Yeah, I'd really like to be driving that Escalade, but this Malibu, well, I'm comfortable with it.

So, just change the oil please and I'll keep driving this thing for eternity.

It used to be an Impala or Caprice, but since Wisky and Sprty passed us by, I can see that its a Malibu

I watched the game in disgust with this pathetic offensive output that produced only 66 yards of total offense. People need to be either fired or reassigned their duties right away or after this season.

Any suggestions on possible candidates that could lead a better offense than what we saw?

We need to look outside the program and need to stop promoting from within. Brian Ferentz isn't the answer as OC.
Beat Purdue.That is all.Hawk Players tough.

Wisconsin isn't the game to be pissed at. It's the games Iowa should have won. Like Northwestern and Michigan State. Wisconsin was a better team.

This is the exact point I have been saying since 2005, which was one of the first times jNW bit KF'S ass. it is very tiring to see these players put in positions of losing games like msu and jNW this year.

if Felton I think his name is is msu's best receiver why was ojamudia on him instead of jackson? boom msu 14-0 before game 10 minutes old. yes hawk players lost 3 crucial fumbles against msu but we also called 30 run plays into a brick wall and after Nate his his first deep pass we didn't try another one.

and at jNW I think the hawks went on 4th and 7 from the 27 on the first Drive oops no points. yes tough wind but 4th and 7? and then with a 7 point halftime lead KF gives the mild cats the wind to start the third qtr with the ball. the hawks were behind on field position the whole 3rd qtr. for cripes sake take the win play tough defense crowding their offense, make them punt and get the ball around midfield, then take it in to go up 14-0, then repeat.

sick of seeing players put in tough positions due to bad game mgmt.

I gotta say, the same people who were so very silent last week are certainly very loud this week.

1) Back to practice. The same plays that worked against OSU didn't against Wisconsin because of fixable mistakes like dropped balls.

2) On Saturday, we go to Kinnick and plaster Purdue's defense (hopefully), and watch a pretty damned good Iowa defense stifle their offense.

3) We go back to practice and make damned sure there won't be those dropped balls.

5) With 9 wins under our belts against the 9th toughest schedule in the country, we go back to practice awaiting our bowl game. Hell, it might be a January bowl game, who knows.

I know how much everybody hates to hear it, but it really is one game at a time. And nobody is getting fired over a really ugly loss to a better-than-expected undefeated likely playoff contender in Wisconsin. If you think that's going to happen, you're out of your mind. So where do we go from here? We finish up today and then we hit tomorrow. And the next day, and the day after that, one by one until the season is over or the days are spent. But seriously, all this doom and gloom is tiresome. Next game, please.

good post and this is how life is.

just one correction in #5 is we can have 8 wins at most going into a bowl game. I am optimistic yet this staff should be dominating jNW Isu and playing better against sparty and wisky

I don't get that "doom and gloom" vibe. I get that same ol' / same ol' vibe ...
... that vibe of stagnation ... the 'That's football' (at least under KirkFer) vibe.

Of course, we fans just have to accept that it is what it is and there's nothing we can do about it. However, we fans also have to hope that KF, Staff and players DON'T accept that.

That's what rubs me ... I think KF tends to accept it by doubling down on his dogmatic strategies that over-rely on execution (regardless of the players' capabilities), produce inherent obstacles to success, neglect opponents' weaknesses and disregard opportunities to seize physical and emotional control of game situations.

As a Hawkeye fan, first, I thoroughly enjoy the 2002's and 2004's and 2015's and occasional upsets. I also recognize that those are the anomolies where he stumbled into guys with enough talent and attitude to overcome the shackles his schemes and strategies create. Slightly below to slightly above average is the norm.

It's why I've been critical and wishing he would be replaced for over a decade. I firmly believe his schemes and strategies are WHY for for every Michigan, Penn St or Ohio St there are two NwU, ISU, N Dak St, W Mich.

"One game at a time" implies focus, adaptation and preparation, not the box of chocolates the Hawks display. It's to the point now where the inexplicable highs and lows get more extreme, the pendulum swing gets wider and wider and the only consistently reliable performance to expect is an inconsistent and unreliable performance.

Latest posts