Where are Nixon’s people at?

IAHocks82

When you were projected as a first round, you can make the case that leaving would have been beneficial, but now he’s listed below Kellon Monde on the rankings of available players, how did nobody tell him that coming back would be beneficial toward his future?
I know it’s a dream and a major risk to stay, but there is insurance for that so you’re not completely SOL. Did nobody give him a run down of the pros and cons of this decision?
I don’t religiously follow most Iowa players like a lot of you do once they leave Iowa, my commitment is to the program but I do want them to succeed to the best of their potential, and I just feel this was sorely mishandled by his “people.”
That, or this staff really let one slip.

When you were projected as a first round, you can make the case that leaving would have been beneficial, but now he’s listed below Kellon Monde on the rankings of available players, how did nobody tell him that coming back would be beneficial toward his future?
I know it’s a dream and a major risk to stay, but there is insurance for that so you’re not completely SOL. Did nobody give him a run down of the pros and cons of this decision?
I don’t religiously follow most Iowa players like a lot of you do once they leave Iowa, my commitment is to the program but I do want them to succeed to the best of their potential, and I just feel this was sorely mishandled by his “people.”
That, or this staff really let one slip.
ROFLcopter....

He’s likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder and you think he should’ve come back? At a position with the 2nd highest rate of serious injury in a league with a life expectancy of four years even if you’re healthy?

K..........

He'll go no later then 3rd round. Maybe 2nd. That's still good $ to start with and as is the case with any to be NFL player you want to get your clock started ASAP. The way the rookie contracts are structured unless you're a top half of the 1st round pick or so below that you're not getting generational wealth right out of the gate.

It's getting to that 2nd contract healthy and playing your best ball that you want to strive for. (Like Kittle just did) If you're too good and valuable you end up like Scherffs and get franchise tagged. Nice problem to have. But Nixon made the right choice going even if he falls to the 4th round which he won't. DTs can make dang good money. Look at what Watt and Donald have pulled down. He most likely won't get to their level but anywhere near it would set him up the rest of his life.

ROFLcopter....

He’s likely a 2nd or 3rd rounder and you think he should’ve come back? At a position with the 2nd highest rate of serious injury in a league with a life expectancy of four years even if you’re healthy?

K..........

Note his screenname...it's a subtle troll

I do think that if Nixon came back and replicated 2020 he would have had a good shot at being a first rounder. But, I do not begrudge him jumping when he did. He is older, been through a lot, and had a great year.

I don't think it's as much him as it is his position. DT is not very deep this year and there aren't other DT's that were deemed worthy of a 1st round pick. Because of that, teams could focus on other positions with elite talent. Unless you want the 10th best WR or CB, you had better get one early. There were no safeties picked last night either because it's not a deep draft for safeties either. The best DT (and safety) are still on the board for tonight. Once a team pops the DT cherry, there will be a run on them to get the best DT they can. Last night, there was no sense of urgency. It's also as important of a position as others (WR, QB, CB, etc).

We will miss him. Great kid, damn good player. Regardless of what round comes for him he will likely have a good NFL career and be richer than most of us. Good for him.

I do think that if Nixon came back and replicated 2020 he would have had a good shot at being a first rounder. But, I do not begrudge him jumping when he did. He is older, been through a lot, and had a great year.
Also one thing a lot of people don't think about, is that school isn't for everyone. He had a lot of academic struggles just to get to play at Iowa, and he might not like that kind of drudgery.

A person can make a damn good living in multiple ways without a college degree, and being a pro football player (as long as you don't get in troublke) will never hurt your resume.

Disclaimer: I don't know Dayvion personally and this post was not meant to say he's a shitty student or not up to the task. Maybe he already graduated for all I know. But in 2021 a college degree is becoming less and less important to making a stable living than it was in the 80s and 90s.

Also one thing a lot of people don't think about, is that school isn't for everyone. He had a lot of academic struggles just to get to play at Iowa, and he might not like that kind of drudgery.

A person can make a damn good living in multiple ways without a college degree, and being a pro football player (as long as you don't get in troublke) will never hurt your resume.

Disclaimer: I don't know Dayvion personally and this post was not meant to say he's a shitty student or not up to the task. Maybe he already graduated for all I know. But in 2021 a college degree is becoming less and less important to making a stable living than it was in the 80s and 90s.

you’re right a degree has less value than it used to but you’re wrong (partially) in your initial post to me. The league and NCAA have been making it safer to play the lines the last few years, taking away blocking techniques that were allowed back when I played. The difference between first round money and 3rd round money can be quite large, if we take injury rates into account though, so either way.

Let me rephrase my original sentiment into “I hope he has people that were talking to him seriously about the benefits of playing college again one more year.” Last I heard (right after the season) some were projecting him as a first rounder. Then Barrmore had a phenomenal post season at Bama and I think all the accolades Nixon had earned were overlooked.

Yeah which I don't think is a worry of his. Players are always confident in their abilities. It then becomes the risk/reward of injury and starting their clocks towards the 2nd contract. They only have so many years of playing football in their prime. One of em being for free in college or in the NFL is the balancing act.

Hindsight is the only way of knowing for sure what the right way to do about anything is

you’re right a degree has less value than it used to but you’re wrong (partially) in your initial post to me. The league and NCAA have been making it safer to play the lines the last few years, taking away blocking techniques that were allowed back when I played. The difference between first round money and 3rd round money can be quite large, if we take injury rates into account though, so either way.

Let me rephrase my original sentiment into “I hope he has people that were talking to him seriously about the benefits of playing college again one more year.” Last I heard (right after the season) some were projecting him as a first rounder. Then Barrmore had a phenomenal post season at Bama and I think all the accolades Nixon had earned were overlooked.
I 100% guarantee that people smarter than you and I, who know WAY more about the NFL process and what his best route is are guiding him through this.

Yeah which I don't think is a worry of his. Players are always confident in their abilities. It then becomes the risk/reward of injury and starting their clocks towards the 2nd contract. They only have so many years of playing football in their prime. One of em being for free in college or in the NFL is the balancing act.

Hindsight is the only way of knowing for sure what the right way to do about anything is
Yep. Ask Jake Butt whether he would’ve come back for his senior year. He got a $500k payout from insurance and now his career is pretty much toast because of complications of that first ACL injury. He got a decent contract when he finally did start, but a two time Mackey winner would’ve likely had a major career and made upper 8 figures.

Yep. Ask Jake Butt whether he would’ve come back for his senior year. He got a $500k payout from insurance and now his career is pretty much toast because of complications of that first ACL injury. He got a decent contract when he finally did start, but a two time Mackey winner would’ve likely had a major career and made upper 8 figures.
Yup and Noah Fant probably wouldn't be in Denver either. Him getting hurt opened up that door. It's nuts how all the dominos to things work.

I saw an article in the Athletic a while ago where they said some teams had completely taken him off their boards due to some “red flags” and he was expected to fall. I just thought that was some disinformation or whatever

I saw an article in the Athletic a while ago where they said some teams had completely taken him off their boards due to some “red flags” and he was expected to fall. I just thought that was some disinformation or whatever
“Character concerns.”
Rich, coming from a league with rapists, murderers and women beaters all over.

There have still been only 5 DT's taken. There were 3 DT's taken in round 3. Two are the smallish types and the other is a zero technique and will play in a 3-4. It's all about what a team needs.

Having said that, I thought he'd be picked by now, but he's there to steal.

I think it has to be that teams are scared off by "off-field concerns". He's way too talented and produced too much last year to not have been drafted by now.