Where Are They Now? Greg Brunner

RobHowe

Administrator
Remembering the Northwestern St. Collapse, Dealing with Pierre Pierce Fallout, Playing for Steve Alford & Finding Himself During Long Pro Career Overseas:

LINK

Great article, great guy.

It's one thing when a bunch of forum posters like us complain that the basketball gods don't smile on us often enough.

It's another thing entirely when an actual player mentions it.

Now I'm even more heartbroken over the NW State loss. Bruner would have needed only one more game to reach 1,000 career rebounds.

So that Alford/Pierce deal was fracturing relationships with the women's team and Steve still acted high and mighty and smug and continued to defend Pierre?

I have a daughter about to attend college. My respect for Alford just went from zero to negative:(

Great article, great guy.

It's one thing when a bunch of forum posters like us complain that the basketball gods don't smile on us often enough.

It's another thing entirely when an actual player mentions it.

Now I'm even more heartbroken over the NW State loss. Bruner would have needed only one more game to reach 1,000 career rebounds.

So that Alford/Pierce deal was fracturing relationships with the women's team and Steve still acted high and mighty and smug and continued to defend Pierre?

I have a daughter about to attend college. My respect for Alford just went from zero to negative:(
One thing this article did is confirm my thoughts about Bluder being a great ambassador for Iowa.

I see him on a weekly basis at work in our cafeteria. It's still weird since I watched him play while in college at Iowa.

I agree, it was a good article. That was one of the more difficult season ending games in Iowa history. Some thought we were at least on tract to make it to the elite eight and possibly challenge for a final four. I think that loss really put a bad look on Alford along with the Pierce situation.

Horner and Brunner had to be grownups the day they stepped on campus. In a lot of cases they were Alford’s shield from the media. Those 2 took on a lot of shit, thank goodness they had the maturity to handle it.

A nice run in the 05-06 tournament should have been their reward for their sacrifice. Alford didn’t have his best game coaching that Northwestern St. game. The meltdown, you could feel it falling apart, it sucked.

Last edited:
That was a great article, Rob. Did he twitch or look away when he said Fran has Iowa moving in the right direction?
You are nothing if not consistent. I great article about an outstanding individual and you had to end your post with a negative comment about Fran. I will take a wild stab in the dark and guess that Brunner knows more about Fran than you do.

Thanks,Rob, for another great article about a great Hawkeye. Greg has remained one of my favorite Hawkeyes and that team was really fun to watch.

Great article, great Hawkeye. I would imagine it’s especially painful for him because he missed a FT that would have put Iowa up 3. I remember him laid out on the floor after it was over. He deserved better.

They were in a brutal bracket that year too. West Virginia was the 6 seed & Texas was the 2. LSU at 4 and Duke at 1 on the other side.

I always liked Brunner, seemed like a perfect fit for a hockey player.

Nice to hear about how these former athletes are doing...thanks for the article. Glad he is doing well and pushing on.

Actually, I don't remember that Northwestern State game...which is a good thing it seems.

Great article, great Hawkeye. I would imagine it’s especially painful for him because he missed a FT that would have put Iowa up 3. I remember him laid out on the floor after it was over. He deserved better.

They were in a brutal bracket that year too. West Virginia was the 6 seed & Texas was the 2. LSU at 4 and Duke at 1 on the other side.
I think that miss was the front end of a one and one. He could have put the Hawks up four and potentially iced the game.

It was the not the first time in Brunner's career that his season had ended on a three point buzzer beater. A kid named Drejaj hit one from the other corner for Saint Louis in the 2004 NIT which was the final game for Jared Reiner, Brody Boyd, and Glen Worley.

NW State missed a two and the ball bounced right to their guy. Guys makes a fade away three from the corner. Still remember the dejection in Dolph's voice. Still unbelievable.

That was a great article, Rob. Did he twitch or look away when he said Fran has Iowa moving in the right direction?

Love Brunner, but I did give a chuckle when he said we got to keep the fans behind Fran. Wouldn't that indicate things might not be going in the right direction. :)

NWST Game was BRUTAL.. Iowa should of never lost that game.Fact is they shouldn't have even been in the position to lose.

NW State missed a two and the ball bounced right to their guy. Guys makes a fade away three from the corner. Still remember the dejection in Dolph's voice. Still unbelievable.
He was behind the freaking backboard, where few guys other than Larry Bird could make shots. Haluska's hand was right in his face. There is no way he could have seen what he was shooting at. And you're right, he was fading away. I was listening to Dolph also and remember the dejection. Bobby Hansen, who played with Michael Jordan in his prime and saw a few unbelievable shots in his day, could only mutter "It wasn't meant to be".

NW State had a guy named Clifton Lee who spearheaded the big comeback with hot shooting down the stretch. They were deeper and quicker. And they haven't done anything of real consequence since. Just looking at that floor if Oakland University is on Sports center or something makes my stomach queasy.