Where did the rushing defense go?

BirdsOfPrey

The Hawkeyes defense held 4 of their first 5 opponents to less than 90 yards total rushing. That's an outstanding effort by the defense. Pitt was the only team to gain more yards on Iowa and they featured one of the top runners in the country. After a tough first half, Iowa locked down on Conner and shut him down in the 2nd half of the Pitt game. Strange, after a bye week and time to heal, our defense disappeared. Indiana ripped Iowa for over 300 yards rushing. The majority of that yardage came on a half dozen big runs. Maryland racked up over 200 yards on the Hawks. Indiana has one of the top running backs in the country and their rushing offense was highly rated, but Maryland was not supposed to have a strong running game. Iowa's rushing defense was supposed to be a defensive strength while the secondary gained experience. A few weeks ago, I would have bet that Iowa could shut down the rushing games of upcoming opponents - Northwestern, Minnesota, Wisconson and Nebraska especially with those teams seemingly one dimensional offenses. Now, I'm not sure. What's happened to our rushing defense? Injuries? Poor tackling? Is it a product of too many 3 & outs by our offense that has kept the defense on the field way too long? Personally, I think Spearman's suspension will help our linebackers improve. The Hawks need more speed at that position. Were the Hawks focusing on stopping the passing game? Hopefully, the bye week has given the Hawks time to heal and re-find their stout rushing defense as that's going to be the key to winning these last 5 games. Go Hawks!!

I think its a combination of many factors you mentioned. Most, our LBs are inexperienced and are out of position, take poor angles, and miss tackles. Teams are watching film and seeing this weakness. Occupy our linemen and let the LBs have to try to make plays and they get exposed.

Our offensive and special teams woes exaggerate this by low TOP and bad field position. I think the defense will improve but we were counting on it being a lot faster than it has been.

It's not just the lbs. At times our ends aren't holding the edge very well. Our lb core is not scraping real well either. Our safeties are taking poor angles and everyone has been poor in tackling. Trying to shoulder tackle vs a wrapping up. These things along with our hurry up o that goes three and out leads to more success for other teams running games. We all like the rhythm we get in the hurry up at times but with this d going back to a huddle and moe ball control approach might not hurt.

I'm really hoping we blitz LESS, take less pressure off our young LB's./
We have a Very Veteran Defensive Line & they need to pick it up, too.
With LTP, Big Carl, Otter, Meier and Hardy, with JJ and Faith rotating the group should
wreak havoc and let LB's fill and flow.

Some very good points.

Much better tackling and we arent talking about a lot of these big plays and yards.

Not only are guys not wrapping up but they are tackling too high and getting shrugged off. Need to tackle waist down and lower.

They say in baseball you have to have the up the middle defense to win big, great catching, pitching, shortstop and 2nd basemen, and centerfielder. The hawks have the DTackles but Alston and the other lbkr who is somewhat behind the DLine and the safeties are not at a high enough level. Lowdermilk admitted as much about his own play.

The Lbkrs and Safeties need to do a better job of playing inside-out leverage.

Another thing, Kirksey and Hitchens were faster.

Latest posts